Last Debate - Smokercraft Pro 162 XL vs. Alumacraft Competitor 165 Sport

Rizzo

What about inside storage or layout? Can you see the instruments, or is the steering wheel in the way? Which one uses space better? Which one can you see yourself sitting in for the next 15 years or so? Which one matches your car better?

You are talking about two riveted boats with brand new motors. Both will serve well and both motors will likely start when you turn the key for years to come. In other words, if I were to put this in terms of bicycles, you are looking at a Trek and a Giant. Both just frames with different names, with Shimano gears and Rock shock forks. You will enjoy riding both, and the actual difference is minuscule.

Make a pro and con list and buy the boat that ticks off more of your "pro" boxes.

Then quit looking, and quit asking.

Jim

Myself Rizzo, I liked the Navigator because of the big livewell and with a Yamaha. Problem now there making boats with this stupid rod locker down the middle of the boat and making these small livewells you can only put a couple small fish in. Myself, a big livewell is great for fish recovery, Tournaments, and a fish cooler. Like, how many rod storage places do you need. I even see there putting bigger livewells in the stern, there is enough weight in the back of the boat now with motor, batteries, fuel, etc. The amount of money you pay for a boat, they should have livewell options. I'd like to see them put a big muskie, pike, Salmon in those dink livewells.

If it were me, I'd be looking at the tiller models. Look at all that space!! Way nicer to fish from! Probably cheaper too.

Another thing to check out is where things will be mounted, and how hard will it be to install. Things like rod holders, graphs, GPS etc. My buddies boat was a gong show to install tracks/rod holders, but others were a breeze.

Bottom line is they're both good boats.

S.

If it were me, I'd be looking at the tiller models. Look at all that space!! Way nicer to fish from! Probably cheaper too.

Another thing to check out is where things will be mounted, and how hard will it be to install. Things like rod holders, graphs, GPS etc. My buddies boat was a gong show to install tracks/rod holders, but others were a breeze.

Bottom line is they're both good boats.

S.

oh no tiller debate!

yeah for sure the tiller offers way more fishability and space, downfall is no protection from elements , my choice would be a tiller boat if available

I have enough quality outer wear to protect me from the elements anyways! I'm sure even the console guys have good outer wear.

A buddy of mine has a much bigger console boat than me, but we always fish from my tiller. Soooo much more room. I feel cramped in a console.

S.

I'm no expert but I've looked at both and I don't think you can go wrong with either. I know how it is.. making the final call can be tough! Personally, I like the Alumacraft better and the extra 7in might be nice considering the big full windshield!

On that note, I think my next boat will be a tiller. I have a wide single console now, however sat in a few tillers and I gotta say the fishability and room is awesome.

well said Wayne! At the price point I'm looking at there will always be something left to desire...hence my difficulty making a decision. The good news is, I like both boats so hopefully happy either way. With the aluma I worry that the 70 might be inadequate, with the Smoker I worry the aluma is the better quality boat!

If Clarence is not selling them anymore, there is a place in Sutton that is selling them, seen them at the show.. Powersport Depot PM me if you want phone #

Edited by Loonietoon

Alumacraft now eh? That boat sounds familer!

Food for thought....

The Aluma is a new/old stock unit and the $500 difference may be negotiable especially if they're getting away from the brand.

You're unlike to incur warranty issues on a boat of that quality and Bay City can still be your shop for motor service and repair.

Pay close attention to items included in the deal(s) especially where number of seats, tops/covers are concerned. Post sale or custom work can cost a fortune. My Starcraft came with a bimini, side windows, full clear camper back, clear rear drop curtain and zip in clear windshield extension. The zip in windshield extension is awesome. It converts the bimini into a full top. Most boats come with a full top and you need a seperate bimini. The Smokercraft might have this as well.

As mentioned previously, layout should make your mind up.

Is the 3 seat configuration in the Smoker okay or do you prefer the 4 seater Aluma?

Does one have a better dash layout to accommodate a suitable sonar/gps combo?

My boat has a huge glove box and I never gave it much thought when buying but its great for lots of dry storage for clothing, gear, lunches etc.

Are either boats pre-wired for bow mount trolling motor and batteries? You can run up a big bill to properly equip afterwards.

Rod holder mounting options?

Motor rebates or warranty promotions?

Spare tire, swing tongue, LED lights, transom tie-downs, trailer brakes included on either?

There's a bunch of things for you to consider to sway you one way or another.

can you convert the 70 hp to a 90 with a change done on the computer of the motor. I think some 75 hp were could be changed to 90 for $300 after upgrades to the computer chip.anybody know if this is true.

go with the suke/smoker combo getting better bang for your buck

the alumacraft while decent boat are built extra heavy look at the double flooring ect so unless you can equip it to max hp it will be a performance "letdown" compared to other 70-75hp class boats

This is good advice on both cost and alumacraft weight IMO.

can you convert the 70 hp to a 90 with a change done on the computer of the motor. I think some 75 hp were could be changed to 90 for $300 after upgrades to the computer chip.anybody know if this is true.

So buy a new motor and void your warranty right off the bat? That doesn't seem very smart.

Allumacraft all the way if i was choosing between them as long as they both had the layout i wanted. Lund and Allumacraft are the top tin boats made as far as quality, i wouldnt worry about being under powered due to its higher rating because these boats will perform about the same with a 70 due to the weights being the same. Like mentioned its the motor you want to worry about for warranty/service, the boat could be fixed under warranty at a manufacturers approved repair center like Grumpy's no need to return it to the selling dealer. Its hard enough finding a dealer to service a yammy never mind a suzuki and then there is the parts issue so for that reason alone I would pass.

A couple things you should also be considering.

1. Resale value. If and when it comes time to sell you're boat, you'll be glad you went with Alumacraft.

I'm not saying Smoker is not a quality aluminum boat, but their reputation is not up to par with Alumacraft.

2, No doubt the Suzuki is a nice outboard but their dealer network is small. Meaning if you plan to take you're rig to Northern Ontario,Quebec,Manitoba, or the States and something goes wrong there's a better chance that there will be a Yamaha dealer close by.

With a Suzie you'll most likely be SOL.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Edited by Slimeball

thanks so much everyone. Looks like I will go with the aluma as it seems to be the choice of the majority. Looks like I'll even splurge and do the 90 (even though I said I wouldn't). I just hated the idea of possibly being underpowered. Scraped up a few more $ and lets do it right, without regrets

The Alumacraft will be a much better boat. As far as width goes it is only 4 inches narrower at the max but is 3 inches wider at the transom. In other words the smokercraft flares out at the console and then tapers at the transom. The longer hull will ride better in rough water and I agree that the Yamaha is a much better motor and there are more dealers for service.