Private hospitals in GTA? - NF -

okumasheffield

Unless Public policy has recently changed, MOH frowns upon the establishment of private hospitals in Ontario, or the establishment of preferential private plans. The Toronto Hospital tried to sign on with Amex's preferred care program some years back and the province shut that deal down.

The exception being for longstanding establishments already under practice for some time. Shouldice clinic is one that comes to mind

Definitely bigbuck... if you have an employee hurt (or needing a knee replacement :whistling:) the employer can pay for it on their behalf. How do you think all these hockey players get repaired the next day.. and sometimes the same night?

Edited by irishfield

Here is more background information ...

Wife of my buddy gave birth this past Saturday and was discharged 1 day after with tremendous amount of pain.

He argued with the doctor to let his wife stay in the hospital longer (willing to pay for additional costs, of course)

until her condition got better.

Needless to say, she was discharged just like others regardless of individual's ability to recover.

1 day later, his wife was rushed to ER and was determined to have a complication caused by infections.

Obviously, no men would want to see their wives suffering, especially because of a health system providing

bare minimum amount of support when compared to other countries'.

the health system of the country they come from provides minimum 7 days stay in hospital to women who give births

to ensure there will be no health issues prior to discharge instead of the 'crap', they went through.

Hence, he is looking for private hospitals providing such services he wants

instead of being told it is what he/she is ALLOWED to have.

As far as I am concerned, I CANNOT imagine to be discharged from the hospital 24 hrs after getting C-sectioned.

Agreed. There is definitely a 2nd & more efficient 'tier' of healthcare in most provinces. These are typically labelled 'institutes' or 'clinics' and are fully accredited to the same standard as hospitals. The 'dirty little secret' our provincial health care ministries don't want us to know, is that these institutes/clinics operate @ significantly lower costs with a higher level of patient care, therapy & significantly better recovery/outcomes.

Unfortunately, currently these are only available/affordable to the wealthy or insurance/worker compensation claims.

It boggles my mind as to why our provincial health care plans refuse to embrace, fund, refer & reimburse these institutes/clinics where specialty care is required. Taxpayer savings would be exponential.

Edited by pikeslayer

He was concerned (I would as well) that stitched wound would pop OPEN and was told that it is impossible because all stitched up.

To make the matter even worse, his wife was SCREAMING & was BEGGING him to stop driving because of pain caused by road vibrations.

They turned around and went back to the hospital and the reply was "PAIN CONTROL is part of the recovery, Take painkillers if necessary"

Well, he went ballistic and started yelling

"WTH would you not allow my wife to stay until there is much less pain?"

"WTH would you not give my wife painkillers before discharging her from the hospital?"

You can imagine how pissed off he was when rushing to ER the day after.

"This is EXACTLY why my wife should have stayed in the hospital for couple more days so that you incompetent "axxhole" can at least

fix up mistakes without making my wife suffer"

it got to the point I was called by the hospital security to bail him out.

Unbelievable. I would not believe it if I were not involved in it.

Have your buddy rush his wife to another hospital. Preferably a larger one. My wife had 2 caesareans and was in for 3 nights if my memory serves me correctly. They CANNOT discharge her if she refuses and does not think she is well enough. Come to think of it, she was in for 5 nights for the second child because we has Norwalk ripping through the house which put her into early labour. Tell him to be firm but not get irate, that does not help his wife. Screaming in pain after a c section is not normal. I wish him all the luck. Our health care system is not perfect but it is what we have to work with. For my cancer treatment, I cannot give enough praise to my doctor and the nursing staff at Credit Valley's chemo ward.

My wife got 2 nights without a C section. My impression is that C section patients generally get more (have friends who were in for a few days).

I'd say your friend's experience is an aberration. As someone else pointed out, perhaps go to a different hospital next time. (or this time, if she's still having issues)

Although medical science is advancing considerably, patient care has declined. As to the c=section:

30 years back a primip (first birth) C-section had a standard 3 day hospitalization.

Non complicated vaginal births could be discharged after 24 hours. These norms have all changed

It is not only the ministry that sets these standards. Each hospital sets its standards of care depending on the schools of thought prevalent within the OB/Gyn department. Advocates for natural birthing, aggressive intervention, on demand inducement and C-sections, traditional midwifery, research medicine, all having differing methodologies and agendas, all wanting the "best interest" of the patient.

In the current medical climate it is important to be familiar with the MD you choose, and just as important to make yourself familiar, and comfortable, with the hospital at which your physician practices. When doctors and hospital staff are on differing pages, the patient, all too often, is caught in the middle, and suffers accordingly.

Politics in hospitals are just as dirty as the politics found on parliament hill. I am so glad to have gotten away from it some 20 years ago.

Apparently, he was told by nurses/docs the decision making is solely dependent on the doctor as long as the doc goes by the 'standards'

Any doctors to provide insights?

As said before, those standards differ from hospital to hospital, department to department, school to school. That as clear an answer as you will get. MD's do not discuss policy or standards outside the fold. I spent 9 years in Hospital administration during the amalgamations in the 1980's. TO quote a line from M.A.S.H., "There are no saints in surgical garb".

Apparently, he was told by nurses/docs the decision making is solely dependent on the doctor as long as the doc goes by the 'standards'

Any doctors to provide insights?

Go to a different doctor. I'd say her 1 day situation is an aberration.