It's never too late!

muskymatt

Please read!

When I was a kid, I had a superhero. Not just any superhero, my superhero was Batman, Superman, Spiderman and the Hulk all rolled up into one. My superhero knew everything about fishing and caught the biggest fish, he flew fighter jets in the sky and drove snowmobiles in the deepest coldest winter. He could do anything. Then as I got older and thought I knew everything, I got stupid, and rebelled against my superhero. Like a fool I distanced myself from him and we didn't talk for years. I am so thankful for my wife giving me 2 beautiful daughters as they gave reason to once again see my superhero, but things were never the same and there was always a sense of awkwardness when I was around him. But we had a common connection, his grandkids! Now my superhero has been diagnosed with cancer, and it's not good. I think so much of the past and what I have missed, not only me, but what I took from him, the opportunity to have fond memories of his son. I only hope he forgives me. So as I selfishly reflect on what could have been, I feel the overwhelming need to talk to and apologize to my superhero and hope he forgives me. It's going to be hard. So, if you find yourself in a situation like I was, fix it, because you might not get the chance. Life is too short to be filled with regret.
I love you dad!

Your on the right road Matt---and I'm sure there's no better time than right now to spend quality time with your Dad and his grandkids

Try and stay optimistic and start new

One last thing I would add.....Don't beat yourself up too badly over the past----"EVERY" one of us is guilty of putting up barriers for one reason or another

It is part of being human

So I would just say---forgive yourself---as I'm sure your Dad has already done

Lost my dad for drugs when I was 18-24 years old I went back in the worst way possible 15 grand up my nose and everything gone my house boat sleds truck and no where to go

he laid out the rules and too this day I thank him everytime I se him which is a lot now.

Just go give him a big hug and tell him your sorry

Edited by Rodbender

So you're an army brat Matt.. that explains a lot! :)

This sounds like a flash back to '86 for me... the past is the past... tomorrow is tomorrow and you should be at your fathers for Easter Monday!

Hoping both that you get it figured out.. and your father does his best with this beast.

I had a period of about 10 years where I never saw nor spoke with my dad after my parents split up. Don't dwell on the past, it's water under the bridge now and time to forget about it. Spend some time with your dad, have a few laughs, give him a hug and make some new memories. Wishing your Dad all the best.

I cut off all communication with my Dad last year.

Haven't spoke to him since. This is after 15 years of trying to convince him to put the bottle down. Cutting him out of my life was not easy, and it's not a long term solution. But I don't know what to do right now.

I need to focus in my son right now. He needs me more than my Dad does.

You should be grateful to have a father to talk to. My dad was(is) a terrible waste of a human being,

I wish i had someone to fish with as i grew up.

You should do what you have to do to make things right and enjoy the time you have with him.

Some of us would love to have a good father.

Even when he wasn't your friend.....he was your dad. Be the bigger man and go mend the fence.

My parents split in 1980 (I was 6) and I haven't really had a dad since. We visited every year but as I grew older some years were skipped. After University I went out West with my girlfriend and lived with my dad for a year. He has been a good buddy but a terrible dad. Lucky for me I had my maternal Grandpa who was "my superhero" growing up. He taught me all the things a dad was supposed to. I wish he was here right now.