Stocking lake Simcoe with Landlock Salmon ?

misfish

With the new testing of bringing the musky back to Simcoe and not really hearing or reading anything saying they are making it,I was wondering if landlocks would be a better choice. The lake has enough bait fish and hearing imo to support them.

I think it would be a great addition to the lake. Both soft and hard water seasons. Seems they are very sustianable.

I was reading a bit on this and came across this interesting read..

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/species/identification/landlockedsalmon.htm

Your thoughts on this?

Edited by Misfish

This is the problem I believe. Most of Simcoe's creeks and tribs are hardly prime salmon run material. I believe the beaver would support a good run.

Also in retrospect, didn't the government scrap their chinook stocks and randomly switch to atlantics a few years back?

Edited by Rich

Rainbows would work for sure,as they are] in the lake already,just not in big numbers and the tribs on Simcoe could handle them. Theres an artical I read in the Canadian mag about improving the tribes for brook trout,which use to be a big thing back 40 years ago.

Edited by Misfish

This is the problem I believe. Most of Simcoe's creeks and tribs are hardly prime salmon run material. I believe the beaver would support a good run.

Also in retrospect, didn't the government scrap their chinook stocks and randomly switch to atlantics a few years back?

No, Chinook stocking has remained steady at about ~540,000 fish per year in the Canadian side of Lake Ontario. Georgian bay is stocked as well. Metro East Anglers took over the rearing of Chinook for Lake Ontario for five years; but the MNR is raising them again. The Atlantic (which is what the 'land locked' salmon are) program has not have any effect on the Chinook stocking so far.

A buddy,Tounament fisher,Last Sunday had a 4'plus muskie figure 8 him for a minute or so and just turned down.He has had several over the last 5 years grab or circle his figure 8.There are some veterans still in there and they do come around every now and than."told me his secret lol"The last few years of stocking,I believe can't be bad.Any additional stocking won't hurt as well!! All for it!!

Edited by davey buoy

Atlantics were never native to Simcoe. Same with Chinooks and Coho's. The Ministry is a about rehabilitating existing or former existing fisheries not about experimenting.Those days are long over. I think the last time the minstry introduced an exotic species to an Ontario body of water was the Conestoga River with brown trout. But someone can chime in if I'm wrong. As was mentioned Rainbows,Walleye, and Musky already exist in Simcoe so you have to ask why hasn't the fishery taken off. In all cases its because the habitat isn't suitable or degraded to the point where succesful spawning and recruitment is impossible.In these times of austerity spending money on stocking is not a reality Let's spend our dollars on protection and rehabing of the existing fisheries-Conservation officers and spawning habitat improvement.

MuskyorSpecs is correct - MNR won't even think about stocking non-native species in Lake Simcoe. It's fun to fantasize about what could be, but no new species introductions will happen until there is a substantial shift in government policy. In other words, not in our lifetimes.

If we were to add any new species to Simcoe, my personal vote would be striped bass. I've fished for them in a lot of US lakes that are very similar to Simcoe (i.e. big, deep, cold, and great smallmouth fisheries). Stripers would be awesome - imagine 10 to 15 pound fish that are dumb as a bag of rocks, travel in large schools, and eat buzzbaits and Zara Spooks like crazy.

I guess I'll have to keep driving down to Tennessee and Kentucky to get my striper fix. Oh well. It sure beats ice fishing!

M

If we were to add any new species to Simcoe, my personal vote would be striped bass. I've fished for them in a lot of US lakes that are very similar to Simcoe (i.e. big, deep, cold, and great smallmouth fisheries). Stripers would be awesome - imagine 10 to 15 pound fish that are dumb as a bag of rocks, travel in large schools, and eat buzzbaits and Zara Spooks like crazy.

so how many trips would we have to do bringing stripers up from the US in our livewells

yeah I know we can transfer fish in livewells

we need a tanker truck

lol

Atlantics were never native to Simcoe. Same with Chinooks and Coho's. The Ministry is a about rehabilitating existing or former existing fisheries not about experimenting.Those days are long over. I think the last time the minstry introduced an exotic species to an Ontario body of water was the Conestoga River with brown trout. But someone can chime in if I'm wrong. As was mentioned Rainbows,Walleye, and Musky already exist in Simcoe so you have to ask why hasn't the fishery taken off. In all cases its because the habitat isn't suitable or degraded to the point where succesful spawning and recruitment is impossible.In these times of austerity spending money on stocking is not a reality Let's spend our dollars on protection and rehabing of the existing fisheries-Conservation officers and spawning habitat improvement.

Best reply yet.