Some history findings for the MAPLE SYRUP GUYS

misfish

During my walk the last couple days,I came across something that I knew would interested the Maple boilers.

Back in the bush I came across this,,,,,,,,,

Took the shots in B&W . Just the way it would have been back then.

044_zps7ee7a4e4.jpg

048_zps8d8def91.jpg

047_zps01a05b5c.jpg

045_zpsa46a47b0.jpg

Edited by Misfish

Oh how things have changed, since the flat pans, and the cast iron frame of the evaporator. No one could make a cent rendering syrup that way anymore!

I actually think the smoke and ashes, contributed to the overall flavour, of the product. None the less, times have changed, and great photos to depict the era.

The world was Black & White back then ?? :dunno::lol:

I meant when a picture would of been taken back then.LOL

Here are the large pans.

046_zps5c102745.jpg

The areas I walked, I found those old buckets they hung on the trees,so I dont think it,s a shine maker.

This is also the second Javex bottle I have found. The first one had the cap and liquid in it. This one was half burried,thought it was an old beer bottle til I pulled it out.

Cool findings.

059_zps06547980.jpg

Those buckets would be worth keeping if they don't leak Bri....any pics of them? I use Grimm buckest and lids at home. I like to keep it old school.

S.

Shane,all the ones I found,were good 2/3rds up,the rest were ,rotten out. I,ll be back up next friday. I,ll take some more shots.

Did some research,and now I,m going to start digging deeper for the spouts.

All I could find on the Grimms

Odie & Una Grimm, last owners of the Grimm Manufacturing Company in Montreal. This is where the Grimm name for the sap shanty came from.

If anyone can find the history,I would love to read it.

Ya I seen that Dominion bought in.

Theres only Grimm on the one I found. So it,s much earlier then when they joined up. I am going to ask the owner of the property we are hunting,if I can dig deeper and find out the past there.

Thanks brudder.

Ok I see it now. So much to read up on there. But what I found,It,s in french.

No matter,it,s a cool find.

Edited by Misfish

Brings back so many wonderful memories of when I was a kid (probably when that operation was still in production). We use to go and spend our free time getting the pails of sap and carrying them over to the sleigh to dump in the tank. Hauling wood for thr fire and there was as much maple sap and suryp as we wanted to eat. (Can you say Suger high LOL)

At the end of the day the farmer would always make sure we had a good lunch; pork and beans or stew and home made bread as a reward for our days work. I don't think any of us ever expected to get money for doing it, it was just a fun way to spend the day!

Thanks for posting the pictures and bringing back the memories!