Who's the king of Fresh Water? Muskellunge or Lake Trout?

kelvarnson

In celebration of the muskie opener, and the spectacular pictures of them posted today, let's start a debate. The argument over the world's greatest saltwater fish is a familiar one...black marlin, tarpon, sailfish, great white. It goes on.

Not as frequently heard - who's the King of Fresh Water? A lot of contenders, for different reasons.

Walleye - popularity and table qualities

Chinook (King) Salmon - power, agility, speed

Brook Trout - elegance, habitat, intelligence

I'm sure others have nominations. But I'll forward the big 2 in my opinion - Muskellunge and Lake Trout.

Each have strenghts, the Muskie is a legend...the fish of 10,000 casts. Who hasn't heard stories of water skiers getting bitten, bady ducks getting eaten. I remember the first muskie I ever encountered; it swam by the dock I was swimming from. It wasn't big...I've since caught bigger....but it was the way it moved. Just an incredible animal.

It's also great quarry; savy and unpredictable. Explosive strikes...dramatic follows....the 'figure 8'. What a fish!!

But the Lake Trout is in this discussion. When you come to these fish, your notions of what the sport is all about kind of change. Especially if you've been able to catch them in the Northern part of Canada. Not necessarily all the way to the NWT, even the provinces have them a bit farther up. But the agressiveness, the diversity (colours, body types, etc) and the sheer POWER they have astonishes. I was piking a few weeks ago at Belmont Lake and got snagged on a rock pile. I was pulling the boat over to the snag (wind was calm), and it felt EXACTLY like fighting a 25-lb laker, I swear.

So, let's hear everyone's thoughts.

I love salmon fishing, so the chinook is my choice, but I also love catching the odd laker.

Haven't spent nearly enough time fishing skis to be able to compare,

but they would have to be near the top of many anglers' list.

Ford vs. Chevy

Lakers grow bigger than Muskies..lakers are usually caught deeper therefore a better fight cause

lasts longer.. nowadays people are using more downriggers and lighter tackle to tackle these fish

long -gone are the days of an old steel line and a big winch at one end attached to an old blue fishin pole...don't get me wrong steel-lining still works great i still use it on some lakes.

I once caught a 35lbs in Schefferville PQ .in 25 feet of water 10 trilene Xt .7' med Berkley Lightnin'Rod

very good fight. it pulled hard at first but soon fizzeled out

MUSKY:

BY FAR WAY MORE EXCITING!!!! CATCH A 35LB RIGHT BY THE BOAT IN 8 FEET OF WATER AND 4

FEET OF WEEDS...SUCCESFULLY LANDED AND RELEASED[photo's taken]'

#1 CHECK YOUR PULSE

#2 CHECK YOUR SHORTS

I PICK THE MUSKY.

and oh .. when's the last time a Laker has swam up and stolen a Walleye off your line??

i like Laker fishin i do it alot they're in my top 5

Good Luck on the water .

Muskieman

I don't know if there is an answer to this one. I fish from shore so I will stick to what I go after.

I love fishing for rainbow\steelhead or salmon and from shore in the great lakes with current on light line they are certainly near the top of my list.

I also enjoy fishing for smallies for their smaller size they pack the most entertainment IMHO. Amazing tailwalking displays and the speed of their attack in clear water when you can see then nail the bait it is incredible.

The difference in tackle, tactics make comparing which is the king of my two favorite species more like comparing donuts to tires than apples to oranges.

For eating Perch are the KING though!!!!

open water chinook salmon for sure! do muskie instantly peel off hundreds of feet of line in less then a minute?

we put a couple dandies in the boat this morning pushing 20 lbs

HPIM0072.jpg

HPIM0075.jpg

muskie a close second though - i'll be taking the downriggers off the boat for the weekend - making a short trip up to our place on the K-lakes for a coupla days

Edited by fishdawg

Fishdawg,I want you top take a calcutta 700 reel,lock it right down and catch a salmon on a 10 inch bait and tell me what kinda fight you had,I am almost certain,on impact you"ll snap the fishes vertabrae,the fight will last no more than 7 minutes

To even suggest a species is better than another is relevant to the methods and tactics one uses. to really try and find which species is stronger,one would have to apply the same method for all species

To be honest Salmon fight like Romo's,they run and come back,run and come back on 15 to 20 mono line with soft rods,so comparing a 410 gauge to a 303,its really not the way to compare Firearms and fish :w00t:

Like I said,I yet to catch a fish with acrown on it,although I have met people who thought they should wear a crown :w00t:

Tybo,I think a Dodge on Ultra light would beat a a chevy smallie :w00t:

my biggest salmon and biggest muskie are exactly 1 lbs apart.

the muskie fight, although fun, didn't compare in the slightest to the fight of the salmon....

it is different though. salmon basically spool ya, wrap ya on another line, or simply break ya.

muskie will thrash, shake, and wrap ya around anything in sight.....

both are fun.

but given the choice, i'd take the salmon......you really see the difference in smaller fish....compare a 10lbs salmon with a 10lbs muskie....with equal tackle.....no comparison.