Trailer loading guides for your boat NF

davey buoy

I really do need to install a pair of these for my trailer. The boat is almost 19' and you could imagine how far in the water I need to be to get it on easily. Usually past my waist to try and get it alighned properly. It is a easy load trailer with square 4" tubing I believe. I do have access to my welder ,metal, and would like to know what you guys did to make it somewhat adjustible or did you just buy them and installed yourself?. Looking for a simple but effective way to do this. Thanks.

I made my own as well. I have 5 footers. Not only for low water lakes but also for steep ramps and windy days...also river with current hitting you broadside.

I guess I'll figure something out Roy. I sure need to do something.

I bought mine http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-HeavyDuty-Post-Style-Boat-GuideOns/product/10208433/ from BPS on sale.

Easy to install and adjust, price was good as wel

Thanks Cosmos for the link,the price is good,but may try and make something myself first.

I made my own Dave. Once I had the angle and height,I drilleds and mounted them to the trailer. Easy peezy. Sure made for easy loading on those low water lakes.

B, I don't really want to drill,but could,kinda want to have a somewhat adjustible slide through the 4" tubing.Sure would make it a lot easier to install.

I also made my own, Princess Auto has rubber rollers, 9 inch or 12 inch long so you can stack them in height. They take either a 1/2 or 5/8 shaft or rod. I used 1/8th 1 x 2 inch tubing, made the angle to match the boat hull. I'll see if I can grab a couple photos for ya.

I also made my own, Princess Auto has rubber rollers, 9 inch or 12 inch long so you can stack them in height. They take either a 1/2 or 5/8 shaft or rod. I used 1/8th 1 x 2 inch tubing, made the angle to match the boat hull. I'll see if I can grab a couple photos for ya.

Would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Most places I launch parking is a ways away, So someone is usually holding it in place than when I get my turn to back in it's push it out,than hopefully pull it centred between the fenders. This is a 50/50 chance at best. This is where I really get wet if it doesn't go well.. lolol

I like all the above, pro shop looks good, like mentioned I had some round steel fence posts left over, took the to Midas and they used the tail pipe bender to get the shape I needed, then weled them to a steel plate, then attached the rig to the trailer with 2 bolts and wing nuts, I take them off the trailer while transporting the boat,

Lets try the photos: Photo 1, held onto the frame by 2x3" "U" bolts, yours will be bigger. Photo 2, mine are the 2 x 9" rollers with 1/2" rod, there are press fit washers top and bottom so the rod can't come out. The rubber rollers actually roll so there's no scrapping the boat. I would guess yours may have to be double height..bigger boat. Have mig welder, make projects. Any questions, let me know, cheers. 2013_0423_181959AA.jpg2013_0423_181944AA.jpg

Some heavy plate... a couple bends.. a piece of angle welded across the top.. 2 feet of pressure treated wood wrapped in carpet.. 2 lag bolts and 2 U bolts to fit the frame. Don't even want to know what that cost me when ordering the boat.

If I can hit that with a 22 foot Baron and not move it, you don't need anymore than that.

Edited by irishfield

Have u tried not putting the trailer so deep and using the WINCH that is installed?

Biggest problem I see at boat launches is guys backing their boat trailers in waaaaaay to far.

Just sayin....

I've never needed the guides, and 99% of boat trailers out there don't either. You just have to find the sweet spot when putting the trailer in the water.

S.

Some heavy plate... a couple bends.. a piece of angle welded across the top.. 2 feet of pressure treated wood wrapped in carpet.. 2 lag bolts and 2 U bolts to fit the frame. Don't even want to know what that cost me when ordering the boat.

If I can hit that with a 22 foot Baron and not move it, you don't need anymore than that.

Mine are similar but are welded to the trailer.

The trailer was custom made for my boat so they didn't need to be adjustable.

Speaking of putting in the trailer to deep, I've found out that with a roller trailer, you barely even need to get it wet, lol. That being said we've got load guides on our trailer, really does help when it's extremely windy out, or if I'm by myself.

I have some 4 or 5" wide stainless 3/8" flat bar Wayne that might do the trick. That set up looks strong and fairly simple as well. Thanks!

Have u tried not putting the trailer so deep and using the WINCH that is installed?

Biggest problem I see at boat launches is guys backing their boat trailers in waaaaaay to far.

Just sayin....

I've never needed the guides, and 99% of boat trailers out there don't either. You just have to find the sweet spot when putting the trailer in the water.

S.

Oh I have,the boat is far too heavy to pull when out of the water to much. She's the best part of 3000lbs. lol.

Just sayin....

S.

I have to agree with Sinker. I have a 19.5' deep V Starcraft and really never had a problem. The set up I see that Irishfield has was what a friend had made and put a huge dent in the hull when the boat slammed into the unforgiving siderail.

I see guys not wetting the bunks before trying to winch the barge on, back in so you wet all the bunks, then pull out until the centre roller is just out of the water, if the keel is lined up on the centre roller your boat is centered too. Now having said that I only launch in protected launches on Lake Erie, we have spent an hour or more trying to get a 17' er onto a trailer on an open shoreline here that has resulted in a few broken ribs, that's with side guides. No fish is worth broken ribs.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I made mine using threaded rod that I bent into shape to fit over the trailer frame and through the holes of the satellite dish mount that I used for the basic part of the guide. once I had the satellite mount on the frame I put some light weight aluminum pipe inside the mount arm to the height I needed it, then I covered the pipe with light weight pvc pipe, ( the stuff used for central vacuum lines) then I put a stop bolt through the top to prevent the pvc from sliding off the pipe and wrapped some reflective red tape on the top .

I only have a 16 foot skiff on the trailer, but it works pretty well.

The set up I see that Irishfield has was what a friend had made and put a huge dent in the hull when the boat slammed into the unforgiving siderail.

There are people capable of denting their cars by just pulling them into the garage as well. Just sayin..... lol

Edited by irishfield

We winch a 5000lb boat on the trailer. Get a bigger winch lol

S.

It's a easy load trailer capable of trailering my boat. I will not kill myself pulling it up with little water. I have to back my explorer so far in just to get the fenders under water. All four wheels are in the water. If it was that easy I wouldn't ask for rear guides. When I get back that far the alighnment is the issue,not cranking. Keep in mind this is not your typical launch.

I have to agree with Sinker. I have a 19.5' deep V Starcraft and really never had a problem. The set up I see that Irishfield has was what a friend had made and put a huge dent in the hull when the boat slammed into the unforgiving siderail.

I see guys not wetting the bunks before trying to winch the barge on, back in so you wet all the bunks, then pull out until the centre roller is just out of the water, if the keel is lined up on the centre roller your boat is centered too. Now having said that I only launch in protected launches on Lake Erie, we have spent an hour or more trying to get a 17' er onto a trailer on an open shoreline here that has resulted in a few broken ribs, that's with side guides. No fish is worth broken ribs.

Mine is a fibreglass boat,way,way heavier with a v8. Just sayin lol.The motor is the best part of 1000lbs alone.