BPS - Canada

GBW

but davey, is that all you bought?

sounds to me like another classic example of a CPS bait and switch.

they got you into the store....knowing full well they wouldn't have much stock on their "on sale" item.

but as long as they get people in the store, they know they'll make money.

such a dirty tactic.

they got you into the store....knowing full well they wouldn't have much stock on their "on sale" item.

such a dirty tactic.

Steve,I go in far to often,bought a float rod,all my fly gear,lures from time to time,the list goes on.I'm a CT fan,I know their prices for the most part.As you know they don't have the inventory.Right off the highway,pass by everyday.Honestly,if they close I would miss them.

such a dirty tactic.

lol real dirty bringing him in to the store and offer him something larger and better for the same price.

ahhhh So you want to know if BPS is closing down a productive outlet to get out of fixing an allegedly defective product that you may have purchased from them? Don't know what to tell you Geoff.....tough call.

Not 1 bit Roy. Not at all; not by a long shot. I want to know what BPS plans to do because from what I hear and understand they are abusing the 'system' to open up a store, make money and then close it and move to another location just like the example Wayne gave.

Just looking for more insight from others that might have it is all.

So where are you hearing this? Certainly not the property owners (Ivanhoe-Cambridge). Not their legal section either. Vaughan Mills gets 13.5 million visitors a year......that's a lot of folks to be walking away from.

I am hearing this from a Toronto Law Firm I know personally. That BPS is gone if the grants are not renewed. Hence the items in the store like the big fish tank (allows for a grant discount). That is there as a TAX and GRANT use. Not to just show people the fish as much as they lead you to believe...

Edited by GBW

Just because Vaughn Mills get's "13.5M" people a year does NOT mean they are all going to BPS and that 13.5M people are all spending even $1 in BPS. Stat's are not always reflective of the truth. After all 71.9% of stat's are made up on the spot to make things sound better than they are. How do I know that stat? Yeah, I made it up but I bet I'm DAMN close to the real stat...

What does this all mean to you? Corporation getting the best of government.... Not the first time we have all heard this. You seem to have some sort of bone to pick here? Or maybe the first time your getting a taste of this corporate smoke show? There are alot of former factory workers who have lived it.

I said this a few years back.. and BPS doesn't "support" my opinion at all.. but when I'm in there I'm like a kid in a candy store.... just naive I guess. Up here we have some smaller retailers and the one "aisle" at my local CT so... even when i buy something down there the one or two times a year im Toronto I never expect to have a chance to return it or worry about the warranty... just doesn't cross my mind while i look up starry eyes and all at the float plane... lol.... The first time I went in - I had a conniption when i saw all the reels on handles i could try... I actually bought a couple of brands that I never would have cause I could try them.. sorta... good luck with that in a small town. I have to go very quickly to Toronto in March for family business... and I'm going to stop in and buy 4 rods and 4 reels for my summer trip to Kesagami, cause I'm not used to fishing for fish that size and last year my equipment disappointed me... actually worse.. lol disappointed my wife.. The selection is important to me. Am i gonna freak out about the warranty.. no not really.. generally if something I own breaks.. well 99 % of the time its cause I broke it lol. When it comes to fishing equipment... um GTA is SPOILED!!

I will say this while we are complaining about BPS.. The people in their gun section... have made me walk away from a purchase twice now ... I don't know what it is about people and gun sellers in the south (I'm gonna get crap for this) but they are like golf pros and steelheaders in their snobby attitude. I'm a northern boy that knows that an old Sears 30-06 bolt action with a 180 grain silver tip.. will drop anything.... consistently. I have 20 long guns some new some handed way way down, like my favourite 30-06 Betty Lou! and when you go in there... (some other stores included..) if your not already knowledgeable about guns -( specifically calibers etc.) they look down their nose at you.. (Of course this is only my humble opinion) Its like they are doing you a favour just serving you .... Ive been hunting all my life and harvested more game than alot of folks, especially those snobs behind the counter that I don't need to feel uncomfortable when trying to buy something from them. (plus all they have are turkey guns... we aint got none of dem turkeys up here... lol) hey ... come to think of it... maybe I have the bad attitude.. lol

So would I miss BPS... yes I would... but not for their warranty .. lol

plus then nobody here would have anything to complain about lol .... our traffic would tank......

Got to admit I love strolling through BPS. I've seen the big tank 100 times and I'll still gawk at it 100 more. No different than the MNR tanks I've stared at during the Sportsmen and Fishing shows these past 50 years.

I also get to see a much wider selection of product, and ideas, than any where else but the trade shows. Once in a blue moon I may buy something that catches my eye, or for the right price. Like the 1/2 price fish fryer I picked up a few years back.

I'll probably enjoy strolling through the new Cabelas just as much.

I said this a few years back.. and BPS doesn't "support" my opinion at all.. but when I'm in there I'm like a kid in a candy store.... just naive I guess. Up here we have some smaller retailers and the one "aisle" at my local CT so... even when i buy something down there the one or two times a year im Toronto I never expect to have a chance to return it or worry about the warranty... just doesn't cross my mind while i look up starry eyes and all at the float plane... lol.... The first time I went in - I had a conniption when i saw all the reels on handles i could try... I actually bought a couple of brands that I never would have cause I could try them.. sorta... good luck with that in a small town. I have to go very quickly to Toronto in March for family business... and I'm going to stop in and buy 4 rods and 4 reels for my summer trip to Kesagami, cause I'm not used to fishing for fish that size and last year my equipment disappointed me... actually worse.. lol disappointed my wife.. The selection is important to me. Am i gonna freak out about the warranty.. no not really.. generally if something I own breaks.. well 99 % of the time its cause I broke it lol. When it comes to fishing equipment... um GTA is SPOILED!!

I will say this while we are complaining about BPS.. The people in their gun section... have made me walk away from a purchase twice now ... I don't know what it is about people and gun sellers in the south (I'm gonna get crap for this) but they are like golf pros and steelheaders in their snobby attitude. I'm a northern boy that knows that an old Sears 30-06 bolt action with a 180 grain silver tip.. will drop anything.... consistently. I have 20 long guns some new some handed way way down, like my favourite 30-06 Betty Lou! and when you go in there... (some other stores included..) if your not already knowledgeable about guns -( specifically calibers etc.) they look down their nose at you.. (Of course this is only my humble opinion) Its like they are doing you a favour just serving you .... Ive been hunting all my life and harvested more game than alot of folks, especially those snobs behind the counter that I don't need to feel uncomfortable when trying to buy something from them. (plus all they have are turkey guns... we aint got none of dem turkeys up here... lol) hey ... come to think of it... maybe I have the bad attitude.. lol

So would I miss BPS... yes I would... but not for their warranty .. lol

plus then nobody here would have anything to complain about lol .... our traffic would tank......

You'll be fine bud :tease: plenty to complain about comming right up !--The Toronto Sportmen's Show-Toronto starts tommorow

Some go to have a bad time--lol

ID1

You'll be fine bud :tease: plenty to complain about comming right up !--The Toronto Sportmen's Show-Toronto starts tommorow

Some go to have a bad

hahahahahaha

Thanks. It answers my question. :)

What does? The legal firm in TO dealing with the matter or the whole percentage thing?

I don't understand the BPS hate. If you don't like it, don't bother going there..

Did I say I hate them? Rather upset they plan to walk in, sell as much as they can in a limited time and then turn and walk away. You want fries with that BillM?

Not 1 bit Roy. Not at all; not by a long shot. I want to know what BPS plans to do because from what I hear and understand they are abusing the 'system' to open up a store, make money and then close it and move to another location just like the example Wayne gave.

Just looking for more insight from others that might have it is all.

Or since they're opening up more outlets they figure they'd make a little noise so they can extend or sweeten the deals they've already made. Squeaky wheel gettin grease and who knows what the hell else at our expense over and over and over and.........you get the idea.

Sure is nice to look at but I've only been there twice in the past year mainly due to the same old mainstream bobbles they have carried since the very beginning. Peg boards are nicely stocked but a store of that size should carry every size, weight and colour of every brand. A store that size should strive and pride itself in becoming the one stop shopping experience and has fallen short for me on more than a few occasions.

That is why the dying breed of local ma and pa outlet is so important. There you can usually find what you need and not what the box stores want you to buy. They will unfortunately pay the ultimate price as these giants ramp up operations.

I doubt BPS will go anywhere with Cabelas honing in on a piece of their market share but to tell you the truth it wouldn't bother me one bit if they did.

I could care even less than Landry does if they left either.

Edited by moxie

Just sounds like a classic case of "threaten big" when you are dealing with governments, probably some junior crat has a P3TA fetish and said in the early discussions that they weren't going to renew anything. Then the big crats will get involved and the store will be given away literally in this case LOL. The truth is we survived economically before they came here and we will survive if they leave.

That being said I spend money there whenever I am in the area 3.5 hr drive for me so I don't go that often. I DO enjoy buying from the website with the NO SHIPPING charges to Canada though.

+1 on what Wayne said, I had a friend who used to make motorcycle fairings and was looking to expand here. Just as he was looking to hire 10 people Oakville insisted he put in a down draft paint booth because one neighbour complained about the smell of the fiberglass curing...(which he figured wouldn't have been helped by any paint booth).

He shopped around and Tennessee gave him the use of a plant 3 times bigger than he needed rent free for 5yrs (which he was allowed to rent out the space he didn't need and KEEP the money. They paid to train his workers for 3 months, and no state tax for the first 3yrs as long as he kept 5 employees on for 35hrs a week.... When he signed up they told him later there was more they could have offered LOL. Now of course under Nafta those are all no nos but he said he could live with himself for accepting the offer.

Did I say I hate them? Rather upset they plan to walk in, sell as much as they can in a limited time and then turn and walk away. You want fries with that BillM?

You should stop drinking the koolaid.

When was the last time a major retailer opened up, stayed for XX amount of time for the tax benefits, was the most profitable store in the entire chain, then left?

Edited by BillM