Ford Flex - A good people mover? NF

Headhunter

Hey folks,

Well, it seems that it's getting close to the time that I have to retire my 96 Jimmy. As one would expect, things are starting to go on it and it has become something of a less then reliable vehicle.

I need a people mover/ soccer mom type vehicle. I have two kids, 12 and 10, both well over 5ft tall and frankly, I expect them to reach 6 ft easily. I also have a 90lb Lab that likes to travel and all the junk that goes with kids and dogs.

My wife and I like the idea of the Ford Flex. Plenty of room inside, fold down back row seats for carrying stuff and just different enough to make it more interesting than a mini-van.

So, I am hoping that someone on the board can speak to their experience/knowledge regarding reliability etc...

Sure do appreciate your time and help. I am looking strictly on the used market as I have no interest in buying new.

Also, if you have other suggestions I'm all ears!

Thanks for your time!

HH

I'll say this , I LOVE YHE FLEX !!

every time my employer rents me a car I ask for the Flex , I've driven it 100 times or more in the past 3 years and wouldn't hesitate to buy one ..loads of power all the creature comforts , gcould ever want , decent fuel economy ,a real winner if you ask me .

Randy

Headhunter, my 2009 Ford Flex Limited is THE GREATEST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED!! This car is mind boggling! It has a refrigerator/freezer for crying out loud! I bought it a year and a half ago. It has an msrp of 50k and I drove it off the lot for just under 20k. My son is 5' 8" and fits nicely inside. In fact, last year on our way back from nipissing, I rode in the back and was able to stretch out comfortably and watch Miami vice on the DVD player. Incredibly roomy. We had 5 adults and pulled a 16 ft sylvan FULL of gear back and still managed 19 mpg with the 3.5 liter V6 (not ecoboost) while at South Bay on nip I would cart my mom and dad up and down an off road trail to the dock. The owners of the camp we were at thought I was nuts. AWD worked brilliantly.

I really could spend all day cheering about it. But I have to get back to work.

Trust me, you will love it!

Thanks guys!!!!!

I asked my mechanic if he had any info. One of the guys that works at his shop, used to work at a Ford dealership. He said that in the first couple of years that the vehicle was available, they had tranny problems. After that, he knew of no issues.

Again, thanks for taking the time folks!

HH

Before you discount buying new, go into a Ford dealer and haggle. I got my F150 in 2010 brand new for 5K more than I could buy a 3-4 year old vehicle, tax included! It was a no brainer. That may not be the case today, but I would at least look into it.

Thanks Porkpie... these vehicles are pretty darned dear brand new, up in the $40-$45K range!!!! That just not in the cards right now.

Typically, we put the lions share of KM's on our car, Nissan Altima. My wife uses it daily and it's pretty good on fuel. I use the truck for simple things like groceries, dentist trips etc. In the 15 years we had the Jimmy, we only put 145k on it! I do need a vehicle that can carry gear as my other "hobby" is playing in a gigging band. I need a vehicle that will move my cabinets, amp heads and other gear plus be capable of moving people for things like soccer, hockey etc.

I am only looking at used since I don't need a daily driver for a commute, I work from home. As you can see, I tend to keep vehicles for some time and put very little mileage on them.

Thanks for looking all!

HH

Marden Motors on 6 north of Guelph had a couple of looked to be 2011's with approx 75K on them in the lot when I drove by tonight. Blue with white top, sticker price on window was 20K. Never dealt with them, but here is the info if your interested!

Marden Motors

5556 Highway 6 North

Guelph, ONN1H 6J2

Sales:

1 (888) 436-3773

Edited by porkpie

Seems as though most users here really like the Flex. Lots of good things to say about it at least. When I'm not driving my truck, I drive a Ford Escape. Its the V6 with 4x4 and tow package. Great vehicle and usually can be had for a little less than a Flex. Used it to take my boat out to Manitoulin Island last year and was quite impressed. We decided to take it this year to Temagami with 3 guys the boat and all the camping gear.

Just thought I would throw it out there as nobody had suggested any other vehicles.

Parnelly, whats the towing capacity on that escape of yours with the tow package?

I just got a diesel grand cherokee after owning a v8 grand cherokee and so far, very happy with it but ask me again in a year or so.

I like the looks of them too Gerritt.
Drive a lot of different vehicles being a mechanic and most don't really make much of an impression, but the Flex did.
From what I see of them, a pretty good vehicle all around.

I rented Flex for few days, hauling family of five. I was getting decent mileage on mix highway/city drive. Good maneuverability and no surprise spots looking sideways.Like the space for front and middle rows. Only hick-up was access to third row seat as middle row is not track-able like most modern SUV's. Also, very limited trunk space if you pull third row seat, I had difficulty putting anything beyond a medium size stroller.

Hi Raf, the tow cap on the Escape is 3500lbs.

After I sell my 4x4 We're looking at the escape

We have a utility trailer --so that takes the box of a truck outta the picture---and even tho my f150 is reasonable on fuel---the escape is better

I like the looks of them too Gerritt.

Drive a lot of different vehicles being a mechanic and most don't really make much of an impression, but the Flex did.

From what I see of them, a pretty good vehicle all around.

I like the looks of them too.

Don't be afraid of the eco boost I have been around many of them as well as owning one and purchasing the second one soon. They will not give you the mileage they posted however they are a joy to drive. I towed 4000 lbs for 14 hours straight from Canada to Virginia and it never even hiccuped. If you really want to know what vehicles are having issues do a search for bulletins on the vehicles you are considering. They are the way to see what national issues a vehicle is having rather than peoples opinions of what their friends, brothers, cousins etc. had with their vehicle.

Art

Thanks again to all who responded...

We bought a 2011 Flex yesterday. We will be picking it up on Thursday and are pretty excited.

It'll be nice for me to have a radio, gas gauge, rear wiper, fuel economy, smoother ride... I could go on! Although my Jimmy has served us for the better part of 18 years, I have to admit that the last couple of years has been something of an adventure! As one become intimate over time with a vehicle, you start to get a feel for what is right what's wrong. Hoping to not have to "get that feeling" again, for some time to come.

HH

Thanks again to all who responded...

We bought a 2011 Flex yesterday. We will be picking it up on Thursday and are pretty excited.

It'll be nice for me to have a radio, gas gauge, rear wiper, fuel economy, smoother ride... I could go on! Although my Jimmy has served us for the better part of 18 years, I have to admit that the last couple of years has been something of an adventure! As one become intimate over time with a vehicle, you start to get a feel for what is right what's wrong. Hoping to not have to "get that feeling" again, for some time to come.

HH

Congrats! Who cares about the radio, gas gauge, rear wiper... :blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1: Most importantly, does it have a hitch? :D