Fishing regs books heads up

manitoubass2

I keep a copy in each vehicle and one on the back of the toilet.

When out touring around a map and a copy of the regs are invaluable. I don't have a smart phone and will put off getting one for as long as possible.

Good point about no regs as an excuse. Valid one or not, I think being given a copy of the regs or at least making it available at point of sale is the way to go.

No regs = no clue.

Entropy

Save yourselves the trouble of explaining why we are worse off without an adaquate supply of paper copies,bill has it all figured out and you guys should feel like dolts for questioning his logic :)

What's funny is that we've got a bunch of guys logged into the Internet fishing forum on their computers/smartphones complaining about the lack of paper regs :)

The irony!

Having the regs in hand is more important to someone who keeps the odd fish to eat and fishes multiple (or "new") water through-out the year.

I've picked up the odd walleye when muskie fishing on lakes that I don't fish walleye. It's nice to be able to have a quick look to see if I can have a fry that night. There are multiple lakes in the same zone that each have their own slot.

Not all of us are blessed with the same capacity to retain information as you are Bill. Just sayin.

If you've got ADD, I suggest using a printer. Most likely your best solution.

All joking aside, I can't be the only one that checks the regs before I go fishing, I'm sure you do the same :)

Edited by BillM

Its not a pleasing approach to save money, many fisherman rely on the paper regs.....oh but maybe its a trap...its a money supply tactic with the possibility of more fines. Our municipality wants to save money by removing street signs, they say you should already know where your going to go before you go. You can look it up on your smart phone while driving also.....maybe thats a trap also? One street sign must cost as much as 700 copies of regs to print, oh but wait we have a crown corporation for printing also. Its a poor example of money crunching in my opinion, some bean counter thats never fished or cared about fishing in his life possibly.

Wow, people getting bent out of shape that they might ween us off a 100 page book that we all pick up to read half a page of. Seriously, most of us only need 2 or 3 pages, that's it! At 5 cents a page at the Library, I'm sure the librarian would even hold your hand while you find it and select those 2 pages and hit the print button.

The MNR has a budget, those dollars would do better if they were allocated to a different resource.

And if you don't think the regs are easier to access today, I'll race you. You go find your book and I'll Google it. That book has gotta be around here somewhere ????

Some prefer paper, some rely on memory, some prefer online, or some blend of all of the above. Thats pretty obvious. I wonder where the money shifts too? And if this was planned in advance maybe a notice should be printed into the regs??? Anyhow, All this back and forth is ridiculous. You cant tell someone their opinion is wrong

Edited by manitoubass2

It's the people who need multiple pages for multiple lakes and multiple species that like having a hard copy. And it's not sitting in the living room that they want them. It's when they are in the boat or on the road.

Any evidence the money saved is being channelled to the resource? Remember we were told our fishing licence money would be for fish?

The regs for the last number of years (if not "forever") has had adds and while they likely didn't completely offset the printing costs why couldn't they?

Are those the same people doing 80km/h in 50km/h zone because they didn't see a speed limit sign? Zero excuse for not knowing the regs in the zone you are fishing.

When I grow up I want to be as smart as you Bill M. 90% of your posts are sarcastic or negative towards the OP or a responder. Why? I think the issue is a lack of printed copies of the regs are available. Not all are "smart phone" users and even yet few of us have ink in our printers. Speeding? That's your comeback? Ontario is a LARGE province with many exceptions and different regs. If every lake had posted reg signs you could use your speeding analogy...but they don't. It's a simple issue. A regs book should be easily obtainable and like already mentioned...I suspect the sponsors/advertisers pay enough for them to be accessible. Jump off your horse man.

If you've got ADD, I suggest using a printer. Most likely your best solution.

All joking aside, I can't be the only one that checks the regs before I go fishing, I'm sure you do the same :)

I'm sure 95% of us here do...but when you fish a number of different bodies of water that have a number of different exceptions a quick reference on paper in a ziploc in the storage compartment is nice to have. People do like to legally harvest the odd filet.

no smart phone for me either, and no internet at the cottage, I fish many different bodies of water and sometimes make spontaneous decisions on what lake I'm going to hit

I'd pay a little extra when I buy my licence to get a paper copy,

When I grow up I want to be as smart as you Bill M. 90% of your posts are sarcastic or negative towards the OP or a responder. Why? I think the issue is a lack of printed copies of the regs are available. Not all are "smart phone" users and even yet few of us have ink in our printers. Speeding? That's your comeback? Ontario is a LARGE province with many exceptions and different regs. If every lake had posted reg signs you could use your speeding analogy...but they don't. It's a simple issue. A regs book should be easily obtainable and like already mentioned...I suspect the sponsors/advertisers pay enough for them to be accessible. Jump off your horse man.

Some of the excuses you guys have are unbelievable.. From family members reading the regs wrong to not having ink for your printer? You all are still ignoring the fact that the regs are still available in printed form ,lol... Ignorance is bliss or what? Do you hear the hunters complaining about the hunting regs? I couldn't believe I actually found a copy last year, it was like winning the lottery! You need about 3 pages total, the overall FMZ regs and the exceptions. You wonder why I come off as I do sometimes?, all some of you guys do is whine and complain like little kids...

If you absolutely have no way to print out 3 pages, let me know and I'll happily print them off and mail them to you (no joke), just PM your mailing address.

Back in the early 1990s MNR approached a bunch of magazine publishers to see if one of them wanted to take over responsibility for publishing the fishing regs for them. We looked into it, figuring it would be a no-brainer to sell a bunch of ads into the booklet and make some great money. But once we got a look at the actual costs of printing and distributing these things, we said no thanks and walked away. The printing expense was just enormous, but the real killer was the warehousing and shipping cost. By the time you printed the thing and got it into people's hands, the cost was over seven figures, and that's in 1994 dollars.

As much as I also like having a paper reg book, I can totally understand why MNR wants to get rid of that expense every spring. The regs booklet is a huge expense that comes directly out of MNR's operating budget. Personally, I would rather see them spend my tax dollars on fish and wildlife management than to simply give it away to a trucking company every year.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Being the dinosaur that I am, it's my humble opinion that each and every license issued should be mailed out with a copy of the provincial regs in the envelope.

That would eliminate any "excuses" that one could come up with and provide proscuters with the leverage they may need should court be required.

If things keep going the way they are, the MNR is going to go the way of Rogers and others,charging us for our own bills!

HH

Here's your license but its an extra 5 bucks for a copy of the rules...no...we pay enough that they can print the rules and give us a copy.

They get enough ad revenue off them to cover it anyway.

best option is to have it available as an add on, $5 extra when you renew your license.

that way those who don't need it don't have to pay, and those who do cover the costs

Totally agree with you. Like Craig said, I'd like to see the money spent elsewhere.

I can't tell you the number of times i have been out and needed to start a fire...regs come in handy lemme tell you

this is exactly the point I made earlier, how many guys take a bunch of copies and waste them? (not a jab at you, most are guilty of this, myself included)

I have no issues with printing less regs, most guys can print at home or use their electronic devices...I wonder if tackle shops could legally print the regs and charge a few bucks for it?

would likely help public opinions if the MNR told us where they were allocating these savings