Pics of a Kawartha elk

lew

nice pic. I saw it yesterday on Hwy28 as well. A bunch of cars parked on the shoulder and I realized that the elk is the reason:-)

Yeah, that'd be him, looks like he's becoming quite the tourist attraction.

Good to hear you fellas enjoyed those pictures and it really was a great experience to see that critter for the 1st time.

As for the one Matt talked about in Ottawa yesterday, this mornings news reports that he was killed by police.

Yes, sad isn't it? Too often that is the result of wild animals straying into Ottawa. Last couple of years saw several moose shot as well. Maybe they should look into tranquilizing efforts instead of killing them.

Most people see an elk profile daily.

It is an elk on the quarter

Really didn't pay attention, thought it was a moose or something.... but it is an elk on the quarter.

Again, cool sighting!

BTW, all those photos were taken off the side of the road right in the town of Banff, there's a few groups of about 5-10 that live there.

There used to be a show on TV called something like "When animals go bad" and it showed a video of a tourist in Banff walk right up to a male elk to take a close-up picture, and when he was within just a few feet the elk raised up on it's hind legs and stomped the guy to death.

I grew up an hour away from Banff, in Elk country. Elk are a bit rare to see except on the streets in Banff, lol. The common deer species out there is Mule deer. These Bull Elk and the "harems" in which they travel are incredible to see. No matter where you live or how many times you see them. I didn't know they where wild/ breeding here that's great

He's a beauty Lew! I've seen a few now, but that one has a great rack on him! I think they are the most majestic of canadas big game. Their bugle is something to hear first thing in the morning, too!! What a sound that is! Nothing like it!

S.

I grew up an hour away from Banff, in Elk country. Elk are a bit rare to see except on the streets in Banff, lol. The common deer species out there is Mule deer. These Bull Elk and the "harems" in which they travel are incredible to see. No matter where you live or how many times you see them. I didn't know they where wild/ breeding here that's great

Interesting, after seeing so many around the town I assumed they were pretty common haha

Interesting, after seeing so many around the town I assumed they were pretty common haha

Where I live and work it is world class big game hunting. I work in the bush every day and in a year I would be very lucky to see 30-40 elk. They are very elusive animals, kinda like the mountain lions.

What a great experience and pictures!

One of the few out there. They estimate there are maybe 600- 950 elk in whole province.

Too bad when people just want to kill them when there are so few.

MNR page,,,http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/FW/2ColumnSubPage/279012.html

Amazing sight of a majestic wild animal.

While the number of elk is below 1000 province wide, these animals are divided into 4-5 separate herds so they're basically bunched up in a few areas. All of the herds, except for the lake of the woods herd, have been growing every year and it looks like the reintroduction is going to be a success. Hopefully it goes as well as the turkey reintroduction did. It's hard to believe that in the late 80's there were no turkey in Ontario and in 2007 there were over 70,000 and likely closer to 100k now.

It's my understanding that the controlled hunt for elk was started in response to the many farmers who are having to deal with nuisance elk and the damage they're causing. There are only 70 tags available for the entire province each year and I'd think a 50% success rate is a conservative estimate meaning there may have been 100 elk shot by hunters in the last 3 seasons. Also, having an open season for the animal brings more publicity and money (through tags and the $15 each hunter pays just to enter the draw whether successful or not) which helps the herd as a whole.

Hunting is likely the most productive means of keep populations in check.

While the number of elk is below 1000 province wide, these animals are divided into 4-5 separate herds so they're basically bunched up in a few areas.

IThere are only 70 tags available for the entire province each year and I'd think a 50% success rate is a conservative estimate meaning there may have been 100 elk shot by hunters in the last 3 seasons. Also, having an open season for the animal brings more publicity and money (through tags and the $15 each hunter pays just to enter the draw whether successful or not) which helps the herd as a whole.

Hunting is likely the most productive means of keep populations in check.

I guess whoever gets one of these beasts will bring it to good butcher and get tons of meat.

My guess is it's good quality meat. The venison (tenderloin) would be a chunk.

Does seem very studied and controlled.

• 2 weeks later...