Opinions needed on under garments

muskymatt

Matt, it's all about layering.. Biggest thing that is going to kill you is sweat.. Get a good polypropylene base layer then go from there. I wear the same stuff under my floater suit as I do my waders. Good base and 2nd layer. I bought both at MEC. My second layer is 85% polyester.. tapered legs on the pants are great for getting into waders/floater suits without bunching up. NO COTTON!!! Same goes with your socks.

Since BU has been in the navy, much has changed! It must be said though if it works for you, don't change it!

For my personal comfort, I prefer a base layer of polyester/nylon, both long sleeve T shirts, boxers and socks. Then a polyester/merino wool layer, then polyester over that. Then a layer of Goretex to keep the wind out, whether it is raining or not. If you are wearing a floater suit, eliminate the Goretex.

I love the products that Simms, and Redington have in their line-up! Mec have some great ones as well. The pricing is similar. A good source of Simms in the Golden Horseshoe is Sail.

It is the best use of old water bottles I can think of! I have some pull-overs that I wear pretty much every day, in the house and out, that weigh as much as an empty water bottle, that are so warm it is scary!

The heavy blend of merino wool socks are paramount for warmth in breathable waders and wading boots!

To think I used to wear cotton sweat shirts that were twice as heavy, and half as warm!

You have to rethink the whole process of keeping warm in cold weather, but it really is worth the journey, and THE COST! IMO

Polyester against your skin, absorbs 0 moisture. Then an outer layer of wool, polyester blend to absorb perspiration. I work outside, fish & hunt. This method works. Cotton is rotten. As stated above cotton absorbs perspiration - you don't want that against your skin.

NAW Good on ya for buying good ole Stanfields. Made right here in Canada!! EH!

A good base layer + some wool

BillM, so you are saying no cotton at all? I see the need for the 2 layers but I thought a layer of cotton/or equivalent warm fabric was needed in there somewhere. I also see the need in the waders, thanks, good suggestion.

Nope, no cotton unless you wanna be soaking wet after about 10 mins of walking.. You want put something like a polyester blend or wool as your second layer.

I have the under armor top that is rated for the coldest/most sedate conditions. My fav part is the way the wrist fabric extends over the back of your hands and has a hole for your thumb...really helps to keep the hand warm if you have your gloves off for awhile. Over that I have a very thick polar fleece turtleneck. And over that I have a hoody. And OVER that I have my Ice Armour suit.

Most mornings I usually only have the base layer on under my ice armour for my walk out and my first bunch of holes drilled. I keep the hoody and turtleneck in a box and add them later if I get cold.

I just wear regular cotton longjohns...as I've never had a sweat/cold problem from my waist down. I have some heavy duty thick socks I got years ago. I only wear then ice fishing...they are too warm and bulky for anything else. I can't remember where I got them or what they are made of.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

It's gotta be either Woolpower or Patagonia's Capilene series for me. The Capilene comes in various weights but I really love their lighter weight long johns and tops. Only other thing I wear is a one polar fleece piece bunny suit from either Kokatat or Stohlquist, under my drysuit.

Advantages to bunny suits are no cold spot by the kidneys. Downside comes when you gotta go. and I mean you GOTTA go ;)