Think it's Worth a Complaint?

Rich

I bought a Sea Eagle inflatable boat last summer. Used it pretty darn near daily til october, and pulled it out this spring again around late April.

It worked fine, was quite tough the first season.

This season, it's falling apart. It started with an inexplicable pinhole leak in the outer chamber, I patched it. It was good for 2 weeks. Then the seam split while inflating (NOT over-inflating either) on the outer chamber. I patched it as best I could. But the seam is now splitting further every trip, and requiring copious patching. This boat is supposed to be rated for 'class 3 rapids' so I feel this is a pretty serious problem to have happen.

Think it would be worth a complaint to the manufacturer? I bought it brand new, direct from sea eagle last June.

Of course it is worth contacting the manufacturer. What's the harm in contacting them about the problems you're having with their product? Especially one that isn't that old. Worst case, they say "tough luck", best case is a new boat.

Last resort is print out this thread and send it to them. It'll give them a chance to make good and the good will will be worth their while with the number of people in this community.

I will update progress! Offices were closed , emailed, if no reply by noon I call again tomorrow. Haha

Thank you, community, for your advice!

Edited by Rich

I am sure a company like Seaeagle will do the right thing. They may request it be returned to see what happened so they can improve or correct an issue they were not aware of in their product.

Art

I am sure a company like Seaeagle will do the right thing. They may request it be returned to see what happened so they can improve or correct an issue they were not aware of in their product.

Art

You're bang on. Just got the email back. I don't have to send it back, by the sound of it, but yep.. sounds like they'll replace and inspect.

Rich I have a 13 foot Sea Eagle 2 I got from my Uncle about 5 years ago. He had it for at least 15 years. When I received it the thing was mint. I made one mistake, I deflated it one winter. Now it's not mint. But those things are for putting around from the dock to the yacht or weekend put puts. He babied the thing, he had it hanging in his shop and checked the pontoon pressures every week with that sizing gauge on the pontoons, I don't know if they still use that system.

It must be cleaned very carefully. I can't remember exactly how but there is a list of products that are a no no. He cleaned it with mild soap and water every time it came out of the water, never power washed it like I did apparently not a good thing as it can separate the seams.. Never beached it, sand and pebbles apparently is like rubbing sandpaper on a Sea Eagle. Also the weight maximums was for 350 pounds or so, I know we maxed out at over 400 easily. He would ask you how much you weighed and if the weight was over no ride in the PT109 He was anal with the thing and it's condition showed it.

Knowing how you pound the water daily you have probably 10 years on it in dog years. The list of don'ts is a long one.

Talk to them but I wouldn't tell them it was a daily driver. They just aren't meant to be used daily for hard fishing. It's not a Zodiac.

Good luck.

Okay, an update. After sending pics they asked my buying info, i told them I bought direct, they had no file of my ordering from them . Was getting very frustrated, so checked back credit card statements and I got it from Cabelas last year (doy) on july 27th.

So I have forwarded them a pic of the credit card statement, unfortunately it does not detail what I bought from Cabelas.. just that I plopped 800 bucks in one shot. So we'll just have to hope it's good enough.

Moral: save your damn receipts, rich!!!!!

Rich I have a 13 foot Sea Eagle 2 I got from my Uncle about 5 years ago. He had it for at least 15 years. When I received it the thing was mint. I made one mistake, I deflated it one winter. Now it's not mint. But those things are for putting around from the dock to the yacht or weekend put puts. He babied the thing, he had it hanging in his shop and checked the pontoon pressures every week with that sizing gauge on the pontoons, I don't know if they still use that system.

It must be cleaned very carefully. I can't remember exactly how but there is a list of products that are a no no. He cleaned it with mild soap and water every time it came out of the water, never power washed it like I did apparently not a good thing as it can separate the seams.. Never beached it, sand and pebbles apparently is like rubbing sandpaper on a Sea Eagle. Also the weight maximums was for 350 pounds or so, I know we maxed out at over 400 easily. He would ask you how much you weighed and if the weight was over no ride in the PT109 He was anal with the thing and it's condition showed it.

Knowing how you pound the water daily you have probably 10 years on it in dog years. The list of don'ts is a long one.

Talk to them but I wouldn't tell them it was a daily driver. They just aren't meant to be used daily for hard fishing. It's not a Zodiac.

Good luck.

Well, this may be true. But if so they should not label the boat with a name like "fisherman's dream boat kit" if it's really made for play and occasional worm dunking.

Final update: Sea Eagle is replacing the hull, no charge.

Thanks all for the awesome advice, namely looking up the proof of purchase. I simply logged into Cabelas and hit print screen on the order confirmation page.

Final update: Sea Eagle is replacing the hull, no charge.

Thanks all for the awesome advice, namely looking up the proof of purchase. I simply logged into Cabelas and hit print screen on the order confirmation page.

Great job... This is what all companies should do .... stand behind their products.