We'll I did it. Bought my first bait casting set up

Rich Clemens

After hearing a number of my OFC friends keep recommending to me I should be using a bait caster for musky fishing, I just purchased my first set up today. Have to wait for Christmas to play with it. Picked up an 8' St. Croix Premier MH rod and a Curado 301 E reel to go with it. Gonna have to do a bit of practicing I'm sure.

Set the VBS brakes properly and you'll never have a backlash... Once you get more familiar with it, then you can loosen the reel up a bit and really let it fly. Although with big muskie baits, you shouldn't be back lashing at all.

Edited by BillM

Exactly what Bill said and don't start with the long bomb casts right away . Start with the short casts until you get comfortable with the set up . Once you

get used to it there will be no turning back . Great set up by the way !

That's a nice reel Rich, I got one for Sheri last year and she likes it, but it's got a fairly high gear ratio that makes it a bit tougher cranking those large double bladed bucktails you like.

Just my opinion though.

That's a nice reel Rich, I got one for Sheri last year and she likes it, but it's got a fairly high gear ratio that makes it a bit tougher cranking those large double bladed bucktails you like.

Just my opinion though.

How so Lew ? Do you mean I will have to work a bit harder to burn the baits back in ? Reel a lot faster to get the speed I need ? I had the opportunity to try a couple last year and really liked the low profile reels. Edited by Rich Clemens

How so Lew ? Do you mean I will have to work a bit harder to burn the baits back in ? Reel a lot faster to get the speed I need ? I had the opportunity to try a couple last year and really liked the low profile reels.

The higher gear ratio brings the bait in faster Rich, but it also makes it tougher to crank the big blades. Lower ratio brings the bait in slower but much easier to crank. If you've got the power handle on yours, that'll help though.

The higher gear ratio brings the bait in faster Rich, but it also makes it tougher to crank the big blades. Lower ratio brings the bait in slower but much easier to crank. If you've got the power handle on yours, that'll help though.

Yes, it does have the power handle. Thanks Lew. Lots to learn with these things.

It's funny Rich, but I always just assumed you already used baitcasters, even when we fished together I didn't realize you weren't using one. Guess I should pay more attention to things LOL

Their very simple to use and you'll be happy you made the switch.

It's funny Rich, but I always just assumed you already used baitcasters, even when we fished together I didn't realize you weren't using one. Guess I should pay more attention to things LOL

Their very simple to use and you'll be happy you made the switch.

Ha ha ha. Maybe, just maybe, we are just too focused on what is in the water. I just bought one set up to see how she goes. Once I get up there, I'm sure someone will be up there to help me out a bit.

Way to go Rich I am sure you will be the master in a short time. If you have any old big diameter mono laying around go ahead and spool it up for practice casting. It is easier to control and if it lashes you can pick them out easier than braid. If you need any tips on setting up the backlash or friction nut give me a yell I can walk you thru it easily.

Art

Solid stick and combo Rich.

Surprises me how heavy that M-H rod is. I have two M-H Muskie rods purchased some time ago, one Fenwick the other Shimano and both are rated for 15-30lb, whereas your St.Croix is 30-65lb.

Given the choice I'd trade you both mine for yours. 8 foot is mint, and you'd certainly have enough stick with that too if wanting to troll skis. The Curado you can't go wrong.

One thing with St.Croix I've had trouble with is the eyelet rings falling out. Three rods now (two baitcast, one spinning) all at around a years use, all second eyelet from the top, have lost their rings. It has become a nuisance... That said, they haven't been more solidly built muskie rods. Keep an eye one those eyes for any coming loose.

How so Lew ? Do you mean I will have to work a bit harder to burn the baits back in ? Reel a lot faster to get the speed I need ? I had the opportunity to try a couple last year and really liked the low profile reels.

Sort of like gearing in anything, a lower ratio means you don't have to work as hard, top speed may suffer. I still remember fishing deep for smallies on Lake Erie with old Abu reels and like a 3:5 to 1 gear ratio, all the power you needed for just about anything, but trying to catch up to a big smallie jumping out of the deep made you look like a mad man cranking.

The early model Shimanos and later model Abus with a 4:75 or so to 1 ratio fixed that problem.

Nice combo Rich..

I remember watching Lew throw out a line by hand,and retrieve it back, hand over hand. He did miss a hit,but man the retrieve ratio was fast. :tease:

Not always necessary to spend big bucks on fish'n gear Brian :lol: