opp report on ice chemong lake

jay27fish

The OPP tried to get me and friend to come off the ice last year when we were on 20" of ice on Chemong. They called 3 fire trucks to rescue us. We stayed and few angry fire fighters left the scene knowing they were called for nothing. Not sure if it's one officer or the whole detachment in that area that has a problem with ice fisherman. Most of us understand that there will always be some areas that aren't safe, but some can get carried away with the cautions. However, I haven't been out yet this year, but probably will this weekend. Most that have been fishing are saying that there is over 5" on Chemong.

They always put out the warnings of unsafe ice then post the chart showing what is safe; basically contradicting themselves at times.

Be cautious out there so you can enjoy the ice fishing season.

what does the OPP know about ice, are they actually trained on ice rescue? they seem to only call the fire fighters

I'd tend to trust the locals on ice reports more than the OPP...they also tried to convince me and a few friends the ice was unsafe, coincidentally a couple hours after somebody in a cottage yelled at us for "trespassing".....guess we ruined his private view of the public water body HA

I fished the lake Saturday there was 8 inches of clear solid ice. I am a firefighter trained as a ice water rescue tech. I'm sure the middle is around three inches but I walked out a half mile and there was 8 inches off Gifford road and its been minis 709 a few times this week

I just drove by Chemong an hour ago and saw a couple huts on the west shore below the causeway plus a couple snowmobiles so it must be somewhat safe at least those spots. Couldn't tell if the huts were portables or permanent though.

Jimmer did they drive the fire truck out on the ice to save you.

LOL, not quite. But they did come out through the cottages and yell for us to come to shore to speak with them. The trucks were at Rotary Park. I actually felt bad for the fire guys, they were being called out to assist someone and just doing their job.

The lakes here have been frozen over for almost 3 weeks. For them to say its not safe is Bull. I havent been out myself, but I know for sure its safe in most areas.

There are always the bad spots around current areas by the causeway, and the narrows, but the majority of the lake will be fine.

I love how these authorities give ice reports and dont even check the ice. No wonder half the population is scared to go on ice!!

This stuff really ticks me off!!

S.

The ice is always unsafe to the OPP & other police departments. :dunno:

As for police kicking you off the ice, if it's not private they have no legal grounds.

Usually I play nice with the OPP. They can't kick you off but they can 'find' some other way to make your day miserable. The officer told us the ice wasn't safe, then proceeded to cross it to tell us again but this time, closer to us.

I just drove by Chemong an hour ago and saw a couple huts on the west shore below the causeway plus a couple snowmobiles so it must be somewhat safe at least those spots. Couldn't tell if the huts were portables or permanent though.

I saw those huts too. I do believe they are portables. Plenty of sleds ripping the lake, I live on Chemong, it has had ice for a while, more than 3" for sure.