Hockey thread 2013 2014 season

muskymatt

It's been a while since I've been on the board. I've been all over the north of the province in the past two weeks. Red Lake, Terrace Bay, Dryden, and then some. Fortunately I've only had to drive past two highway deaths on this highway to hell in that time. The last one was yesterday morning when a 24 year old kid was killed out outside of Dryden. I saw the rig piled into a rock cut, but there was no sign of the car that the kid was in. Anyways, on to my Leafs thoughts.

#1. Carlyle has to go. There's no reason that this club should be this bad defensively. Carlyle has done nothing to improve this. And yes, the talent is there.

#2. The Leafs are a young talented team that are a few years away from reaching their prime. They are one of the youngest teams in the league and I think that they have a bunch of key players that will be reaching their prime at the same/right time.

#3. Players being thrown under the bus by either Carlyle or Leafs fans. Reimer comes to mind first. Carlyle has completyely destroyed Reimer. Carlyle has a habit of dislikng a player and putting that before the team. If Reimer had lost tonights game, for example, Carlyle would have blamed him. Apparently it's ok when Bernier lets in a floater from the blue line. Bottom line here is that yes, Bernier should be the starter, but it would be nice to have a backup whose confidence wasn't destroyed by the coach. Second on my list is Dion being bashed by the fans. What more do you want from him? I'm sure that I don't have to mention that he is amongst the teams plus minus leaders while playing the most minutes per game against the leagues best lines. Yes he's no Drew Doughty, Shea Weber or Erik Karlson (sp), But the Leafs would be a lesser team without him.

Bottom line is that no team can be the best forever. It looks to me like both Pittsburgh and |Chicago are showing signs of fading. And I think that the Leafs are going in the other direction. But yes. Carlyle has to go.

Good article on hitting in Hockey in today's Toronto Star.

Hope this link works:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2014/03/27/department_of_hockey_analytics_more_hits_equals_more_wins.html#

Maybe mandatory reading for the Laffs.

I have been saying this all year..Even Team Canada traded the physical contact for boring lame ass hockey. Dion Phaneuf is an amazing hockey player when he does 2 things, Hits hard and his shot from the point..He quit hitting and wont shoot anymore. We lost Leo Komorav and signed Clarkson..Sigh..

No matter where Davd Clarkson s right now, I'm sure he just went off side and fell down...

I find it disappointing with the teams effort as of late but I don't let it get to me. It is what it is..Playoffs or not im a Leaf fan and always will be.Proud to be a leaf fan and bleed blue. But phlease dump Orr and roll 4 lines.. Leafs recalled D'imagio (sp) lets hope for some extra spark and we get a win tonight to right this ship..Were still in it..GO LEAFS GO!!!!

Like I've said before, I wish we had the team we did last year in the playoffs. Hard hitting, pressuring the D in their own zone, etc etc. They played about a period and a half like this against Philly lastnight and look what happens.. More time in the Philly zone then their own!

Also Bodie needs to be moved up from the 3rd line and played with Lups on #2.

Edited by BillM

You're right about Phaneuf. He doesn't handle the spotlight very well. I think removing the 'C" would help him. He doesn't need the added pressure and right now he's playing like he is carrying the team on his back. The captainsy is the only think remaining from the Ron Wilson era.

The linesmen certainly became the feature act last night. Watch for Don Cherry to go nuts tonight!