what knots do you tie and when

bass_man

for the last 40 years I have been tying the improved clinch knot on everything, it's the only one I know.

I like it ok on mono, but have never liked it on Dacron trolling line and I hate it on fluorocarbon leaders.

I obviously need to learn some new knots, what do you guys tie for Dacron, slippery braid, and fluorocarbon?

Thanks for any info you can give me. Jim

Improved clinch for mono and flouro

Uni-Uni for any type of braid > leader knot in which I don't use a barrel swivel.

Palomar for straight Braid to swivel/snap.

Nanofil knot (or double Palomar as I like to call it) for Nanofil.

Leader to tippet (flyfishing) double surgeons.

Edited by BillM

I use the improved clinch knot for everything including braid and fluoro. The only time I use another knot is for joining 2 pieces of line together. For this is simply take the tag ends and line them up flush with each other, make a loop and wrap the 2 tags around the line 3 times and tighten it up. This works on almost any connection. The only difference with the improved clinch and fluoro or braid is that I make a few more wraps as they are a little slippier than mono!

My dad taught me the double Windsor, but the army wouldn't let me use it.

I appreciate all of the input guys, keep it coming.

I've found a canoe man loop knot that looks perfect for crank baits, the loop will let the baits wiggle freely, but it doesn't look like it would work for big spinners where you would want a tight grip on the wire when there is no eyelet.

I also like the looks of the polymer knot, but it could be difficult with that large bent spinner bait.

Maybe the uni is the answer here.

Jim

Paloma's and the same as Chris Brock above !!!! Usually only 3 knots !!!! And all the years of salmon fishing usually let you know what knots work best and those ones hold up pretty good I have had split rings tear off and hooked get pulled straight and the knots still hold !!!!!

I'm the same as most - 95% of the time get by with improved clinch for flouro/mono, palomar on braid, and back to back Uni for flouro leaders.

Just give your knots a solid check. Careful with the improved clinch on flouro, it slips if not lubed and synched down nicely but never had one break at the knot.