Worked some burl - nf

Rod Caster

I found two massive yellow birch burls on my property last year and vowed to do something with them. This spring I cut the tree (36" diam) and removed the two burls then I had to make an actual atv trail to the tree. Finally yesterday after processing all the firewood from that tree, I hauled the burls out of the bush and started cleaning them up. I did all I could do (with the tools I have) with the big one and just started working on the second one, which has worms holes throughout; which, apparently is a good thing (will post pics when its ready).

Pretty cool looking eh? I'm mesmarized by it. In the last two pics, what do you see in the pattern?

IMG_20140508_163544_zps471b7bdd.jpg

IMG_20140617_142350_zpsb4489652.jpg

IMG_20140617_142420_zps761f054b.jpg

IMG_0388_zps068445f3.jpg

IMG_0389_zps4ce9d55a.jpg

IMG_0390_zpse615ea9d.jpg

IMG_0392_zps6cf11b24.jpg

IMG_0393_zps2d5b9318.jpg

IMG_0394_zps54028838.jpg

IMG_0395_zpsd1b42c6a.jpg

The hardest part for me was getting it off the tree and moving it, kind of dangerous alone. It took about 3hrs to debark and pick clean today...so that part wasn't too bad, and no chance of crushing myself haha. I actually enjoyed doing it! Lots of work remains to make it showpiece worthy.

Fetus is sick and twisted and some will pay for sick and twisted - kijiji Toronto is your best friend if you are going to sell. The Atlas idea is great too - a wrought iron mangled, warped, twisted globe sitting on top of that can make an artistic statement saying how disfigured and beat up the world is.... $1300 o.b.o. :whistling:

www.Woodchuckers.com

Scarborough based supplier of wood for wood workers. Nice folks, I've been in their shop. A lot of "bowl turners" there and I wouldn't be surprised if they had a great deal of interest in your burl.

Just be sure to move it quickly so it doesn't start to split... it needs to be cut and dried.

HH

I have used a sawmill on Oak, Black Walnut, Maple, Cherry, Sassafras, Birch and ironwood. The wood you have is green and if not treated correctly will be as valuable as firewood in a short amount of time.. The wood should be edge sealed and dried professionally. This is done in a controlled environment using a ventilated controlled moisture content to keep the wood from splitting out. The rule of thumb for air drying without a dryer is 1 year per inch thick and seal the edges to keep them from checking and popping. Contact a wood merchant to get advise and help. Most people do not leave the wood as a large hunk because it takes to long to dry as well as a thinner piece is less likely to pop and check.

Best of luck

BTW I saw a bear in the burl.

Art

Thanks everyone, and Art/Headhunter for the tips on drying.

If I can't move it quickly, that is going to be an issue. That is the next step of research. Right now I need to let the excess moisture (it was in the bush for a few months) leave then I'll see what I can do about curing it properly.

For the second large piece, I think I'll cut it (or get it cut) into blocks so it's easier to handle/store. Who knows, I might want to carve something myself someday.

My neighbor saw a bear too. My Dad saw a fetus and went the artistic route "we could make an amazing piece of art..." haha

You cannot kiln dry burl. It should only be air dried. You need to seal your cuts on the end right away before it starts to check. I know I worked here www.forloversofwood.com for 10yrs. And I dealt with burls from all over the world on a daily basis. What I see is a nice hand chiseled wash basin.