Question before buying a used boat .

Muskieman

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new to me boat ...

2007 Alumacraft 165 Dominator Sport / 2007 Merc 115 Opti Max...

the boat is in excellent condition comes with a camper top , new 24V Minn Kota , safety gear and a Lowrance GPS plotter, 12,500.00...

Does anyone here run a similar set up , what should I watch out for and what should I expect ?

I have a week to make up my mind.

Thanks gang !

Randy

I have friends that own them , they speak highly of the brand , I had a choice between a comparable Polarkraft / Yamaha and an Express /Suzuki , I didn't like that they came with a 90 , although the fit and finish was nicer than the Alumacraft , buying a riveted boat has become difficult , thanks for the input ..

Disengage the safety and PULL THE TRIGGER!!!! WHATCHA WAITIN' FOR?!?!?!

Not a merc fan but given the year, brand of hull, Hp's and options it's more than fair value as long as it all checks out.

Edited by moxie

when i bought my boat in the winter, i put a deposit of 50%, cash, then left the boat at the sellers until march when we could put it in some water.

i wanted to see it float, no leaks, and see the engine run.

it all did....and i paid the next half.

all worked out.

X2 to what Wayne & Steve said. Compression test, look over and a sea trial on soft water. Did it with mine 4 years ago and have been flawless so far. If the seller has nothing to worry about he'll take the deal. If he hums and haws, well, that'll maybe be a hint something isn't quite what it should be? Hope it works out for ya.

Post few pics once the deal's signed.

I have a 2006 90 hp Optimax. It's been a great engine for me. I'll give a rundown of repairs I've had to make over the years.

1. I forget what it was called (cars have them too, or used to, each cylinder has one), but it I had a resistor/solenoid or something similar replaced a couple years ago, it was an electrical problem. I think there was a recall for it. I've only had one replaced, the rest were tested and still good. It was not an expensive fix.

2. A compressor belt blew up. I didn't even know it existed until it went. It was not an expensive fix.

3. Impellor changed out once. It was working fine, I just felt it was time to change it out.

4. The seal in front of prop needed replaced. I hit a rock one summer with the prop and that fall I noticed the lower end oil looked a little milky. Is the prop in good shape?

I'm obviously no mechanic, but if I were buying your engine, I would consider having a mechanic look over these possible issues before the season starts.

Good luck, Andy.

Great boat... make it conditional on Giesler Marine going over the motor before money changes hands. Be well worth the $300 or so spent for a couple hours in their shop.

just like what Wayne said !!!!' Well worth the $300 and be worry free and piece of mind and then you will be happy and no more wondering if you made the right decision .... It's a no brainier man !!!!

Sounds like a nice rig:) Like others have said just make sure you get the motor looked at. If the guy is a dealer he should have no problem printing you off a report from the engines computer which will show everything the motor has been subject to (overheating, coil or injector issues etc.) There can be issues there that the prev. owner did not even know about. A compression check is also always a must when buying anything with a used motor. Can be a god idea as well to see if the seller will offer some kind of limited warranty (i.e. cover some of the cost of any unforseen major repairs).

FYI An engine diagnostic with compression check should cost no where near 300 bux . About 150 actually should you not require any fluids or parts