tb4me

Great finish, very proud of our boys! The last few minutes of the second was starting to look like a typical collapse by the usual occupants of the Air Canada Centre. Very glad they gutted it out. :clapping:

No collapse, just a desperate Russian team fighting for their lives. That was just good coaching by the Russians. Risk everything and you 'might' pull it out. More often than not you'd get spanked for that but every now and then it works.Sweden pulled their goalie with over 3 minutes to go. That the same desperate move. Our boys gutted it out and played head to head against a big strong team and we DESERVED to win. There was never any doubt for me. These boys have true grit. Everyone of these young men was a super star last night. Domi and Nurse poked their heads above the crowd.....Impressive. Canada is proud of our boys.

muddler

Not gonna matter who's behind the bench Bill. Is anyone really surprised that this team is where it is in the standings? They aren't a good team and won't be until they get rid of the dead weight they carry around. Time to move some assets!

HH

Not gonna matter who's behind the bench Bill. Is anyone really surprised that this team is where it is in the standings? They aren't a good team and won't be until they get rid of the dead weight they carry around. Time to move some assets!

HH

You don't think it matters? I'd agree if they played like crap all the time, but the problem is they don't. Look how they play against the top ranked teams, then look at how they play against the low ranked teams, lol! If the talent wasn't there, they'd play like Ottawa :)

Talent is one thing and they have some, but desire is totally another. Coach can only coach what he is given, it's up to the players to have the desire to win. Can't say I've seen much desire out of this group for a while.

Let's look back to the beginning of the season. Is this team not in the position that most would have been happy with? Are they a playoff team?

There's a poison flowing through the team and it's called "blue and white disease". The best Leaf fans can hope for is the new coach, who ever it is, is given the free hand to kick some butts and not allow "elite" players to dictate how the team plays.

HH

HH

I think it's impossible to not blame the coach when the team leads the leaugue is shots against for how many years now? That boils down to system and coaching.

I agree with you too though, their core players are deeply flawed. I'd trade them as well while they still have some value.

Kessel and Pahneuf the coach-killers.

Can't bench them. Can't demote them. You're stuck with them and so you pay the price as the coach. Hope Shanny has enough sense to spill a little more blood. Let's really get into it if we're going to open the ugly box that is the Leafs. No C on Phaneuf and less minutes; Kessel benched when he can't get the puck out of his own end (he is -6 on the +/- btw); send Gardiner to the AHL to get his head straightened out; etc.

A coach can't coach if the players don't buy into the system the coach is using. There is no TEAM; they play as individuals and that's why it appears to be a poorly coached team.

Edited by Oggie

these guys are NHL caliber hockey players. Facing the most shots against in history is a systematic problem. You can reduce the number of shots a goalie faces purely by changing your style of play.

The leafs still have the best offence in the entire league along with some of the best goaltending. Even if the defence isnt mediocre they instantly have a recipe to be a middle of the pack 7th 8th place playoff team or better.

The team can beat tough teams, the inconstancy wreaks of something fundamentally flawed. Call Phaneuf a bum etc etc, plenty of other teams would love to have him. Maybe he shouldnt be the captain, but hes not a garbage hockey player.

All the leafs woes begin and end in the front office. Both the current ownership, and Ballard, have ruled the team with a singular perspective. The only thing that matters is profitability. They don't, need to be contenders, need the cup, need to play well, need to pay well. For nearly 50 years the Leafs have been a middle to bottom of the pack team, and they are still one of the most, if not most, profitable franchises in the league. Fans are stupid enough to pay $200+ for a seat at the ACC. Spend $2-300 in merchandising every year. Why does anything at Leaf central need to change. The fans continue to pay blindly, and the shareholders are happy.

And a page from the wisdom of Harold. A little dirt and controversy to keep people talking, is always good for business.

All the leafs woes begin and end in the front office. Both the current ownership, and Ballard, have ruled the team with a singular perspective. The only thing that matters is profitability. They don't, need to be contenders, need the cup, need to play well, need to pay well. For nearly 50 years the Leafs have been a middle to bottom of the pack team, and they are still one of the most, if not most, profitable franchises in the league. Fans are stupid enough to pay $200+ for a seat at the ACC. Spend $2-300 in merchandising every year. Why does anything at Leaf central need to change. The fans continue to pay blindly, and the shareholders are happy.

And a page from the wisdom of Harold. A little dirt and controversy to keep people talking, is always good for business.

If that were really true I would think their roster payroll would be a lot lower.

Having a bunch of lest costly players will put more $$$$$ in the bank.

Instead they are only $600K under the cap.

If that were really true I would think their roster payroll would be a lot lower.

Having a bunch of lest costly players will put more $$$$$ in the bank.

Instead they are only $600K under the cap.

True, but in other years they were one of the cheapest franchises, still filled the seats, and played just as good a game, or better than, the current team.

If Leaf central wanted real bang for the buck, they'd give a couple of their darlings a swift slap up the side of the head. Newmarket used to be a great incentive to play better hockey, and it used to be that no player was exempt from that kind of dressing down.

The leafs literally make 1 million dollars profit for every playoff game they play. Do not think that this organization wouldnt love to play 4 seven game series in a year.

In fact I am sure a Stanley cup final game's revenue in Toronto would possibly be some of the highest grossing sports events of all time. The money involved would be nearly unfathomable.

Edited by AKRISONER

True, but in other years they were one of the cheapest franchises,

In the Ballard years maybe. They had one of the highest payrolls in the league prior to the salary cap. They were getting beat by teams with lower payrolls. Payroll has not been the problem for the last 25 years.

James Riemer's tweet was priceless " I think his coaching was just okay ....." Randy had a core group that was successful in Anaheim, but the Leafs don't have the leadership in the dressing room to make others accountable. The Leafs have played the same way through a number of coaches, IMO there are deep problems in the dressing room :wallbash: