60hp tiller motors

scugpg

Friend owns a 50 Yami and i believe the removal of a washer or some other Do-Hicky turned it into a 60? Stick with the usual suspects including the E-tecs. Owned a few Mercs and only liked one of them but not enough to keep it. Sorry Roy. hehehe.

Yes, that is removing the restrictor plate on the intake.

Here's a vid on the process for those of you with Yammy 50's and want an extra 10 hp with just a few minutes work. ;)

The engine is programmed with the parameters for a 50 and to modify the airflow the engine is trying to compensate for the excess air with a program set for less air. This will affect the timing, air flow and fuel mapping any of these parameters pushed to far can ruin the engine. It might take something like a 60 min run at full throttle or it could be something a lot less extreme to ruin your engine. For the minimum gain I would not consider this to be a good path to follow

Art

I'm showing my age.. but our high school had one of the first computers in the Ottawa Valley.. a room full for MUCH less KB than that tablet you have in front of you. Our printer was amazingly slow.. and one day a friend of my older brother came in from IBM to service it. I said "Ron.. can you make this POS go any faster".. and he said sure I'll just pull out this circuit board (10" x about 20")....Store it in a safe place incase someone else comes in for service next time! Printer speed was about triple with the board removed.

This engine size issue is nothing new... even the Merc Verada 225/250/275/300's are ALL the same bore/stroke/supercharger. The horsepower is all computer voodoo for timing and fuel injection time.

Edited by irishfield

I did some reading after I found the video and there has never been an issue with any Yammy 50 that has been modified in this way.

I wonder if I can change my 115 Merc into a 150? :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Someone may be able to truthfully say be able to truthfully state that they are not aware of any issues. But to claim that "there has never been an issue with any Yammy 50 that has been modified in this way."... How could anybody know that nobody anywhere has had an issue with a motor that has been modified?

My current motor is a 4 stroke. However the 60 hp is 20lbs heavier than my current 50.

Thats too bad I wont get much more top end but having efi plus all the other goodies of the new motor are intriguing. Would imagine I would get significantly better mileage with efi vs 4 carbs?

Does the yammy come with that pro tiller handle shown above?

My 50 EFI is a fair bit worse on gas then my carbureted 40 honda was...

ok, i spoke with CO2 Inflatables (they claim to be the largest distributor of Yamaha outboards < 75hp in Ontario).

they advise they have never had an issue with removing the restrict plate.

they advised me that they keep the plate in the event a customer starts having any issues however to date, they have not had a single issue from a customer.

they asked me if I was having a problem with mine (hence my reason for call) and I said I was not.

I then asked why Yamaha would sell 60's for almost $2k more than 50's, when it is just a computer programming change and a $2 plate.

They said that is why most marina's will only buy 50's, rather than 60's.

I asked if they do that with any other model - they confirmed just the 50's.

I said I've still not had my motor take "two" turns to get started in the four years I've owned the motor....I'm still awaiting the "first" time it takes me a second time to turn the motor over.....we'll see...

They DID advise that they would not suggest making a change on a motor when the increased hp is greater (50hp to 60hp just isn't a big enough change to throw off any computer settings - I can only trust them).

Good to hear the important question is will they do the job and be able to warranty it? I know as marine engines get more and more advanced they are now approaching the state of the art that car engines are at. Something as innocent as changing the air filter to a K&N filter will show up on the computer as a yellow flag because it is operating outside of the parameters that the engines computers normal working range. It doesn't mean it will blow up in this case it means it is adjusting constantly for this new parameter. Normal calculation is that other site+FF= T is changed to AFmod+FF+T and this is calculated for all supported parameters. In some cases this is enough to confuse the system to the point where it resorts to failsafe measures thus losing gains or it can cause it to not be able to supply enough fuel which is a lean burn and you can melt a piston or worse. Don't get me wrong I have built a few motors in my time and I have destroyed a few motors in my time too. Blowing up a $ 800 dollar motor is no big deal but lunching a $8,000 + motor because I saw it on a yuTube video would be tragic. There are 100s of tricks we do to 2 stroke motors that made excellent power with a slightly elevated risk to reliability but when we asked Kawasaki and Yamaha if they would warranty our mod's the company always said no even when it was a Yamaha service Tech that applied for the Warranty.

Art

well, they did the change on day 1 of purchase.

the only reason I know the difference between the 50 and the 60 is my original motor was a 50.

my motor came with a four year warranty.

how can the shop do a change on day one that would void a warranty?

i'll see what they say.

I will bet that if your motor failed for a reason that might be traced back to this mod. they would be reaching into the box of restrictors they have and reinstall it before sending it in. I am glad the shop is taking care of you and turning a motor into a more powerful motor it has worked for you and the risk to you has been negated by the shop. If Mr.X goes into the garage and does this modification and it damages the motor and then takes it to Yamaha to get it fixed as a warranty issue he will be out of luck. What people do to get one over the big companies is not the same as being O.K. to do. Ask anybody who has played with the computer chip and items in their new truck and blown a major component if they didn't put the original chip back in and remove the modifications they did. I have seen dozens of readouts of trucks that have been "chipped" and modified that people have tried to get warranted. I am not trying to make this an issue I believe everyone has the right to make any mechanical improvements that they want as long as they realize it is their responsibility if it blows. Personally I have accepted the responsibility on some really awesome motors. I took a 60HP 650 2stroke and by remachining the heads, decking the ports, custom exhaust, fuel injected, lightened flywheel making 120 hp and racing it. We were getting 4 to 8 races out of the motors and then rebuilding them or in some cases blowing them up. In jetskiing finish in the top three and you got paid, 4th place just meant you spend a couple hundred for a really great weekend.

Best of the day to you Steve

Art

• 2 months later...

spring is almost here and I'm still thinking of upgrading my mid 90s merc 4 stroke 50 for a new yammy 60hp. I've been offered a good deal to trade the merc in.

Just wondering if it make sense to upgrade. the merc runs well just doesn't have the bells that the yammy does. 10hp wont make a big difference on my boat. efi would be much smoother than the carbbed merc. plus new motor warranty etc. other element is I will likely only use the boat 10-15 times per year.

what do you guys think?

Do you troll a lot with your main motor...?

Cause the smoothness and bells and whistles are geared towards trolling in my opinion... That's why I love my new yammy.... I troll 90% of the time...

Another thing to consider... If you can get decent money for you current motor now... Cause if it craps out... Then you lose that money... It won't be worth anything...

If you have the $$$ I'd get a new one... It's nice having a reliable newer motor on the back... That's what will get you back to shore... And someone else will enjoy what's left on your current motor....

If you feel your getting top dollar for your used motor and are thinking you want a new one.....then its a no brainer IMO. Your getting what you want X2.

The hearse doesn't stop at the bank machine on the way by. N you may go out more with family and friends since you got a new toy!