Private hospitals in GTA? - NF -

okumasheffield

24 Hrs is too short for sure.

However, you don't want to spend anymore time in a hospital than you have to.

It's full of sick people. Greater chance to get an infection in hospital than at home. The Babe too.

She would have had that complication whether she stayed or was discharged.

Pain needs to be well managed. They are caught though, meds pass thru to the Babe. Less is better.

I remember when we went into the delivery ward for our first delivery. A woman was screaming in labour.

The nurse told us with a smirk. "She's Italian.....they are very vocal, you'll be fine" and we were :)

Definitely bigbuck... if you have an employee hurt (or needing a knee replacement :whistling:) the employer can pay for it on their behalf. How do you think all these hockey players get repaired the next day.. and sometimes the same night?

My company sent me to Buffalo for an MRI 2 days after I tore my good knee up then made arrangements for the surgery the next Saturday to get me back on the job asap. Was looking at a year through OHIP plus recovery. Then they hired a private therapist and received daily sessions at the plant hospital. I asked for more money if they thought I was that valuable, they gave me my own parking space.

The health care system in Hamilton has served my wife and myself well. I couldn't complain until just recently.

I had a cystoscopy to remove a bladder tumor in November of 2011. Part of the follow up is a cystoscopy every 6 months for 2 years then annually for life. A cystoscopy is when the surgeon takes a 1/2 inch piece of ABS pipe and cuts the end off with a hack saw and doesn't smooth out the burr. Then he jams it down inside your penis and moves it around for 5 minutes. This is done while your wide awake. Oh yea, there's a topical ointment applied to numb the pain. There is no numbing that pain I can tell you. After I was able to get off the table the first time I said " the next time you do this I will be put under, they put you under for a colonoscopy and I've had one without a General and that doesn't hurt at all ". He told me that when they set up the new Urology Clinic at St. Joseph's in Hamilton they didn't budget for an anesthesiologist. So for 2 years I counted the days until the next torture session because hey, a Doctor would never lie to you. This past December I received a letter from the McMaster Urology Clinic at St. Joseph's Hospital saying Dr. Paul Whalen would no longer be associated with the clinic. I was told by my family Dr's office to find myself a urologist that provides a General, another too long story. I was willing to drive to Ottawa. I found a Urologist that does provides General for this exact procedure. He is part of the group of Urologists at McMaster University Urology Clinic at St. Joseph's Hospital in Hamilton Ontario Canada. If Paul Whalen want's to sue me I say go ahead, I dare you to, make my day. In fact I haven't been to Victoria for years, maybe I should sue for pain and suffering plus emotional distress, which all of which is absolutly true.

All I would need to do to be awarded damages is have the Judge undergo the procedure himself, it would be my luck to get a woman judge.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

The health care system in Hamilton has served my wife and myself well. I couldn't complain until just recently.

I had a cystoscopy to remove a bladder tumor in November of 2011. Part of the follow up is a cystoscopy every 6 months for 2 years then annually for life. A cystoscopy is when the surgeon takes a 1/2 inch piece of ABS pipe and cuts the end off with a hack saw and doesn't smooth out the burr. Then he jams it down inside your penis and moves it around for 5 minutes. This is done while your wide awake. Oh yea, there's a topical ointment applied to numb the pain. There is no numbing that pain I can tell you. After I was able to get off the table the first time I said " the next time you do this I will be put under, they put you under for a colonoscopy and I've had one without a General and that doesn't hurt at all ". He told me that when they set up the new Urology Clinic at St. Joseph's in Hamilton they didn't budget for an anesthesiologist. So for 2 years I counted the days until the next torture session because hey, a Doctor would never lie to you. This past December I received a letter from the McMaster Urology Clinic at St. Joseph's Hospital saying Dr. Paul Whalen would no longer be associated with the clinic. I was told by my family Dr's office to find myself a urologist that provides a General, another too long story. I was willing to drive to Ottawa. I found a Urologist that does provides General for this exact procedure. He is part of the group of Urologists at McMaster University Urology Clinic at St. Joseph's Hospital in Hamilton Ontario Canada. If Paul Whalen want's to sue me I say go ahead, I dare you to, make my day. In fact I haven't been to Victoria for years, maybe I should sue for pain and suffering plus emotional distress, which all of which is absolutly true.

All I would need to do to be awarded damages is have the Judge undergo the procedure himself, it would be my luck to get a woman judge.

I had the same procedure @ about the same time @ CVH, less the 1/2 " ABS. Quite enjoyed it & ended up with a fishing date with the attending nurse who had recently emigrated from Australia ;)

Something definitely went wrong with your buddies wife's situation that's for sure. Almost sounds like the hospital my son was born at on Keele Street..

The current system.. I can make absolutely no complaints about other than OHIP not covering what will be my daughters 22nd x $3,000 Neulasta needle on Sunday. Beyond that I can thank the tax payers of Ontario for well over 2 million dollars so far..

Something definitely went wrong with your buddies wife's situation that's for sure. Almost sounds like the hospital my son was born at on Keele Street..

The current system.. I can make absolutely no complaints about other than OHIP not covering what will be my daughters 22nd x $3,000 Neulasta needle on Sunday. Beyond that I can thank the tax payers of Ontario for well over 2 million dollars so far..

Don't want to hijack this thread any farther than it has been, is she doing better Irish?

Pikeslayer, if you enjoyed that your sick man, just a sick puppy. Glad to hear about the date, that numbs the pain. She got to know you well while you were laying there, maybe it wasn't your mind she was after, good going.

All kidding aside (except for the nurse), I'm thinking the 'probe' was more like a 30# mono diameter.

As Wayne stated, OHIP for the most part serves us we'll. But 'exceptions/exclusions' can be life altering for patients & financially crippling for some families.

As part of our investment/retirement fund, we have invested significantly in extended medical benefits outside of Canada.

Investing in extended medical benefits outside of Canada is the only way to go, I think.

Buddy's wife has been covering ok so far and swear she would never give birth in Ontario again

There are bad apples in every profession - doctors, police, bankers, plumbers, ditch diggers, painters, etc etc etc. Doesn't mean everyone in that profession is bad. Sometimes people also just make mistakes.

Your friend's experience is pretty rare - I don't know ANYONE with a C section who was sent home (or even allowed to leave) after just one day. Ontario has a pretty good system. I wouldn't trade it for what you see in the US.....if that's what you're comparing it to.

Edited by cram

I believe you can discharge yourself but have no say as to when they discharge you. When they discharged my father from emergency after a stroke (TIF mini stroke ) I wrote out a note saying I didn't agree and held that emergency not yet 25 year old Dr. responsible, she wouldn't sign it, I had it witnessed by another patients family member. I bet that kid Dr. didn't sleep much. He was back the next day with a second stroke. Then they admitted him. Same Dr. sent him upstairs asap. I guess it's called gaining experience, but it's at the risk of a life in medicine.

Can anyone confirm if patients have any says on being discharged from hospitals considering each individual has different recovery rate?

Have been out of that public sector loop for some time, but hospitals were required to allow/ recognize/ fund a patient advocate or ombudsman. From what I understand that still remains in effect.

Have been out of that public sector loop for some time, but hospitals were required to allow/ recognize/ fund a patient advocate or ombudsman. From what I understand that still remains in effect.

And that means? Not trying to be funny just trying to learn. Remember your not talking to piers in hospital administration.

And that means? Not trying to be funny just trying to learn. Remember your not talking to piers in hospital administration.

Every hospital is required to have an ombudsman/advocate to represent a patient's interests, or take a patient's concerns to the appropriate management. A person who essentially knows who to go to when you have a problem that hospital staff do not want to address

Every hospital is required to have an ombudsman/advocate to represent a patient's interests, or take a patient's concerns to the appropriate management. A person who essentially knows who to go to when you have a problem that hospital staff do not want to address

Thanks, now that's information that I never knew. So Okumas pal could have asked for the patient ombudsman to intervene in this situation. As could have I for my father.

Thanks, now that's information that I never knew. So Okumas pal could have asked for the patient ombudsman to intervene in this situation. As could have I for my father.

Most hospitals are not big on letting patients know about that resource. After my heart attack, in 2000, the advocate actually stopped by my room to introduce himself at Hamilton General. Other hospitals have brochures in the patient room. Others again, you need to read a hospital directory.