Buying a Lund Rebel 1650 Sport (vinyl floor)

snagmaster

Hi Guys,

Been a while since Ive posted on here as I have been crazy busy working and traded my boat in for hardwood floors (thanks to my wonderful wife).

Im in the proccess of buying a 2013 lund Rebel 1650 sport with 90 4 stroke merc. Ive found exactly what I want at a dealer (avoiding a 2 month wait to get custom from lund) but have one concern. The boat Im looking at has vinyl floors thru out (lower level and front casting deck). Im use to a carpeted front casting deck so am very hesitant.

What do u guys think? Any pros and cons you gents can fill me in on. Its abviously great for cleaning but not sure about if its tear with hooks? or if it gets really hot to walk on bare foot in the summer?

Thanks for the feedback. Also any comments or tips about this model would be greatly appreciated.

You can expect many reports like the old days once I get this bad boy.

Stay safe on the water.

Snagmasteral

i have vinyl floors on my princecraft xpedition and i absolutely love them!!! not hard to walk on barefoot, not slippery when wet either. i have had zero issues with hooks or any tearing at all.

makes clean up a breeze and comes back to its original color and look after cleaning. i have had a couple salmon that were squirting blood all over the place and with a carpet i would have been in trouble.

you will be happy you ended up with vinyl over carpet for sure.

After having vinyl in every single boat before our 1700 Pro Sport, the carpets are really really nice. No slip and slide when they get wet. Although you've gotta dry the boat out if it gets wet and take care of any blood stains. Good/bad for each.

I once had a boat with a vinyl floor and while it's easy to keep clean I found it just too hot for my liking. I fish in my bare feet alot and just couldn't do it in that boat. Another consideration is if you take a dog in the boat with you, you'll need to put down a blanket for him.

Other than that, their OK, but my preference is definitely with carpet..

Edited by lew

interested to know why you need a blanket down for the dog? does the vinyl get that hot?

I'm redoing the floors (among everything else) in my 10 yr old lund..I'm putting carpet on the casting deck because i fish barefoot a lot in the summer and leaning towards vinyl for the rear flooring, or possibly some type of roll on texture that's not too abrasive

all my experience has been in tinnies or fully carpeted boats, carpet is nice but higher maintenance and I really only appreciate it on the casting deck

interested to hear everybody's preferences

Our vinyl floor never seems to get too hot for bare feet. I personally love the way it cleans up, doesn't stain, dries quickly and has worn well compared to carpet. Vinyl all the way as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Old Man

i fish barefoot every now and again and i have never noticed my floors getting hot?? my vinyl is beige not sure if that makes a difference.

I'm sure colour might have effect. That said, mine's light grey and I've never found it too hot in bare feet.

interested to know why you need a blanket down for the dog? does the vinyl get that hot?

Yup, I definitely think it's too hot for a dog when the summer sun is beating down on it.

When I can't stand on in my bare feet, I for sure wouldn't force my dog to be on it without some protection from the heat.

But that's only my opinion.

First of all, congrats on the almost there boat purchase. I love my Rebel and so far it's been an awesome. The 1650 you're looking at has some change to the rod storage and I like that extra size to the back casting deck.

The guys here have nailed it I think. Vinyl on the floor and carpets on the decks if you took a poll would likely be favored.

Vinyl... yep, easier to keep clean. Eating, drinking, the odd fish flappin' around in the boat... it's 10-15 minutes with a good scrub brush a few times a season and you're good.

Carpet on casting deck... not as hot, more comfortable and not as slippy. Carpet also holds water a little longer before it seeps into compartments. It's 10-15 minutes with the same scrub brush a few times a season, but... each time a bloody mess hits the floor while fishing, a few seconds to a minute to wipe up some mess with a rag. Keep mine pretty clean in case the kiddies are out and want to lay around in the boat.

The vinyl and carpet together IMO, compliment one another and give a better look.

One easy thing you can do to also keep the carpet cleaner... buy a rubber-carpeted door mat to lay down. Since doing this, the amount of stains and cleaning has been way less. Doesn't matter where in the boat fish are netted, if it's big or going to be a bloody, slimey messy, you lay it on the mat. Also, standing on the deck all day, stand on the mat. Going camping, guys getting in and out of the boat, wipe your feet on the mat. It collects dirt and filth that would eventually find it's way down into the hull... grime that will hold moisture longer and cause more corrosion. End of a dirty day or week fishing, take out the mat, shake it and hose it down. Much easier than scrubbing your mess away.

That all said... you have vinyl on the casting deck for the boat you're looking at... so wha reallyt! Lay down a heavy outdoor mat over that. You could even cut one to shape if you wanted full coverage. Then your floor cleaning would be even easier and other problems solved.

Edited by Moosebunk

Hmm...I've never noticed vinyl getting hot before. Mine was light coloured though....I dunno.....I can't stand carpet in a boat. Silliest idea ever IMO. All it does is hold water and dirt. My vinyl floors are dry and clean in minutes. Carpet is wet for a loooong time, and never gets clean. It stinks too.

S.

I have a 1625 Rebel ss with the vinyl floor and planning to upgrade to a Lund 1750 and or a 1800 and hope they have vinyl as well , I've had carpeted boats before and I wouldn't go back. I've never noticed the vinyl being too hot as I often fish barefooted as well.

I have a 2002 lund rebel and its a great boat. After 11 years I must say I am glad to see the carpet gone . I have just spent my winter redoing my floor with vinyl. I had to cut new plywood floor as well . The carpet was wicking moisture into the edges of the plywood where the floor butts up against the hull..

Congrats on the new boat, hurry up and get it before your better half decides to put in something else. Some good points for carpet vs. vinyl. I've had both. When looking to buy new in 2010 I noticed some of the carpeting if not most was very plush and very light in color. I'm sure it would be nice to walk on but a pain to keep clean. And I would be very upset the first time it got slimed and bloodied. I've had both and bought a very meticulously maintained Starcraft from an avid fisherman who had it docked in Long Point. It is carpeted however the carpet is a multi toned very tight pile carpeting that is water resistant, I've hosed it off and it drys real quickly. Very easy to maintain and keep clean, feels a bit hard with bare feet but better than vinyl for comfort. It would depend on what type of carpeting we are talking about here, as I said some of the newer stuff looks to belong in the foyer of a 5 star hotel. As well how much time you are willing to spend on keeping it clean and looking new or whether you really don't care about maintaining it which some people don't.

After burying 3 razor sharp treble hooks, yes all 9, into my foot up in LongLac fishing without footwear I have never fished barefoot again. Almost ruined my trip and lost a days fishing and still feel terrible one of the guys lost a day waiting in emergency for me. He still reminds me 32 years latter.

You can't go wrong with that Lund, was very sad when I gave up my 17.5 Sportsman but caught 2 footitis and just love my Starcraft for bigger water. Shrinkwrap comes off tomorrow. Whoha.

Should have also mentioned adding some custom carpeting on the casting platforms or wherever you wish is an easily doable job and might save you some big dealer $$$$'s. With some of this super Velcro heck you could do the entire boat and remove it anytime you want.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I can see the argument for vinyl for sure, but why did they have to make it so ugly? The vinyl in the Crestliners are a weird beige with squiggles and dots. The other beauty about carpeting is that it covers defects in workmanship (for you Lund owners), keeps lids tight, etc.

Congrats on the new purchase!!

Jim

Carpet for houses but the velco or snap in out carpet sounds like a good idea. Just take it out and hose it down, hang dry. Anyone done this?

We've got carpet on our carpet, lol! My oldman likes to keep the boat tidy... Works great.

One thing the Rebel is the only Lund model that has a decent live-well in the front. Vinyl is great but make sure in the hot temps you don't have any thing sharp like a stone caught in your shoe or anything that's sharp that's going to touch the flooring because when it gets hot the vinyl get soft and can puncture easy. I also have those heavy rubber back carpets that are in store entrants on my vinyl floor makes it easier to pick up minnows. plus you can take them out and hose them down. It does get slippery if snow gets on the floor or Fish,Muskie slime. I still like the vinyl.

Edited by Fish Farmer