Dad-daughter fishing again after 12 years in far north

scuro2

IMG_9984.jpg
About a dozen years ago I went fishing with my young daughter for the last time on a weekend trip. We bet gummy bears for biggest fish and first fish caught. Life caught up with us both and I lamented the fact that I should have nurtured that interest with the only one of my children who truly liked fishing.

IMG_9998.jpg
This summer it was just her and I, 60 miles south of James Bay, some days full with 12 hours of fishing.

IMGP0003_2.jpg
We started beautifully with a perfect day to fly, the gods were smiling on us both.

IMGP0034_2.jpg
Unlike other fishing partners this one was adapt at taking pictures...1500 to be precise!

IMGP0016_2.jpg
It was camera wars from the start..

IMG_0796.jpg
While posed, her favorite pic of the trip!

IMG_9972.jpg
This might be a close 2nd.

IMG_0624.jpg
Here she begged me for my hat because she was getting burned...she loved my makeshift headcover!

IMG_1277.jpg
This girl can take pictures.

IMG_0160.jpg
...and for the first part of the trip she'd take pictures more often then she would fish.

IMG_0490.jpg
..or she would happily sit back and read a book.

IMG_0777.jpg
...but something happened on the way to the art gallery...

IMGP0052.jpg
Dad just kept putting big fish in the boat.

IMG_0592.jpg
...and when those "windows" opened she started to fish hard.

IMG_0482.jpg
...she did have her chances but hey, dad scores again!

IMGP0055.jpg
The week was coming to a close and all of sudden in those last days she was fishing along side of me most of the day. She didn't land a pike over 30 inches but she made contact with several biggies and that is all that you can hope for...the opportunity. From the swirl of one fish and the screaming of the reel, I'd guess one pike would have been at least in the low 40's.

IMGP0038.jpg
Fish stories... here she is showing us how big it was!"

IMG_0716.jpg
The Hudson bay lowlands has a way of charming you and she was seduced by a part of the world she had never seen before.

IMGP0040.jpg
That northern big sky rain shower gives way to chairoscuro atmospheric lighting.

IMG_1147.jpg
..and in the end that flame was lit again. :D She loved it all and might work there next year.

IMG_0062.jpg
...and I look forward to fishing with her again.

Edited by scuro2

Awesome report, she looks like an outdoorsy girl,

5f06dae9-77a1-4908-9dc0-a417b2dac144.jpg

She has always been a fru fru girl so there was no surprise when she fished with the reel with the cool reflective finish even though it might of been a tad too big for her. Wasn't much different 12 years ago where she would only fish with the bubblegum sparkle lure. But there is something about nature which strikes a cord in her. We got letters from camp about the remarkable change they saw in her. Our girl portage a canoe...and get her bronze medal in a summer? You must be mistaken.

She is well on her way to a career in film and had a job offer before she even went to Ryerson. Currently she's in 3rd year and doing some remarkable stuff. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by scuro2