boat launches

jbailey

What is the most you've ever paid to launch? What do you think is a reasonable price?

The reason I ask is I used to have a cottage near parry sound, but we had sold it a number of years back.. I had been returning almost every year as I love the lake and fishing. Two summers ago the marina was sold to another couple. The original owners only charged $12 to launch and park. The launch is just a slope of gravel into the lake (not paved) and is completely uneven (makes it hard to get the boat back on the trailer properly), and if you have a boat larger than 16ft well good luck... Anyway the new owners charged us $30 last summer to launch and park which I thought was a little expensive considering they've done absolutely nothing for the launch, but hey I paid it and kept a smile on my face because I love the lake. I was recently there and they charged $45... $15 in $15 out, $10 to park the truck and $5 for the trailer. I am very bitter as I grew up fishing this lake but will not return now. At first I was very skeptical that it was only us she was attempting to charge such an outrageous price (in my opinion) but apparently its not. Am I wrong to be a little bitter? i understand they own the marina and they can charge whatever they want, but isn't that a little high..? If it was well maintained and it was a nice marina that sold ANYTHING i wouldn't feel so bad about it, but this place doesn't even have washrooms..

Sorry for the rant.. just looking for a little feed back and wondering if anyone has experienced something like this..

Edited by JBailey

Holy crap, who do they think they are?!

Man, I'm mad and I don't even fish there.

Price gouging has just gotten way out of hand.

I don't like using my big boat for this reason. All the money on gas and upkeep and I gotta pay more to put it in the water than my inflatable boat. 100% more actually.

Let's all send them letters.

I don't blame you one bit for the rant! $45 is wayyy too steep! I've launched at marinas with nice concrete launches where the staff actually helps you for as low as $10 to launch in and out and to park. I've never paid more than $15. Charging $45 seem like they are trying to discourage it

I don't like paying for any launch. The crappy gravel launches, with no maintenance, no dock, and no garbage can are the ones I like.

I don't mind paying if its a well maintained launch with some facilities. Even a garbage can and a crappy dock with a decent concrete ramp is worth $10, but I will drive way out of my way to find a free one, just out of spite!

S.

They're just trying to make an extra buck like everyone else but sounds like they crossed the line lol. I'd kindly bring it up with them and explain that you will not be returning unless they price their services fairly and that "others you have spoken too feel the same way". Hopefully they get the picture. You should definitely let them know. Are they the only launch in the area?

that is nuts. Most I ever paid was $25...and I never went there again. 45 is a crime and they will see their day business disappear...perhaps they want this? Are they the only launch on the lake? Maybe they are trying to discourage day use so that the people who drop the big $ on cottage rentals etc have a more enjoyable atmosphere....not so many boats and fisherman buzzing around.

Its already a quiet lake, you may see at most 5 boats in an entire day out there, its a decent size lake with very little cottages in comparison to most lakes in the area. I did bring it up and she said "Well the pickerel are biting in *** lake, and its a free launch" with so much attitude I almost lost it. The funny part is the launch on the other lake is well maintained, concrete and almost large enough for 2 boats to launch at the same time.. (i'll probably be going there from now on..)

I am very bitter about the whole thing. There is another launch but its on a connecting lake and its in horrible shape but its free, the catch is there is no where to park legally.

I was thinking they may have been doing it to discourage others from coming but they are attempting to run the marina like a resort, they rent out i think 4 cottages and they have a small 10-15 trailer trailer park..

I want the old owners back, they were such nice people, sometimes he wouldn't even charge me to launch just to park.

Edited by JBailey

That is crazy. i'm glad you told her you didn't like the price. Too often we just bite our tongue and pay. I hope they start to lose more customers because of this. Marina's aren't cheap to buy, and if no one shows up they won't be paying the bills for long.

I think $15 seems to be the going rate at most places; I don't think that I have ever paid much more than that; $45 is outrageous.

I can usually find free launches.

I think Bluffers is $15 they have two concrete launches each wide enough to launch two boats side by side; plenty of parking and docks.

Edited by JohnBacon

Don't pay any more than $10.00, if you do ask for a receipt. I wrote a letter to OFAH about boat launch gouging to go after these people that control you to fish their lake, as they call it. These are our waters. These people go out of their way to close free ramps just to make you pay. There should be a law gouging you to fish public water.

OH", and OFAH didn't even reply, so goodbye OFAH, all they want is to sell insurance now.

Anyway the new owners charged us $30 last summer to launch and park which I thought was a little expensive considering they've done absolutely nothing for the launch, but hey I paid it and kept a smile on my face because I love the lake. I was recently there and they charged $45... $15 in $15 out, $10 to park the truck and $5 for the trailer.

Sounds like the new couple retired from the CRA and decided to go run a resort. :sarcasm:

Don't pay any more than $10.00, if you do ask for a receipt. I wrote a letter to OFAH about boat launch gouging to go after these people that control you to fish their lake, as they call it. These are our waters. These people go out of their way to close free ramps just to make you pay. There should be a law gouging you to fish public water.

OH", and OFAH didn't even reply, so goodbye OFAH, all they want is to sell insurance now.

So the OFAH didn't "go after these people" and tell them how to run their private businesses, right or wrong, and so..."goodbye OFAH"! :dunno: Haha Oh boy that's classic.

$45 is definitely outta line, specially for a poor ramp, and personally I don't think I've ever payed more than $20.

Thing that always bugs me though is guys who go to well established marinas with excellent ramps, great docks to tie up to, gas pumps, washrooms and whatever else, and still complain that $10 or $15 is too much.

I swear some guys would complain about paying $2

Is this a small lake? I'm wondering if they're in cahoots with the cottage owners to try to make it a 'de facto' private lake by discouraging anyone else from getting on the water.

Its a decent size, maybe 4km long, and it connects to 2 smaller lakes.

Great ramp, good parking $20 is fine with me. Anymore then that forget it. What kills me is the separate in/out/parking fees..

Yea, that kills me as well because it sounds like they are trying to justify what they are charging in their own mind.. so frustrating.

When they raised it to $30 I would have said see ya!!!

Anything more than $15 for launch and park is too much. IMHO

Most of the lakes I launch on here are FREE!!!!

The ones you have to pay for are in Territorial parks and are cheap.

The one lake I fish where I launch and park inside the park is $30

FOR THE SEASON!!!!!!!!

May to September

The rest of the year is free. :D

Double concrete ramp with large docks and plenty of parking. :good::good:

Wow.. That's brutal.

Who knows the entire story though.. They may be about to go teats up.. Grabbing a straws to pay the bills..?

How much is a parking ticket? Not Likely more than $45....