Pics of a Kawartha elk

lew

I haven't seen a rack like that since I was in the Piccadilly on Barton Street in Hamilton before it closed.

A farmer out here was raising them until someone opened the pens and they skedaddled. They didn't seem to thrive as none were sighted after the first year.

How can a few herds of Elk do as much damage to crops as the many, many flocks of Deer here in Ontario? Or maybe they do? A real question from a citiot once removed.

Can't help you with that jimmer, I'm not a hunter and don't know anything about the regs.

Been by that field a couple times in the last week though and haven't seen that big guy lately. Hopefully he's gone into hiding if there is a season for him.

Edited by lew

I haven't seen a rack like that since I was in the Piccadilly on Barton Street in Hamilton before it closed.A farmer out here was raising them until someone opened the pens and they skedaddled. They didn't seem to thrive as none were sighted after the first year.How can a few herds of Elk do as much damage to crops as the many, many flocks of Deer here in Ontario? Or maybe they do? A real question from a citiot once removed.

Might explain the one I saw in Ancaster

Thanks for sharing Lew. They will have to keep protecting them if they show themselves so easy. Do you know how many tags they give out a year for the Bancroft area?

-70 tags offered for the elk hunt with 2,727 applicants in 2012.

-$16.95 per person to apply for the draw and $51.13 to buy a tag if successful and up to 4 hunters can be in a group.

Edited by ch312

How can a few herds of Elk do as much damage to crops as the many, many flocks of Deer here in Ontario? Or maybe they do? A real question from a citiot once removed.

Going by the MNR, bull elk can weigh up to 1,100 lbs leading up to the rut (his prime weight/health for the year) and cows up to 550 lbs. In comparison a whitetail buck would be lucky to reach 300 lbs and a 150 lb doe would be a big one. Elk do more damage as they're 3 times larger and travel in larger groups than whitetail and each elk is the equivalent of 3 deer. They not only eat much more, but family that lives in the area claims many farmers are having their fences ruined by elk too.

-70 tags offered for the elk hunt with 2,727 applicants in 2012.

-$16.95 per person to apply for the draw and $51.13 to buy a tag if successful and up to 4 hunters can be in a group.

Thanks, I always wondered about the hunt and how many got to participate.

I remember seeing a show on Elk hunting and it was discovered that the guides were drugging the elk so the hunters had an easy target. Can't remember where it was though, but they got caught.

Excuse my ignorance as I'm not familiar with hunting but are you able to sell the meat or can you only use it for your own personal consumption? If you can I'm guessing the elk tags lottery would be very profitable for a hunter who wins.

You can't sell the meat. And I don't know any hunters that would ever want to.

Elk meat is amazing! Atleast the farm raised stuff I've had.

Excuse my ignorance as I'm not familiar with hunting but are you able to sell the meat or can you only use it for your own personal consumption? If you can I'm guessing the elk tags lottery would be very profitable for a hunter who wins.

its illegal to sell wild game that you have harvested. unless you can prove that it came from a farm and was provincially or federally inspected, you can't do it

was this elk in lakefield? my boss went to bancroft moose hunting and said he saw a big elk chasing cows trying to breed them

Yeah, pretty close to Lakefield and I've seen him several times now but he's always been on his best behavior around the ladies.

• 1 year later...

Just an update on this elk.

We heard today from a person who lives close to this farm that the elk attacked and killed 4 of the cows so the farmer was forced to shoot him.

Unfortunate but obviously the farmer had no choice.

Just an update on this elk.

We heard today from a person who lives close to this farm that the elk attacked and killed 4 of the cows so the farmer was forced to shoot him.

Unfortunate but obviously the farmer had no choice.

An elk attacked and killed 4 cows? Did they say when this happened?

You'd think something like this would have made the news if it were true. I'm thinking the facts got a little mixed up by the time the story reached your ears. Maybe it was during the rut when Mr. Elk was confused and ended up giving the cows heart attacks after chasing them around all day trying to breed them? ;):clapping:

an elk could easily kill a cow. A buddy of mine from Jasper has a video of one bull flipping his car!!!

S.

I'd love to see that video!

local ranchers have problems with elk and moose pushing horses and cattle off their winter hay bales...if it was a tough winter, they get pretty violent with domestic livestock and destroying fences to get to feed