60hp tiller motors

scugpg

Likely in the spring I'm looking to upgrade from a late 90s 50hp fs tiller to a 60hp fs tiller. I have my eye on the yamaha or merc. wondering what everyone thinks of those options and hoping a few folks on here have one that could share their opinion.

am I correct to assume I'll only get a 2-3mph increase in speed jumping up 10hp? 60hp is Max hp for the boat and I currently get 32mph with the 50.

Thanks

when i had my 50hp yamaha 4 stroke, my top end was 28mph (i have a heavy boat - although a tiller).

when I upgrades to a 60hp yamaha 4 stroke my top end was increased to 30mph.

not much of a difference.

however, getting up on plane was much easier.

IF your thinking about a tiller, look at the yamaha tiller handles with the rpm up and down option with the push of a button.

you'll likely have to pay for the yamaha as the merc will likely be cheaper....

I have the Mercury 60HP 4 stroke tiller and it's been great! You don't need the power steer option on a 60. They will not go wild if you drop the stick....properly adjusted, it'll stay on course and at same speed.

oh ya, that power steering thing?

doesn't the merc have the tension adjustment?

i can take my hands of my motor, running full speed, and it doesn't all of a sudden shift to one side....that's what the tension adjustment is for....i'm sure merc has the same thing.

that is super fast roy for that hp.

i'm running a 17'4" tiller, but max I can get is 31mph.

i guess thats what you get when half your boat is covered by a casting deck, lol.

(and the driver might be slightly heavier than 175lbs :) )

dry weight mine is around 650 same as Roy's yours must be quite a bit more? the yammy tiller handle looks to be awesome with rpm control on there. do you find the motor quiet?

quieter than you'd ever need. there has been more than one occasion I tried to "start" the motor after its already running...thank goodness for the "peehole" sound hitting the water. :)

yes, my dry weight is much more than that. my tiller is a tank. i think the hull is 767lbs, but then add 3 srm29 batteries, the motor, etc, etc, etc, ....

Edited by Steve

I'm. Also in the market for a new tiller, and the yammy is my choice hands down. A little more money, but they are the best in all aspects IMO.

My hunting partner. Has a new 40 yammy on his lund, and its a sweeeeeet engine. I gotta get me one.

I'm getting 32mph with a 96 2 stroke. Mariner 40 right now.....on a wide body 16 ft starcraft....my buddies new 4 stroke can't keep up, and his boat is not quite as wide, and I would think a bit lighter too.

I don't think you'll find much top end change going up 10hp, but you will notice more bottom end for sure.

The new yammies with the electronic throttle controls are wicked quiet and sooo smooth.

S.

Friend owns a 50 Yami and i believe the removal of a washer or some other Do-Hicky turned it into a 60? Stick with the usual suspects including the E-tecs. Owned a few Mercs and only liked one of them but not enough to keep it. Sorry Roy. hehehe.

One of the downsides to 4 strokes and as far as I know, there is no documentation on this from the manufacturers is the fact that they're so quiet (at least mine is) that all you can hear is the P hitting the water. All I can say is that they should never be sold to anyone over 60.

Correct me if I'm wrong. The added weight of the 4 stroke may counteract the 10hp increase. A friend upgraded from 2 stroke to 4 stroke with the same manufacturer and identical HP output and is topping out at about 2-3 mph less than the older 2 stroke. The difference in the size and shape of the portion of engine in the water may cause a difference in hydraulic displacement effecting speed.

I personally wouldn't stress over a few MPH. A full tank, a passenger that should see Jenny Craig coupled with 2 full live wells plus a full baitwell will kill 10 HP faster than a bullet.

Roy, what did you say? I can't hear you! Speak up man, my hearing is fine, what was that?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I have a Yamaha 50 tiller and my dad has a Yamaha 60 tiller...

The extra 10hp won't give you a lot of top end... But it will improve almost every aspect of performance a bit... And the extra 10hp helps if there's a couple heavy fellas in the boat... I went from a 40hp4stroke to a 50hp4stroke and gained 4-5mph... My top speed is about 35mph in a small chop... 16 foot aluminum... Casting decks and all...

The tiller arm on the Yamaha is pimpin... Love the troll control... Trim placement... Shifter... Key placement... Everything..,

BTW to get the same features on a merc it's about a $500 tiller upgrade package... Yamaha it's standard.... So is electric trim with Yamaha...

We purchased through Clayton marine in NY state... Very positive experience...

I have the 50hp Yamaha four stroke tiller and it has the pro tiller handle which is very long as has all the controls at your fingers trim tilt speed control and the gear shift !!!!! It has the speed control with will lower the rpm 50 each time you push the button or increase it 50 so you can decrease your rpm 200 !!!!!! It's insanely quiet when it's idling all I can here is the water Comming out of the pee hole !!!! 88439F30-BA79-457A-B4BE-35450F88FEEF-669 you can see the gear shift and right below it a rocker switch !!! That's the rpm increase or decrease and the tiller handle is straight out and no bending from side to side to turn it and all the controls are right there !!!! And well it's a Yamaha. Just sayin

Correct me if I'm wrong. The added weight of the 4 stroke may counteract the 10hp increase. A friend upgraded from 2 stroke to 4 stroke with the same manufacturer and identical HP output and is topping out at about 2-3 mph less than the older 2 stroke.

My current motor is a 4 stroke. However the 60 hp is 20lbs heavier than my current 50.

Thats too bad I wont get much more top end but having efi plus all the other goodies of the new motor are intriguing. Would imagine I would get significantly better mileage with efi vs 4 carbs?

Does the yammy come with that pro tiller handle shown above?

According to Mike that's standard equipment on the Yammi, and upgrade on the Merc.

perfect. would I see decent fuel savings going from a carbed to efi model? anything you don't like about the yammy? How is the steering friction adjustment on it?

thanks