Advice - Viscious Dogs

AKRISONER

got a response from animal control, they have told me to either attain a license plate or the owners physical address.

It is a shame that bad apples ruin the bunch. Theres a lot of great pet owners that I see every day. their dogs are well behaved and very friendly. Unfortunate that one trouble dog owner, the whole party gets ruined.

To be continued....

Unfortunately all you can do is carry a big stick..... and walk softly.

However the fact that it has happened before really hurts your case since you keep going back. If your defending yourself to the point of harming another you must show "due diligence" in not letting it happen again. As in, you yourself could have prevented this from happening.

I'm no Lawyer, but I know this to be fact and precedented.

(Obviously in the case something violent happens in the near future)

Edited by SirWhite

i could see your point if I was putting myself in this situation. But walking freely through public space, and then having someone come and engage you unprovoked is a hard sell. It isnt much different than if she somehow ran into me in a completely different location, in no way did i enter into the scenario, i was placed into it. I even attempted to remove myself from the situation prior to it occurring and was followed and attacked.

report her and her dogs, unfortunately her lack of control will be a downside for the dogs imo. no idea why she hasn't muzzled the attacker and I would have done the same...a swift hard kick. sorry but if it's attacking my dog or anyone with me, all bets are off and the dog pays for owner's problems. I've owned dogs most of my early life so that laying the boots to a dog would be tough but necessary.

again, report her as someone's dog is going to ket mauled if she's not dealt with by by law officers.

-sorry, didn't read the full thread before posting ;) maybe give the other dog owners a heads up as well so they can make sure they're in full compliance.

Edited by woodenboater

Reporting is the best,always carry a cane. Loved dog parks till recently when Stella passed on .She was the rock,kept Tonka and Gordy in line.

Never a problem,being a big dog she was never really approached. Always had them on leash just in case.Miss taking Tonka and Gordy to the park.He's not the same,and would never put him in a environment like that.That is being responsible as far as I'm concerned. Try to take a picture or two as well,if someone is with you,that holds a lot of weight I'm sure.

I think you did the right thing calling animal control, did they take any info from you like the time she goes to the park,type of dogs she has?

it would be nice if she muzzled it when in the dog park area

also if he does attack again get her info as you want to see if the dog has had it's shots

Edited by mikeh

If you bring some kind of offensive weapon ( bat, Pepper Spray, Vinegar etc.) to the dog park and you use it on a dog that has previously attacked you dog then it is premeditated malicious wounding of the dog in the courts eyes. The self defense of preservation is thrown out the window when you returned and allowed your dog off leash in an area controlled by a leash on law. Be careful on some of the advise you choose to follow the legal system will bite you in the butt sometimes.

Art

Some of the info you have recieved is questionable. Some doesn't even apply to Canada. You have done the best thing you possibly could so far, which is report it. Ensure you follow up with them, and if possible try to provide them with the info requested. It pays to be the squeaky wheel sometimes.

Sorry I used the word Court instead of Magistrate my bad I guess the rest of the advise is wrong also. :wallbash: Reporting the offense is the correct approach taking the law into your own hands when both parties are doing something illegal is a losing battle. Is what I was attempting to imply in the above post.

Art

Its a shame to see dogs ruined by poor handling and training, i have had to defend myself against dog attacks a couple times and i never blame the animal. Its a tough pill but if you are breaking the rules by leaving the dog off a leash in a leash area than you are in a pickle.

Either walk the dog on a leash and do what is necessary to protect yourself and your animal.

Or bite the bullet and go elsewhere away from the problem animal.

Unfortunatly you cant fix stupid and it sounds like you are up against plenty of it.

Good luck, i hope you avoid further confrontation.

I have to agree that while "teaching the other dog a lesson" might feel like the right thing to do, and may have been appropriate at one point in time, in today's litigious society, it could be the good guy who ends up with vet bills.

I think you have the right idea with animal control. You might inform her of your intention to report her (mentioning the information the AC officer requested) and see if that's not enough to change her behavior.

UPDATE****

The lady actually came by my house this morning after I left for work and spoke to my roomate. She sincerely apologized and notified my roomate to inform me that she will no longer be bringing her dogs to the park and that she will be taking them to obedience school until she can be assured that an incident will not happen like this again.

To clarify with everyone, the one dog that did clamp onto my dogs neck and not let go, which i ended up kicking in order to get it to release its grip was actually on a leash. During the process of the owner attempting to control her off leash dog this dog was able to get close enough to mine to bite it.

I believe she was aware of the issue with this dog and therefore does not typically let it off leash. She has indicated that the other dog only recently began having issues.

Hopefully she will understand that the issues stem from her lack of authority and leadership with the dogs and not from the dogs themselves.

Time will tell!

That sucks!! That she knocked on your door and told your roomate tbat she will deal with it responibly speaks well for her. That said, I feel bad for your dog that it got attacked while minding its own business. Years back while walking my last dog in a nearby park, a fellow had his german shepherd off leash and it came up to my dog and attacked it right away with no provocation or warning, not even a growl. BIG mistake, my dog was a Sharplaninac, Macedonian sheep dog, big and ornery. The shep did not stand a chance, my dog grabbed it by the throat and started to thrash it around. I got mine off and the shep walked off with its tail between its legs. The owner came running up and started to yell at me! His dog, off leash on public property, attacked mine and it was my fault??? Needless to say, he looked at me before I could say anything else and walked off. Every time I saw him and his dog again, they would go to the other side of the street. I am a dog lover, but if you do not have control over your animal, do not ever leave it off leash.