My son's first time hunting

kickingfrog

I had no intention of going hunting today. The forecast was rain and thundershowers and there is still lots of leaves on the tress. But after eating a late breakfast the weather looked good enough to try an outing.

My son will be 5 this winter and I didn't think he would be ready (or I wasn't) for him to go grouse hunting this fall. He's been grilling me about hunting and hunting season for the last few weeks and after much inner, and outer, deliberation it was decided that this fall would be his first trip.

On the way there the questions were flying even faster then normal, hard to believe given the Gatling gun pace that 4 year olds are capable of. Rule number one of course was gun safety and that was all my job. Rule number 2 was be quiet… He's 4…. I had my doubts.

Snacks packed, we set off on the trail.

IMAG0790_zps8f31a83c.jpg

He was great at not talking on the trail, however how someone who is less than 50lbs can make so much noise is beyond me. He did do well at picking up his feet when I told him and that would last for a bit.

We flushed a bird that we never could have seen. Short time later he was hungry so we stopped for a granola bar, an apple and some water.

I was on guard duty to make sure any grouse didn't eat his snack :whistling: .

It's been a long time since my first trip in the woods with my dad and I wondered if I had asked him to watch out for grouse that might try to steal my lunch those many seasons ago.

To make it home for dinner it was time to turn around shortly after. We hadn't gone too far back yet when I realized that I was staring right at a deer that was staring right back at me. I was sure she would be gone before I was able to get Ryan's attention but she just stood there, watching us, watching her. After a bit she went back to feeding and even came closer. I figured I could chance it so I dug out my phone and snapped some photos. Less then 20 metres.

IMAG0800_zps3177c337.jpg

IMAG0796_zps83c0e7ff.jpg

IMAG0802_zps5688ae65.jpg

We talked back and forth and the deer just kept on eating and watching us. I didn't want to leave but since the deer seemed to have no intention of leaving anytime soon it was up to me to end this close encounter, dinner would be waiting and that was all Ryan needed to hear.

The walk back was uneventful. Ryan was sleeping before we were on the graded road. One grouse flew across the road but the land was not public.

We'll be back.

The important thing Rob is that you're a good dad and your son will always remember his first outing with his Dad. Good on ya. Lotsa dads don't even get the chance of being that close with their youngsters. Thanks for the report.

That's the closest, longest I've been to a deer myself. He'll expect me to now track one down every time in the bush.

If you ever get over to the eastern Kawarthas through the winter Rob, stop in here as I've got lots of deer in my yard every day.

Cnv0500.jpg

Good stuff Rob! Kids don't ever forget those days! I know I never have, and my son doesn't either! Its always worth the time to take a walk in the woods with the young lad. There is always something to see. Most people just don't notice it!

S.

Awesome Rob. You said in a recent post that there were many, many similarities between our boys. I could only laugh when you said that he has been bugging you relentlessly to go hunting, Jack is the same, only problem is dad needs to get his act together and get his gun license and courses etc....not even se what they are called.

And those are the best hunting boots EVER!.

Great post, great kid, great dad.

Great stuff man. I finally got my act together and will be writing the test for the Ontario hunter card. My kids have a blast every time we go hunting in NFLD with their Pop when we take fall vacations. They love fishing even more than I do which is a blessing. Easier to get out more when I take a couple kids. My 6 and 4 year old boys are self sufficient in fishing now and my 3 year old just needs me to bait the hook and cast for him. My 1 year old daughter loves the boat and likes to play with the fish so I assume she'll be out with us on those 5am trips in the next few years. Now to get my hunting license and take them out would be a real treat. Keep him out there and keep it up. He will grow up to be a great hunter and even a better person due to an upbringing like this.

Cheers

Great post and like the others have said, he'll remember these times for the rest of his life.

Brought back memories of my dad taking me out rabbit & pheasant hunting; the first few years I was to little too shoot the shotgun; but I got to fetch and carry our prey.

Hum come to think of it, maybe Dad was to cheap to get a dog??? LOL

Dan.