Smashing some smallies

The original plan was to go out to the Tweed/Bancroft area for a few days with another member, but he got called into work last minute and had to cancel. The problem with that is that I hadn't booked anything, I was free to go wherever I wanted, so I started scouring maps (it's an addiction). Too much freedom can definitely be a bad thing, took me nearly 4 days (the last days we had leading up) to decide between Algonquin, Tweed, Kawarthas, Georgian bay, Erie, Huntsville, Simcoe, Trent, BOQ, Muskoka, you get the idea.

I finally decided on Massassauga, it had been on my to-do list for a couple years now and this would be the perfect time to at last try it. My dad's back wasn't in great shape at the time and neither was my arm so we decided to skip the canoe and go with a small boat rental. Because we had the boat we didn't hold back when packing, I think we brought 4 or 5 duffle bags, a cooler and a giant camera bag, as well as the usual sleeping bags, mats, fishing gear, and clothes.

Here's the view going out from the marina.

IMG_1038_zps9254d067.jpg

The run to our campsite.

IMG_1040_zps25f925a9.jpg

Arrived at the site, set up the tent, gathered some wood and set off to finally fish some of this water!

The first small fish of the trip, on a 7" senko.

IMG_1041_zps8149ffa1.jpg

We were on fish right away, but nothing of any real size with the biggest probably at a couple pounds. After a good couple hours I did finally land a fish on my skitter walk, which I had been getting a lot of hits on, just not hooking up, my guess is 16-17".

IMG_1692_zps86d02f0b.jpg

My dad really out fished me the first night, but nothing very big was landed, despite having some giants on.

Camp sweet camp...

IMG_1042_zpse27af566.jpg

Getting the morning fire going to cook some eggs and bacon.

IMG_1048_zps65de0c63.jpg

The next morning my dad got on the board quickly, with a fat little guy.

IMG_1049_zps28abde9f.jpg

And then again.

IMG_1050_zps60162f06.jpg

Then it was my chance to show that I could still catch fish! With the biggest fish of the trip at a hair over 20", a PB for me.

_DSC0511_zps8f6ef2c9.jpg

_DSC0512_zpsdc91b74c.jpg

Got a bunch more smaller guys at that spot, even had a few chasing the ones I was reeling in!

_DSC0516_zps96927c80.jpg

A litttle shore lunch.

IMG_1051_zps5c90856d.jpgWith the camp site packed up we hit the water again, this time a little closer to the marina, and it payed off big time...

This fish could have been the big fish's twin, just a quarter inch shorter.

_DSC0535_zps1d5db6d4.jpg

Then hit another at 19"

_DSC0538_zps9c30bd8d.jpg

And one more little guy to cap off a great trip

_DSC0540_zps3c89b9ff.jpg

A trip to remember for sure, we will definitely be back either early next year for pike or around this time for more smallies. If anyone is looking to rent a boat in the area we got ours from Moon Basin Marina, it's about a 15 minute run from Pete's place access point.

Thanks for reading!

-Chris

Edited by Christopher k

• 1 year later...
Sweet post!

I read the story about your camping trip with your pops to the Massassauga PP, Christopher I'm really interested as I'd like to organize a trip with my dad as well, and the spot and driving distance seem perfect.

I was wondering which marina you guys launched from and what site you guys booked? I've never fished in the Park before but have heard nothing but great things about it. It's just a little intimidating to book something with no idea what awaits when you finally show up...We did Spider Lake at Oastler Park about 4 years ago and while the lake was beautiful, they didn't allow motorboats and three days in the canoe for minimal fish isn't something we're looking to try again...

Cheers!

Cheers,

Yan

The moon is an incredible mulispecies fishery. these pics were from near moon basin a few years ago. Lots of scrappy catfish and i've seen some huge gar and esox there... Can you guys enlighten me I thought smallies were off limits till the end of june in both zones 14 and 15?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg