Need line advice/braid (I think???)

akaShag

light lines are more susceptible to nicks and abrasions, end of story...I don't think you'll find any brand that will last a full day when you're fishing 2-6lb test, checking and re-tying is just part of the game

but if you're getting a lot of failures, have you checked your line guides?

I went through my fluoro phase, there's a lot more crap than good on the market, and with ultra light lines I don't think you're getting too much extra abrasion resistance compared to mono/copolymer, sounds like you need to step up to 8 or 10 lb tippet

for main lines though, a line I like a lot and is kind of hard to find is silver thread excalibur and sivler thread trout

back to bare foot wader.............

Yes indeed I checked the line guides, they are fine, so are the edges of the spools on my spinning reels. Yes I do re-tie, as I mentioned, but I am still thinking I need a change of line. By the sounds of things, Seaguar and Drennan are both good choices for leaders.

I fished Silver Thread back in the 80s and did not like it, never went back. I fished Stren in the 70s and didn't like it, never went back. Both companies probably produce fine lines these years, but.................it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Doug

back to bare foot wader.............

Yes indeed I checked the line guides, they are fine, so are the edges of the spools on my spinning reels. Yes I do re-tie, as I mentioned, but I am still thinking I need a change of line. By the sounds of things, Seaguar and Drennan are both good choices for leaders.

I fished Silver Thread back in the 80s and did not like it, never went back. I fished Stren in the 70s and didn't like it, never went back. Both companies probably produce fine lines these years, but.................it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Doug

I feel the same way about Hummingbird fish finders. Had one in the 80's, it sucked. Can't see past that to even think about buying one now.

Back to BillM, I was using 2 lb Fireline Crystal as my main line for fishing Texas-rigged worms. Yes the stuff is basically unbreakable. But I found that my pick-ups went way down with the stuff. I surmised that it was more visible to the fish............and switched back to the original Fireline. But I do not prefer it for this type of presentation..............

Doug

Wow, a true testament to different water bodies needing different tactics or confidence or.... Here i fish crappie on 6lb yellow PP and hammer em pretty good. Some days i use a leader of 4-6 lb fluoro but no difference aside from getting out snags. And i use this line for walleye too. Doesn't hurt abit IMO. The only reason i use a leader most times, is because I'm so amped the night before that i wanna do "more" to rig my rods lol. Just too antsy.

Edited by manitoubass2

Back to BillM, I was using 2 lb Fireline Crystal as my main line for fishing Texas-rigged worms. Yes the stuff is basically unbreakable. But I found that my pick-ups went way down with the stuff. I surmised that it was more visible to the fish............and switched back to the original Fireline. But I do not prefer it for this type of presentation..............

Doug

The last thing I'd be worrying about is the line spooking fish.. But it's all in your confidence.. If you don't like what you're using, it will be off the spool in no time :)

Wow, a true testament to different water bodies needing different tactics or confidence or.... Here i fish crappie on 6lb yellow PP and hammer em pretty good. Some days i use a leader of 4-6 lb fluoro but no difference aside from getting out snags. And i use this line for walleye too. Doesn't hurt abit IMO. The only reason i use a leader most times, is because I'm so amped the night before that i wanna do "more" to rig my rods lol. Just too antsy.

Hilarious!!! I used to do these types of things in my hockey playing days, tape a stick 3 times the day before a tournament. lol. It most definitely has carried over to my fishing habtis now.