Looking back to 2006

lew

The last couple days I've been going waaaay back to the early pages of this board in 2006. Seems to me this is the 3rd reincarnation of OFC since I joined up in 2002.

Hard to believe how many of the old members have moved on and I've been reading posts from guys I haven't thought of in years.

We've also sadly had a few of our members pass away, including my brother who posted as eddyk, and it's sure strange to read their posts from days gone by.

Lots of great reading from back then.

Edit to add I originally typed OF ENN but it keeps changing to OFC

Edited by lew

I hear what your saying Lew, the early days were very educational and opened a bunch of doors for me personally.

I remember both your brother Eddie and GaryV

Canada Dave rants were always a fan favorite.

The adventures of Diplip

My favorite username from back in the day...what's his name :lol:

Edit username d I l l I g a f f

Edited by Whopper

Yup was passing through Stratford the other day and my first thought was Dam I remember the guy from Stratford who was so enthusiastic about fishing who passed away I beleive his name was John.

One of my regrets is not getting the chance to meet John...such a nice man.

He went out of his way on many occasions offering his thoughts and encouragement with my writing. In a small way it was his insistence that I should be published that gave me the confidence to try.

I never met the man but I really do miss him.

lew, I think things were a little different back then because not everyone was trying to make their dollar off the industry - they were simply talking fishing.

now, removing the NF posts, I'd wager 50% of the fishing posts now someone is trying to sell something....

so many folks today are trying to make dollars off fishing so you never know who to trust and what to try.

a seasoned angler can look through 90% of the crap, but to someone who is just getting started, it can be difficult to sort out the fluff and find the true meat.

He went out of his way on many occasions offering his thoughts and encouragement with my writing. In a small way it was his insistence that I should be published that gave me the confidence to try.

Same here I looked forward to his post in a different way than yours. He had discovered his love of fishing later in life and his wonder and joy really shone through.

Mike I was able to get out on the water with John - he was as good as they come, on and off the water... I think of him often and miss him as well!

Thanks for starting this thread Lew. I don't manage to get on here as much as I'd like these days but owe a lot to this board and will always be around as much as I can!

Wonder what ever happened to the Dawg...GCD (Green Coach Dog)..always good for a comeback

I see posts by GCD quite often on the iboats forum, he goes by the handle "JignGrub " there. Quite active there and still posting the same old shirtless pics of him holding a fish in the freshwater fishing forum. :wallbash: That's how i recognized who it was.

Edited by dave524

I've never been a big poster here, just a daily reader but like Lew have been around for all 3 versions of this board. I remember seeing Diplip on the 400 once because of his licence plate, so i pulled up beside him, honked and pulled on my lip. He laughed and we ended up exchanging PM's the next day.

Does anyone remember the old Toronto Zoo board?

i just did what Lew did and went back to the first few pages. What ever happened to Rick O'Banion?

Good question

Leave that one alone Terrance.

Coolb was another great guy.

Edited by Misfish

Does anyone remember the old Toronto Zoo board?

Yes, that was a great board at one time. That is where I found out about this place. Andy used to operate three or four boards; I think the bird watching one is still operating. It is no longer hosted by U of T though.

Blast from the past are always great. I joined the winter of 2003 I think as I had my broken ankle and my daughter was 2-3 years old. I was like many just looking and reading then started to post my ice fishing trips and fall creek fishing until June 2005 when I got the musky bug with Wendel and the rest is history.

I know you still remember my first follow Lew I will never forget it what a great day even the loss of a HUGE musky after watching it make a great jump, the day was great and I don't mean the one you lost that broke your believer.

Like Mike Borger I was encouraged by many here on the board to pursue my passion for making lures and with the help from many it has grown.

There are a lot of days I miss the old board the G2G's and members sharing a lot of fishing pics all the time.

Even though the new boards have been changing its still the best place for all around fishing its great to see who people are doing all across Canada and the USA this is better then facebook.

Sorry Lew,I cant stop :rofl2: at that sour puss. :lol:

A question most of us were asked way back then,,,,,,,,,,,

How can you go fishing with someone you have never met? They might be a killer or something.

My answer was,I,ll take my chances. Were just going fishing. :lol:

Then theres the Im an idiot here. How do I post pictures. It took me for ever to figure it out. Today,it,s so easy

Edited by Misfish

Sorry Lew,I cant stop :rofl2: at that sour puss. :lol:

I sent that picture to Drifter Tackle Brian, just to let them know one of their lures failed when it got hit by a big fish and they not only replaced it, but they sent me TWO new ones....great company to deal with.