Need help/Trailer issues

muskymatt

Does anyone know of a condition that a trailer would have the tires wear unevenly and in a single season.

• New Yaughtclub trailer 3 yrs old
  • Bought and set up by dealership
  • Surge brakes
  • Galvanized
  • 20' boat
  • Single axle
  • full size trailer class tires

They already changed the tires once and then upgraded the weight class of the axle and it still does it.

Baffled!

What do you mean uneven wear? Tread bare on the outer edges, inner edges, flat spotting, scalping, etc. Like what Terry said, although if they changed the axle, then the spring mounts on the frame may not be the same spacing from the front (or rear) causing one tire to be more forward than the other. Possibly the surge brakes aren't set up right.

If the axle isn't straight with the frame I would expect to see wear on the outside edge of the leading tire and on the inside edge of the trailing tire. Get someone to follow you while going down the highway and see if the trailer is tracking straight.

Yeah really quick

I bent my axle on the end of a boat ramp. Did not know it bent

8 km down the road blew a tire, saw the other one was all but worn out and saw the bent axle

I had 2 spares with me and about 6 more km to get home changed the flat one , then the other one went

I then drove with the bad tire in the gravel on the side of the road. Sure made a dust storm

The left side tire blew with about half a km left. I stuffed rags in the tire and slowly made it the rest of the way home

Thanks Brian for bending my axle strait again

Terry similar thing happened to us.. Must have tweaked the axle down here before a trip to Atikokan. Got there noticed really abnormal wear on the tires, didn't really clue into it to be honest, I thought maybe the tires were messed up. Finally had a brain fart just outside of the Sault on 17, pulled over did some measurements and we were a 1/4in out. Made it just south of Parry Sound before the tire blew taking out the plastic fender and marker light with it. Luckily I had CAA + RV, got the boat on a flat bed and back to Coldwater. Pulled the axle brought it into a shop and had it straightened.

I'm a lot more cautious when loading/unloading the boat now, it didn't take much to bend that axle when putting the boat in (high sided it on a rock at one of the launches we use all the time)..

Edited by BillM