New boat is riding with bow very high

fisher

This is another reason to get max HP.

Take it out on a calm day. Every boat handles different. It may take you a full day or more to get the "feel" for it.

Move some weight around while your at it.

I would make trim tabs a last resort.

One thing I love about my boat is how easy it gets on plane. Half throttle, even with a full load, and she gets right on top. I went thru a couple different props, and trim settings to find the "sweet" spot though.

Good luck, im sure it will work out for ya!

S.

I have a light 16' Lund Sendero (1000 lb. hull) and I put a Yamaha F90 on it in 2005, never had any issues...It performed great with an Aluminum 21P prop, and even better with a SS 19P. I was concerned about the weight when I purchased the motor...Anyway, I would be very unhappy with a dealer that sold me a package that performed that way...Definately get in out on calm water, better yet take the dealer with you! Maybe call another dealer...

Edited by Pigeontroller

I would relocate the batteries as a start. The way to check it without doing the work is to just add a weight to the front like I mentioned. This will give you a rough idea of the amount of weight you need to move forward without changing anything. Keep in mind though you only want to move just enough weight forward as is required. The more weight you move tot he front the more prop slip you will encounter as the lever effect will force you to run extra trim to keep the bow up at wot. Moving weigh forward gets you out to the water faster and at slower speeds but decrease your top end. If you have two or three batteries moving just those to the bow will make a huge difference. Especially if you are already able to get on plane. I had a boat that wouldn't plane out at all. as in no way. I moved one battery forward and bingo problem solved.

I would setup the boat as properly as I could before I started adding things like trim tabs. jmho.

I have purchased two new boat packages through a local dealer and they always took me out with a rep/tech to ensure that the boat performed to my expatiations, The first boat we tried three different props before I was satisfied

Most are right, I probably have too much weight on the back but that should have been something the dealer should have known and told me about.

That's exactly what I thought when we bought our Smokercraft.

FWIW a 90 is max hp for the boat I bought, but the 4 stroke Merc was too heavy. The gas tank is right at the back which didn't help. I moved all the batteries right into the bow and that did virtually nothing.

As I said we exhausted every single option before giving up. I mulled over a smaller 4 stroke but ultimately went with a 90 etec as it's considerably lighter and still max hp. It's like a different boat now. Night and day.

Good luck, I've been down this road already and I feel your pain.

Wow - I hope your boat is different than Mikes BUT it does not sound good. You have owned boats before so Believe your gut if it tells you something is not right.

That is just Bull - I would be so royally pissed off if that happened to me. I would get back in there ASAP and demand a different engine. They can surely ran yours up and sell it as new on a different rig. They should know how a package performs if they are selling it.

I would hold off on trim tabs until you do some more testing. You should not need trim tabs on any 17 foot boat. Like has been suggested above you need to move some weight forward in your boat. Another issue I believe is that you are under propped. You should be in a 17 or 19 inch prop with cupping. A 4 blade will give you stern lift and cupping will allow it to plane at lower speeds. The bow lift is causing your problem. You need a prop to give you stern lift. Dealers are not the best at propping new boats. They prop for general use. Everyone will load there boat differently and thus require a different prop. Also as mentioned is the use of a hydrofoil. That will get the boat on plane faster and also hold it on plane at lower speeds.

I think you have a propping issue, not enough torque to get it on plane, you need to drop on pitch to get better lift out of the hole, also you need to know what your running for top rpm also, dropping pitch will increase top rpms, but at this point getting it to plain is more important than the top end rpms.

If its new the dealer should be taking care of this problem not you, they should supply you with the right equipment to get it to plane properly.

I still think one of your main issues is the prop.. I can't even believe there's a 15P on there. 17-19 at a minimum like ctered mentioned above. I put my spare prop on last year for a few weeks when I dinged the other one, and that was an identical prop pitch - 3/4.. The difference in the hole shot was pretty crazy, I can't even imagine a 15P...

I want to thank everyone for their input. It has been great to get everyone's insight/opinion before I speak to the marina that sold me the boat.

As you all have empathized with, it has been a very stressful experience thus far. Moving from a 20 year old boat that was working fine to a new boat that is at the point where I wouldn't feel safe in with more than 5-10 km hour winds is very disheartening. Although I am not yet regretting the purchase, I am not far from it if this does not get solved - but I think there is hope.

I understand balance is the problem - too much weight in the back - but I can't realistically eliminate weight from the back of the boat (I need/want both engines and don't want to downgrade to a lower HP to save a few pounds - not even sure that would be enough), The gas tank is where it is - can't relocate that and there is only 1 battery in the back. The rear bench is probably 50 lbs and I need the bench for seating. Aside from adding more weight to the front, there is not much else I can do to fix the weight distribution issue and I don't want to add more weight to the front if I can find another way.

From reading the web and PMs from members here, porpoising is a very common issue with Smokercraft but smart tabs seems to be the solution that is overwhelmingly referred to from members here and throughout the net. It's unfortunate that this is the way I have to go, but if it gets the rig to the point that I can enjoy it and feel sale in it, then that's fine with me (a it has been for others). As for the rig being overweight to the point that is will sink, I don't believe that is the case. It has a splashwell at the rear of the boat, and it did not have water coming in (or if it did, the water would shoot right back out). If the top of the transom (where the motor cutout is located) was sitting much lower, then I'd be concerned.

As I have said previously. I will be calling the dealer this morning to get their thoughts on solving this problem. In fairness to them, while I am upset at them that this is happening, I have not yet brought to their attention to give them the chance to respond/act.

The following is being posted as future reference for anyone else on the board that may experience similar issues with Smokercraft or any other boat (or for anyone else that may search the web). From these posts on the net, it appears there is a viable solution - whether it be a different prop or tabs (I just need to find what mine will be).

This from Walleye Central suggesting a different prop:

http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316850&page=2

"A very good friend has a 2008~ 172 Pro Angler with a 115 Opti. I've fished out of it MANY times. It's been a pretty solid boat for him. No major issues that I recall. It has the tan carpet which he hates and wishes it had center rod storage. It's definitely not a dry ride in 3 footers and likes to porpoise with a heavy load but not a deal breaker by any means. Getting the right prop will make all the difference with this boat. If you are pulling kids go with a 17P SS. "

This from e-Nation and according to some of the posts, it looks like Smokercraft knows of the issue and sent this one guy some tabs to install to fix it (guy never reposted on the outcome of those tabs):

http://community.evinrude.com/t5/Owner-s-Zone/porposing-problem-smoker-craft-172xl/td-p/11989

Well it's been a week now and I've heard nothing back from my dealer. It took me about two minutes to call smoker craft and have them tell me that they rig these boats with their own tabs through the dealer should there be any issues with porpoising. I declined not to tell them who my dealer was when asked in hopes he would come through. Not the case obviously at this point. I'm planning on calling smoker tomorrow to see if they'll deal directly with me. I'm fed up with chasing this guy down. Any thoughts as to weather evinrude would do a prop swap with me should I need to go with a rebel or cyclone instead of the viper?
Smoker craft sent me some tabs that are supposed to fix the problem. Not very optimistic...they're kinda cheap looking. Just a couple pieces of aluminum angle. Where would I look to find the pitch of my prop?
This from HullTruth advising Smart Tabs took care of the porposing:
Well moving the motor did not help. I installed smart tabs and it took care of the problem. You would think a brand new Boat would handle better without having to add aftermarket stuff. Oh well. It is pretty nice now. If anybody buys the same setup install the tabs!
Edited by fisher

Great post Fisher. Being a former Smokercraft owner (loved the boat) I had the same problem, was 10hp under max and there was no additional weight in the rear other than what is factory. It shoulda ran better without tabs, but it didnt. Put the tabs on...dream ride.

No offense to other posts, but IMO weight distribution (i.e. filling front livewell) is also a bandaid option.

Hope all works out for you and that you end up really enjoying your boat!!!

Get a prop designed for stern lift, it will be stainless and pricey but should be a big improvement. A cav. plate fin will help keep the nose down when your running slow and the last fix is adding a jackplate to improve your load carrying but this would likely void your warranty .

Spoke to the manager at the marina. He is going to contact Smokercraft to see their recommendation or if they have had other similar issues with my set up. He said he had same complaint with a different model last year and Smokercraft sent them some fixed tabs to install. He said that cured the problem. He also spoke of looking at the prop to ensure max RPMs, etc are being maintained and something else about spray, speed, etc...when we go for a test run when the lake they are on is ice free. So looks like things will get resolved eventually.

Until then, I will see how it handles in calm waters, although as I stated earflier, it is the rough water handling that I am very concerned about and handling in those conditions has already proven terrible. At least the calm water test will allow me to see if this issue also exists in that condition and have something to compare to in case the water is calm the day I go back to the dealer.

Will keep you all posted.

I still think one of your main issues is the prop.. I can't even believe there's a 15P on there. 17-19 at a minimum like ctered mentioned above. I put my spare prop on last year for a few weeks when I dinged the other one, and that was an identical prop pitch - 3/4.. The difference in the hole shot was pretty crazy, I can't even imagine a 15P...

thanks Bill, sounds like another item to check before possibly adding the tabs.

thanks Bill, sounds like another item to check before possibly adding the tabs.

I bought a new Skeeter/Yamaha 5 years ago and wanted an SS prop and to be sure I got the best one possible for my rig I phoned Skeeter in Texas and told them how I wanted to use the boat. They told me which prop would best suit my needs and that's the one I had the dealer install and it works perfectly.

It was probably a bit easier in my situation seeing as Yamaha owns Skeeter and it wasn't difficult for them to figure which prop would be best, but I'm sure in your case either Smokercraft or Merc should be able to figure out what would give you the optimal performance.

If you don't have a tach, you'll need one to know what your rev's are at top end to be sure everything is trimmed properly.

I bought a new Skeeter/Yamaha 5 years ago and wanted an SS prop and to be sure I got the best one possible for my rig I phoned Skeeter in Texas and told them how I wanted to use the boat. They told me which prop would best suit my needs and that's the one I had the dealer install and it works perfectly.

It was probably a bit easier in my situation seeing as Yamaha owns Skeeter and it wasn't difficult for them to figure which prop would be best, but I'm sure in your case either Smokercraft or Merc should be able to figure out what would give you the optimal performance.

If you don't have a tach, you'll need one to know what your rev's are at top end to be sure everything is trimmed properly.

Fortunately I have a tach on the boat and that is what I think the Marina manager was alluding to when he said we would have to work all that out in a test run to make sure I stay within proper RPMs, etc.... So good to hear that he is in synch with much of what has been suggested so far. But until I get it running right, I am going to be anxious.