Need line advice/braid (I think???)

akaShag

OK folks, I have been fishing crappies the last couple weeks on some of my usual lakes, all of which have zebra mussels. My normal choice for crappies is 2 or 4 lb test mono, but I occasionally use 6 lb fluorocarbon if I think the line is going to get some abuse.

Even the 6 lb fluorocarbon was getting pretty badly nicked and I was stripping off three or four feet fairly often to re-tie. I still lost a number of slab crappies to break-offs on the 4 lb mono and 6 lb fluorocarbon. I did not use my (NORMAL) 2 lb mono at all.

What line do I need to switch to? I am thinking I may have to go to a braid, but I really want to keep line diameter as small as possible as my fishing is pretty much all "finesse" fishing. I do not mind paying big bucks for quality products.

BTW the hot colours last week were chartreuse with fire tiger, and white. Two inch grubs out-fished everything else, and 1/16 oz jigs did the same.

Thanks for any advice.

Doug

Hmmmm, I thought braid might be LESS susceptible to nicks.

I am getting break-offs in the bottom couple feet of line, not at the knot (of that I am certain). I do not use a main line of "X" lb test" and a leader below that, for this type of fishing, I use one line on the spool. I have also checked my rod guides to ensure there are no nicks in them that might be causing this problem. The issue, I am fairly certain, is line fraying on zebra mussels.

Doug

Try using your light line with a little heavier flouro leader.

You could use your 4# mono with 3 feet of flouro (8# or 10#) if your 6# is having issues.

Also use a proper flouro leader material and not just main line material used as a leader.

Proper flouro leader is more abrasion resistant.

Braid will not help you. It is very susceptible to fraying and nicks. Much more so than flouro or mono.

Where are your break offs happening? Are you using a mainline/leader setup?

I know from experience zebra mussels will slice through braid like crazy.

I'm guessing you're still fishing on the bottom? You might want to try fishing with a float. Assuming you have it set at the right depth, problem solved.

As i rarely panfish when i was fishing crappie in my backyard i tied a small swivel to my braid and then tied about 3 feet of 4lb mono to that. After it had a couple cuts i pulled it of and tied a new piece to the swivel. I only broke off once

Back to Mike Borger.............

I use a float set-up about half the time, and I "slow-roll" the jigs about half the time. Even with the float set-ups, because I am frequently changing depths with locations, etc, I sometimes drag bottom.

So it sounds like braid is NOT the answer, and I should go to a heavier fluorocarbon leader, I will give that a whirl. What BRAND of fluoro leader is the best?

I had the same issues last year with bass, since about 90% of my bass fishing is finesse presentations with small baits and light line, might have to up-gun to heavier fluoro.........

Doug

Good day Doug.

I was dragging bottom this morning for some perch. Simcoe has it,s fair share of razor blades as well. I am running P-Line floro 6 pd. I didnt have an issue today. It,s my main line on my UL combos.

back to Misfish, do you have line memory issues with that P-Line? I had a reel of it maybe six years ago (6 pound fluoro) and had a lot of "KINKY" times with it...........

Doug

Yes I do at times. I find if I dont use a micro swivel while casting alot,I will get a bit of this KINKY as you call it. I just pull the line off the spool and re wind. Never a real issue for me.

Edited by Misfish

A buddy of mine who worked in the Fishing Dept at Bass Pro in Vaughn, REALLY liked P-Line and it was him that gave me the spool of it as a gift. Maybe I have not given it a fair chance..................like when I first tried Berkley Vanish, it was like a King Coil Mattress! But after a few dozen casts, it settled down and I now use Vanish for jigging, pretty much exclusively.

So many lines, so little time!

Thanks for the advice!

Doug

Sorry Doug. Did forget to give my two cents to this in your last email.

Don't like changing line or spools too often on light and ultralight set-ups used for crappies, trout and some bass and walleye fishing.

Use 8lb and 10lb PowerPro most often. Only thing I switch out are the 3 to 6 foot florocarbon leads which for crappies is usually 4 or 5lb. Trout, bass and eyes 6 or 8lb, sometimes 10lb for Rideau lakers. Always Drennan. I'll pick you up a spool sometime, it's quite tough stuff. Above 10lb, good floro options are the Seaguar and P-Line.

Garnet I guess you just don't get it, so you can parse your sentence and I will parse mine. And I will fondle my line with my fingers and you can kiss yours "threw" your lips if you wish.

I have been fishing for a very long time and I recognize operator error when I see it. This situation is not, PRIMARILY, operator error, it is equipment choice. I am not looking for advice about how I fish, I am looking for advice about a type of line.

Thanks anyways.

Doug

I been running straight 4lb berkely sensation this season. Same thing, have to re-tie often if your catching lots of fish. Its just how it is. The sensation casts really good, the reason I like it.

S.