PROOF OF ICE!

S.M.05

Lakes........ I have captured your trout!
Posted Image

Once proof of ice has been established negotiations and a rescue mission is set forth to find the trout.
Posted Image

Once the trout are located a communications tower is set up on 4”s of ice next to the 2” border.
Posted Image

Negotiations start by using worms and shiny golden objects, with gold being the ticket this day.
Several splake are rescued although there are 2 lost on the worms.
Posted Image

With the temperature rising the 4” of ice has become saturated with water and I have to retreat from base camp.
Posted Image

But not before one last daring rescue.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once these trout have returned home a welcome back meal is prepared using only the finest cedar.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope you enjoyed the show.

A word on the ice conditions.
Crappy and getting worse as the temps and rain set in. To be honest if there had of been snow covering the ice I would have just gone home as I would not
have been able to see the 5% of the lake that had thick enough ice.

Early season- Tie off , stay shallow and spud your way out!

All splake caught in less than 5 feet off water.

lol.

Have to admit the light mist of rain made that clear ice look a lot worse than it was.

Grew up ice fishing on a river with current. Walking on still water ice 3/4" shy of the recommended thickness for a snowmobile doesn't spook me.

Spud is king!

Edited by Selfmade05

Joeytier its a real easy meal and goes down like candy.

Soak plank for a couple hours, then coat the topside of the plank with a bit of cooking oil and set BBQ to 350.

Coat splake with maple syrup and sprinkle on some house blend salmon spice.

Place the splake on cedar plank skin side down and BBQ for 20mins (give or take a few) with the lid closed.

Remove from BBQ, drizzle on a little more maple goodness and serve!

Keep an eye on the BBQ for flare ups and have a spray bottle of water handy.

I responded to your thread last night SM05 but not wanting to sound critical or politically incorrect deleted it. I'll give you the Readers Digest version of what I said. You are nuts my friend!!!!!

Look at the 5th pic, what tape measure are you using to come up with 4"? looks pretty thin a few feet from you, 1" , maybe. Next time dial 9-1 beforehand, then when you go through you only have to push the other 1.

Regardless of your mental state when you ventured out on thin ice, great fish, sure has me drooling. Love the Maple Syrup recipe too. On my to cook list for sure.

Readers digest version

As you've told me in my previous report "Humor is sometimes an acquired taste, of which I apparently have none".

Funny how out of the many, many good members on this site I knew you would contribute to this one.

As for the 9-1-1 bit, me falling through in water up to my chest, it will merely tuck my man parts up like that of a sumo wrestler.

As for my mental state..... quite healthy but not as healthy as my body. New diet has me so trimmed down that I'm able to walk on ice that is only 1 thick.

That 5th pic is the shore line I walked back and forth on all morning to get on that ice. Even kneeling down on in order to place the camera for taking that pic. You honestly think that you could tell me the thickness of that wet ice from photo taken on that angle. If so your correct answer would be 4 inches.

It actually looks more like water with bits of ice in it to me. lol

As for the 6th pic you can clearly see the border of 4 ice and 2.5 ice that I would dangle my rod over but not my feet.

BTW I appreciate your comment that you liked the maple planked splake recipe.

Post takes a lot longer to put up than it does to critique.

Edited by Selfmade05

This isn't the report I've been PATIENTLY WAITING FOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are some incredible splake Mike.

Knew you wouldn't be able to resist yourself. You've spent so much time, energy and years in those hills and woods exploring alone, I'm pretty sure you don't even need ice, when you seem to be able to walk on water and ride on rabbits.

We'll touch base when I get home... for now I'm swimming in a diesel fuel spill and working a M.A.S.H. unit.

Edited by Moosebunk