If we cant fish them,why are we

misfish

Stocking them??????

004_zps8d00fabd.jpg

Dont get me wrong here.

Im looking for info that will explain WHY?

I have heard stories of anglers wadding in the notty and getting their legs bumped and bruised from these guys. I believe they are so cool,but like said,WHY? Cant fish for them,they are protected. Guess maybe like the Doves were protected for so many years ,they now are open to hunt once again,since they have rebounded so well. :dunno:

BTW,Doves taste great. Just like Quail. :canadian:

They are ''Protected" You can catch them, But you can not keep them!

There isn't enough of them for everyone to take them home!

Let them swim, spawn maybe in the future you can keep them, until than take a pic an leave them alone!!

flip

So they can spend money on stocking,but cant hire people,MNR OFFICERS, ? Thats just Bull crap.
Funny how things work these days.
Who will be there to make sure they are not taken,when so many cuts to the MNR are being done?

We use to catch sturgeon in the French River all the time when I was in my 20s. We never kept any and I don't know anyone that did so why do they have to stock them now? Is the environment not a good one for them?

Oh, and I agree, the money would be better spent on stocking other species or protecting the fisheries that do exist.

They are ''Protected" You can catch them, But you can not keep them!

There isn't enough of them for everyone to take them home!

Let them swim, spawn maybe in the future you can keep them, until than take a pic an leave them alone!!

flip

You cannot target sturgeon in southern Ontario. If you're actually fishing for them, you're breaking the law.

From my understanding, the lake sturgeon was once super plentiful throughout the great-lakes. They were by-catch for commercial fishermen and their nets would often be destroyed while trying to get them out – They were slaughtered and left to rot on shore. Once commercial fishermen realized that caviar was popular, numbers further plummeted. Dams blocking migration routes up river and environmental degradation have also taken their toll on sturgeon numbers everywhere. It takes many years for sturgeon to reach sexual maturity. Stocking sturgeon makes absolute sense to me. It would be my first species of choice as something to stock our waters with in this day and age (despite not being able to fish for them).

I literally have sturgeon in mass quantities 100 yards from my house. The numbers here are staggering. I never have targeted them, but I've watched a lot of people do it. And the MNR is present. They don't seem to care as long as its catch and release. Then again, I'm on the us border, and maybe it legal for them? In 5 years, I've caught two incidental sturgeon, and I must say the fight is like no other. One was about ten lbs ice fishing, the other was 80-100lbs, that I had to walk into the water to release. I wish I coulda took pics, but by the book, that's illegal

My question is WHY?

Moneys spent on a fish we cant fish for or take for consumption.

What the reason behind this?

Because older generations have abused a species yet again. Native species deserve to be here. It's the Ministry of Natural Resources job to do there best to keep our lakes, fish, animals well here for us to target, catch or release, hunt and well enjoy. I see no problem in seeing species come back to "normal" levels....money spent on trucks, gas, parties, or pretty signs, is a waste...creating new life for a particular fish and well years of enjoyment for future anglers is great. Maybe our kids will be able to enjoy a productive Sturgeon fishery one day in the mix of great bass, pike, walleye and all the other game fish we have these days. Atlantic Salmon is another that yes people are catching on Lake Ontario. Something 10 years ago may of been impossible to see. Money is money and it's going to be spent. It's a thing with no meaning. Spend it make the world better. A fish is a fish, the more out there the better ;)

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

I literally have sturgeon in mass quantities 100 yards from my house. The numbers here are staggering. I never have targeted them, but I've watched a lot of people do it. And the MNR is present. They don't seem to care as long as its catch and release. Then again, I'm on the us border, and maybe it legal for them? In 5 years, I've caught two incidental sturgeon, and I must say the fight is like no other. One was about ten lbs ice fishing, the other was 80-100lbs, that I had to walk into the water to release. I wish I coulda took pics, but by the book, that's illegal

I've seen them in the river right from the paper mill. Awesome sight. I also remember going to a bar in International Falls that had dozens and dozens of photos on the wall of guys holding massive Sturgeon. Sportsmans bar maybe? There's a river a few hundred yards from my house that has a good population of Sturgeon as well, but I've never targeted them there, even before the regs changed. The only one I've ever caught was in the Winisk River, which flows into Hudson Bay. I remember seeing dozens of them in a single pool up there. Some of them were almost a foot across the back and 6 or 7 feet long. An incredible sight.

Very short sighted opinion IMHO. Fish have a value outside of whether or not you can angle for them. They are part of a ecological chain that has existed for millions of years until we showed up and decimated their population with harvest and environmental degradation. You can't shoot peregrine falcons yet they "waste" money reintroducing them to downtown Toronto. Fisherman despite this boards egocentric opinion are not the only users of the environment. Knowing that sturgeon are there and part of a healthy balanced biology is all I need.

Very short sighted opinion IMHO. Fish have a value outside of whether or not you can angle for them. They are part of a ecological chain that has existed for millions of years until we showed up and decimated their population with harvest and environmental degradation. You can't shoot peregrine falcons yet they "waste" money reintroducing them to downtown Toronto. Fisherman despite this boards egocentric opinion are not the only users of the environment. Knowing that sturgeon are there and part of a healthy balanced biology is all I need.

:good:

Well said Brad. We, as fishermen have to think outside of the box once in a while.

I've seen them in the river right from the paper mill. Awesome sight. I also remember going to a bar in International Falls that had dozens and dozens of photos on the wall of guys holding massive Sturgeon. Sportsmans bar maybe? There's a river a few hundred yards from my house that has a good population of Sturgeon as well, but I've never targeted them there, even before the regs changed. The only one I've ever caught was in the Winisk River, which flows into Hudson Bay. I remember seeing dozens of them in a single pool up there. Some of them were almost a foot across the back and 6 or 7 feet long. An incredible sight.

yep that's sportsman. There is also a tackle shop in Nestor falls that's had a lot of photos taken right by my house, lots of 7-8 footers. Next time your around fort Frances hit me up for some fishing. We can hit rainy lake or rainy river, or any of the crazy good lakes up cedar narrows on the 502

yep that's sportsman. There is also a tackle shop in Nestor falls that's had a lot of photos taken right by my house, lots of 7-8 footers. Next time your around fort Frances hit me up for some fishing. We can hit rainy lake or rainy river, or any of the crazy good lakes up cedar narrows on the 502

Done deal Bud. The company that I work for has had jobs in the Fort, but I've been working elsewhere.

I was reading down through this thread, hoping to see someone provide this response, and finally I did. Thanks Musky. I couldn't agree more. IMO, it's an odd attitude for people to have, thinking that if they can't use something, or that that "something" doesn't provide a direct benefit to them, then it's not of value.

The place and purpose of any species on this planet, whether it's fish, plant, or animal, has so many more far-reaching and multi-faceted values than just whether it can tug on someone's line or wind up as someone's dinner, and it's a shame that so many are blind to that. It's that attitude that is a root cause of widespread habitat and species loss worldwide, whether it's Toronto and other urban centres chewing up thousands of acres of farmland to urban sprawl every year, or slashing and burning Brazilian rainforest to pump out beef for the McDonald's machine. If people fail to see the inherent value in the sheer existence of natural, wild ecosystems and the creatures that inhabit them, and they only see what can be provided directly to them for their benefit, then no wonder species decline and habitat loss are no big deal to most of the world's population, right? Big deal - it's just a swamp. Big deal - it's just some trees. Big deal, it's just some fish that I can't catch.

The restoration, conservation, and protection of all organisms, for the plain purpose of ensuring their continued survival in this world, to continue providing all of the ecological and intangible roles and values they serve is something we should all strive to support. And yes - this is coming from someone who ate a 17" smallmouth bass for dinner tonight, caught by me fresh this afternoon.

As John Muir wrote .... "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe."

This quote has often been incorrectly misquoted as the following more commonly referenced statement: "When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world."

I actually find the latter usually resonates better with most people.