Looking for a new boat

Shloim

Hello to all the good people on this site. I am in the process of selling a couple of water toys in order to buy a boat. I need help though...What I want is a 14 side console (preferred) with an at least 20HP motor. If anyone knows someone selling one Id be interested. But what Id like is all of your thoughts and advice, I need to stay between 3 and 4k.....Do I wait until fall? Im mainly checking kijiji but is there somewhere else I should check out? Help please

Just my opinion, but a 14 is far too small for a side console and you'll lose too much space with it.

Best to stick with a tiller in smaller boats, but as I said, it's only my opinion.

Ya, I agree with Lew. 16 ft would be better.

All around better size, especially in bad weather.

Probably want a bigger motor with 16 ft.

At least 3/4 of boat's motor rating.

Might get lucky watching Kijiji. Gotta look often.

This is peak boat buying season.

Ok then I had similair thoughts on the space issue that the console takes up. But it makes it feel like more of a boat, I'm not completely opposed to a tiller. But I want to stay within my price range though and 16's in that price range are that much rougher...

A buddy of mine just sold a 16ft lund SSV with 30 yammy tiller for $3500, so they're out there.

Consoles are just a waste of space. Nothing like the wide open space and total control in one hand of a tiller anyways :)

S.

Mostly casting for now, Fairly new fisherman with limited experience. Only at it for about 3 years. I prefer smaller lakes but would like more options available. Ill be launching solo alot so the in between size of a 14 is what I was thinking. I rented a 14 side console on balsam last summer and was fine with it even in some chop it was ok. Now Im thinking 14-16....

I'd get a tiller then customize it with casting deck, livewell etc.. You're just using up too much value space just to have a steering wheel + seat. But if that's what you want, then don't let anyone here tell you different.

Just sharing my thoughts. I moved over 12 years ago from a 16' console to a 16.5' tiller. HUGE difference in space....especially if you are casting a lot. Also, if you like to bait fish, the tiller, IMO, gives you much better boat control trying to stay over a spot. And a must with back trolling. My first boat was a 14' Lund with a 25 tiller....it did not take long at all for me to feel it was too small. My next move was the 16' mentioned above.

As for solo launching....I do it all the time with no problem (and I'm a fat senior citizen). My rig is a 16.5' Alumacraft Pro Magnum, with a 60hp Yamaha tiller. Bought it with a 50hp, and traded 4 years ago (after 10 seasons) for the 60.

Let us know what you do. Shopping for a new boat, and making a decision you feel good about is the goal. At least for me, I keep boats way longer than cars.

Also....have fun!!

I really like that split seat at the stern. Makes for a more comfortable tiller IMO

Any decent tiller will have this, I don't think I've seen one without. (Unless we are talking car toppers) I can't imagine it's fun to steer with one leg over the rear bench.

I've had tiller boats up to 16 feet all my life. For the most part I prefer them on all but the nastiest of days! A tiller is very east to troll and downrig out of as everything is all there beside you. I used to have dual walker electrics on my 16 footer and it couldn't be simpler! I would skip the console on that size of rig. It just gets in the way and really isn't required! You should be able to pick up a decent 14 with a reliable motor for that money!

Years ago I had a nice Strarcraft tiller very similar to this one.

It had a flat floor with a vinyl covering which makes standing and walking around much easier, plus it keeps your feet out of any water in the bottom of the boat.

Storage lockers on both sides that doubled as seats and it keeps the center of the boat wide open so your not hindered by having to step over bench seats to move around.

25 HP with a trolling motor up front and it made a nice little fishing package and I even crossed the full width of Nippissing in it a couple times.

I installed a swivel seat on the rear bench to make sitting for long periods more comfortable.

Just something else for you to consider.

13_ST_SF-DLX_16-TR_lg.png

Edited by lew

Any decent tiller will have this,

What do you mean by decent Bill?

I had a 14 ft Sylvan that was a very decent tiller. It was all bench seats. One of the best tillers I have ever owned really..I just like the new split.