NF-Should winter tires be mandatory in Ontario

LostAnotherOne

I love winter tires.

that being said, how in the heck would you enforce a winter tire law?

We have enough interference from the GOV id rather keep it to each their own.

Just my opinion though and I realise itll be different for alot of you'se that drive in heavy traffic.

and too those that practice in parking lots ive always done the same and forced my better half to as well. you never know how you'll react or your vehicle in rough winter conditions until it happens. so why not make it a semi controlled environment?

not gonna lie either, its pretty fun

I love winter tires.

that being said, how in the heck would you enforce a winter tire law?

We have enough interference from the GOV id rather keep it to each their own.

Just my opinion though and I realise itll be different for alot of you'se that drive in heavy traffic.

and too those that practice in parking lots ive always done the same and forced my better half to as well. you never know how you'll react or your vehicle in rough winter conditions until it happens. so why not make it a semi controlled environment?

not gonna lie either, its pretty fun

Pretty easy to enforce.

You smash up with summers on, you get a fine

I don't think they should be mandatory. There are a lot of folks that cannot afford the additional expense. The ones I just bought were over 1k when all said and done.

That said I do get a 10% discount on my insurance.

We are legislated enough in the country/province.

However I would be 100% in favour of a fine should a driver be involved in a collision and not have proper tires for the winter. Careless perhaps?

I travel the 401 for work, and worry about those without proper tires or that are over confidant because they have BIG tires (heard this before) or 4x4....

The stretch between Brighton and Kingston is brutal in winter, with multiple closures per year...

Should people have the proper winter tires on thier car? Absolutely. Should it be mandated? No. Should those without proper tires be charged if they take out a family on the 401? Without a doubt!

G

Personally I think it is the drivers more than the tires that cause accidents, in winter or summer. Left my house last week the afternoon of the storm, road was plowed reasonably. On my residential street. Was behind a driver doing 15kmh. They were completely petrified to drive in the 'reasonable' conditions. Had no clue how to drive in the conditions. Should not have a licence.

Personally I am originally from up north, and learned how to drive in winter conditions on a lake. Nothing to hit, but learned to control the vehicle on ice and snow.

However I would be 100% in favour of a fine should a driver be involved in a collision and not have proper tires for the winter. Careless perhaps?

Careless is quite the charge if you slide into the back of someone at 5km/h.. I like the idea of a steep insurance discount, then it's up to the individual.. Savings are there if you want them..

Careless is quite the charge if you slide into the back of someone at 5km/h.. I like the idea of a steep insurance discount, then it's up to the individual.. Savings are there if you want them..

Perhaps, you are correct. However given my commute on the 401 it would be 70-80km depending on the conditions. I have seen some terrible accidents on this stretch of pavement. Perhaps the fine should be In Line with the damage done and if their are palpable injury ( other then sprains or strains) but you raise a good point.

G

Edited by Gerritt

If there was no genuine benefit, then insurance companies wouldn't give a substantial discount. They're pretty good at doing math and assessing risk.

Their cost savings is also proportional to the amount of driving you do, experience of the driver, etc. Someone who drives 200km a day on the hwy is going to realize more savings than the guy who drives 5 kms a day and not on the hwy (and i don't care if that guy doesn't have winters).

I don't think they should be mandatory. There are a lot of folks that cannot afford the additional expense. The ones I just bought were over 1k when all said and done.

That said I do get a 10% discount on my insurance.

We are legislated enough in the country/province.

I don't think that you can justify giving someone a fine for not having winter tires if winter tires are not mandatory. That may not stand up in court.

Insurance discounts will help. But the discount has to make sense in terms of reduced risk. I.e. You cannot expect the insurance companies to provide a 25% discount if winter tires only reduce accidents by 5%.

Insurance companies giving a discount rate????? LOL

I don't like the idea of the Government controlling our ability to make decisions anymore than they already do.

I believe that winter tires are much safer and both my vehicles have them and they make a huge difference. That family living in poverty and barely managing to keep a vehicle on the road should not be forced to buy winter tires; hopefully they choose not to drive in extreme bad weather. Just my thoughts.

I know I've already said this; but the people that can't or won't afford two sets of tires, will buy snows/winters and drive them year round.

So the tire can be all but worn out; but are still legal and people will run them until they won't hold air anymore.

So much for legislation, making people put snow tires on; if people are allowed to do that.

A yearly safety would make more sense to me; because the people that are willing to drive on worn out ties; are likely not much into maintenance and only have their vehicle checked, if there's a large enough issue stopping them from driving the car at all.

I've always wondered how many of the 401 crossover crashes that we use to hear about (before the wall went up); wasn't because a tie rod end or some other steering or brake item had failed and they couldn't steer or brake the car? Those accidents were usually so bad that there was no way of telling if it was a mechanical failure that caused it.

Dan.

lol thats not really making winter tires MANDATORY is it?

the gov would need a certified sticker that police could see or something like that.

The tires have a snowflake on them making them certified for winter...no snowflake, hello ticket

I see some vehicles that only have snow tires on the front. That too me seems like it could mess up the braking of the car on slippery surfaces????

it's always better to put all 4 snows on, but fwd vehicles are so nose heavy, understeer so much at the limit, and have such a large front brake bias that the fronts do most of the work that two snows are better than none.

Everyone that runs in snow should have 4 good winter tires installed on their vehicle.
It's night and day difference in handling accelerating and probably most important, braking.

Ya, I know, heard it before, many times in fact, "I don't need em".
Well, maybe you don't if you only go out and drive on sunny days and no ice or snow on the road.
All it takes is for someone or something to pull out in front and you can't stop.

Many reputable tire shops will refuse to install 2 snows only. They know the risk.
Lets say you have two top notch winter tires on the front of your front drive car. You are cruising along in a couple inches of snow or ice covered road. It feels real good cause the tires are working as they should. But you suddenly need to make a lane change or a gust of wind hits you sideways. The back end of the car has no traction and around you go. Into the ditch backwards. Ever see that happen?