Live Target Lures......any good?

captpierre

Sure they work… Anglers have been buying them for years. :tease:

Seriously they are a quality lure that are comparable price-wise to other name brand cranks. They might be more detailed then necessary for most situations but in clear water that might just be the difference that's puts a fish on the line.

I'm a big fan of the #8 smelt for night eyes. Also really like the medium size 3-5 ft craw for bass in rivers. The price is worth it in my opinion. The finish on the lures holds up well compared to most other baits I use. My only complaint is that they don't make a perch pattern smelt. Xraps and husky jerks in perch have been a big part of my arsenal for the last few years. To me the live target perch is inferior. Put stripes and a bit of green and orange on a smelt and live target will have another winner.

I've had good luck with the blue gill,dark crawfish and of coarse the green with yellow frog.The frog in my opinion is worth every cent.The other two catch no more than my cotton cordell crank bait collection.I also agree that the detail may be a little more then really needed at times.

Love their frogs. I only have them for regular frogs and the spro ones for poppers. I have a few lipless cranks that seem to catch more fisherman than fish but I haven't used it a lot. The attention to detail in their baits is second to none though and I do beleive they are worth the money. Their new bait all series look interesting as well.

I was in Burns Fishing in Burlington last summer looking for a lure that would swim shallow and go over the top of weeds. He suggested I try the Live Target Jointed Pumpkinseed. It runs at 0-1' ft and leaves a wake. I used it 3 times last year. I caught SM bass at the Niagara Glen with it and Pike at the local reservoir. The 3rd time using it I was trolling with 2 rods and hooked up with the other rod. I left it in the water while I reeled in the other rod. When I went to reel it in there was nothing on the end of my line. There not small it must have been a decent sized fish. Should have been using a leader.

I'm cheap and can't afford a tackle box full of Live Targets but its worth having a couple of them. I bought 2 today- $19.99 each.

boatreno5036_zps5aee2cf9.jpg

Funny how we all have our price point. Livetarget is about my max price wise, but if I'm buying a lure that I deem "bass specific" my price point comes down. I guess I don't see bass being as finicky or tough to catch as walleye or trout. (Not saying I'm right, just the way I feel)

Agree Art. After watching JP's old show I thought I would go to Fishing World and pick up a couple of the Mega Bass lures he was using. When I saw the price I passed.

Glad one of us didn't fall for it. lol They are good lures but I think that the megabass topwater is dead even with the live target mouse. The action of the mouse is as slick as a buttered saddle.

Art

Love their frogs. I only have them for regular frogs and the spro ones for poppers. I have a few lipless cranks that seem to catch more fisherman than fish but I haven't used it a lot. The attention to detail in their baits is second to none though and I do beleive they are worth the money. Their new bait all series look interesting as well.

The Golden shiner lipless bait is gold. Catches many different species, and even works great jigging through the ice for Eyes and Lakers. Lipless crappie is great as well.

Funny how we all have our price point. Livetarget is about my max price wise, but if I'm buying a lure that I deem "bass specific" my price point comes down. I guess I don't see bass being as finicky or tough to catch as walleye or trout. (Not saying I'm right, just the way I feel)

I hear ya, I won't hardly part with $10 a lure for standard plugs, $20 is a big stretch, but if something really caught my eye I suppose I'd do it, but not a bass lure, bass is a budget affair, they will eat just about anything in my experience!

I've only really used the smelt and lipless rattle bait with success. Both are pretty good. I like the bigger smelt for pike sometimes and walleye. The little smelt was a good bait for night time eyes in some pressured waters when used like a jerkbait, I put a bit of splitshot on to get it down and it gets hit sometimes when nothing else does.

I've trolled the large deep diving perch for big pike with no success, but sure it has it's place. My buddy used it in my boat for musky a few times and think it got bit once.