Ice Fishing Creations / Purchases This Year?

EC1

Just seeing who's getting the itch yet. I've got it pretty bad but the snow and Monday is turning me off just a bit.

So far I've done:

Painted some glow in the dark paint to my panfish rods to become better at bite detection during low light conditions.

Haven't made any big purchases yet this year after last year's splurging, but am looking at a hard rod case potentially. And lastly bought myself my very first tipup.

Let's hear from you guys ;)

I am CHOMPING at the bit to get out. If I had the money, I would do up a whole new Lake Trout combo with a heavy 32" ugly stick, Pfluger president reel, 10 pound braid with an 8 pound fluro leader. Alas I don't have that kinda money so it'll probably just be the line I add to my old combo.

Debating selling my flip over for a pop up but that's small potatoes. Also debating modifying a live target bait ball to be a jigging lure under the ice. If it works I'll post pics.

Mostly just countin the days and waiting for Chad or Joey to mention that the ice is thick up there so I can start scouting.

got a Lowrance Elite 5dhi and upgraded the battery to a 12v 12ah monster. Also added a adapter that I can charge my phone/GPS with. Bought a pair of Baffin Titans for the hardwater season also. Really looking forward to the lake freezing over!

I am CHOMPING at the bit to get out. If I had the money, I would do up a whole new Lake Trout combo with a heavy 32" ugly stick, Pfluger president reel, 10 pound braid with an 8 pound fluro leader. Alas I don't have that kinda money so it'll probably just be the line I add to my old combo.

Debating selling my flip over for a pop up but that's small potatoes. Also debating modifying a live target bait ball to be a jigging lure under the ice. If it works I'll post pics.

Mostly just countin the days and waiting for Chad or Joey to mention that the ice is thick up there so I can start scouting.

Debating selling my flip over for a pop up

i wouldnt ,pop ups canbbe a real pain in the ass....especially in the wind by yourself

Going to fish quinte this winter and heard they like red so I taped red reflective tape to my spoons. Hopefully I can land one big one this year.

That's on my list this year as well. I have to back up a statement that it takes 8 man hours to figure out how to catch a single walleye from there. I've only got 4 left. lol.

Edited by EasyFish

I got the bugs a few weeks ago, just after my last goose hunt.

I even set up my 4 person Clam ice hut in my basement and stared at it.

To help with the itch I have been tying some ice jigs, mostly for perch. I also finished an order of jigs for a collegue of mine to give to her father in law in Timmins.

Jiffy Auger cover, so I can stop fighting to get the snow out of my engine when I arrive at my spot, and a couple new spare auger blade cover rubber straps. Oh.. and a few Black Betty 6061's to spool up and put to work. Really liked using them last year when I dropped in on Lloyd a few times from the air... We'll see how I like them after hammering them around in the hut for awhile, compared to my old arsenal of spinning reels. Might need a battery for the sled... but it did start !

Didn't we fish in 3" last year? Hahaha. I know a good lake, super easy access with very few if any fisherman that has lots of 24-30" pike. That could be a fun one to start

I'm hoping for more laker fishing, but will certainly target walleye in Nipissing and pike on other lakes for fun.

Didn't we fish in 3" last year? Hahaha. I know a good lake, super easy access with very few if any fisherman that has lots of 24-30" pike. That could be a fun one to start

I'm hoping for more laker fishing, but will certainly target walleye in Nipissing and pike on other lakes for fun.

Chad, 3" were the thick spots. Hahaha. I'm good to go as soon as it locks up there. I'll be out of work in 2-3 weeks anyways.

I've got one spot I want to scout for lakers and another that Chris showed me that is dynamite for guys under 5 pounds. If you don't mind traveling down the 11 for an hour or two I'd be happy to share it.

Jiffy Auger cover, so I can stop fighting to get the snow out of my engine when I arrive at my spot, and a couple new spare auger blade cover rubber straps. Oh.. and a few Black Betty 6061's to spool up and put to work. Really liked using them last year when I dropped in on Lloyd a few times from the air... We'll see how I like them after hammering them around in the hut for awhile, compared to my old arsenal of spinning reels. Might need a battery for the sled... but it did start !

Nothing like being frugal, how about a couple of feet of 5/16 or 3/8ths bunjey cord, a double overhand knot at each end. I thing mines about 10 years old now.