35lb lake trout from Temagami

kickingfrog

http://www.nugget.ca/2013/03/04/35-lb-lake-trout-caught

Last Thursday, Trout Creek's Keith Linklater was fishing with John Harding, of Temagami Lake On-Ice Bungalows, and landed this 35 lb lake trout. Linklater said it was a day with strong north winds and blowing snow. He caught the fish at 10:30 a.m. in 115 feet of water on Lake Temagami. It measured 42 inches long with a girth of 25 inches. On closer inspection, Linklater found another line hanging out of its mouth.

I think I need to live where catching a 35lb Laker makes front page news. Lol.

Yup... its nice and slow up here... lol.. there's a reason i moved back....

Nice fish... he bought the licence he can keep it!! Im pretty sure that hauling anything up from that depth would be the end of it no matter what... Hes best off to keep it rather than risk wasting it in my opinion!

110 fow up to the top is real tough on a fish. If you are fishing deep and bring it up its not good for it for sure. Lake trout though are able to adjust them selves much better than say walleye, but still thats real deep. Great fish, within slots and possesion. I see no problem with keeping it if thats his thing.

even small lakers are pretty poor table fare, I wouldn't want to try that giant

I guess with enough seasoning, even a dog turd could be eaten by some

LOL>. When they are that big I smoke them.... but small lakers up north... better than walleye as far as im concerned.

even small lakers are pretty poor table fare, I wouldn't want to try that giant

I guess with enough seasoning, even a dog turd could be eaten by some

I had a Delicous 20" Lake Trout last week. I covered it with butter, spices, and cesar salad dressing and wrapped it in foil. 17 minutes per side on the bar-b-que. Best I have ever had.

A beautiful fish and an amazing catch. Terry's right... there are bigger in there but it's not everyday an angler in Ontario catches a 35lb'er through the ice in ANY part of the province.

Maybe it's headed for the wall. Maybe a septic system. Anglers choice.

Lakers for eating can be great from one place and terrible from others. I'm with ya TJ... battered and fried in the pan they "can" be every bit as tasty as walleye.

Yep.. I deep fry the little guys we get downrigging, that hit the boat DOA after ripping up from 100FOW, and they taste no different than an 'eye. Also good on the BBQ.. cook flesh side first, then flip and burn the skin side 'till it chars and they taste like BBQ chicken.. either that or it's just that " burned taste" I give everything on the grill. I did the first laker I got in the oven as suggested by many... wasn't fit for a dog.

The big guy that this thread is all about... probably long out of the breeding cycle and just out there cruising around eating anything that got in front of it's mouth (including that little laker Terry was reeling up last winter! LOL). Most just snap people off.. so the odd one hitting the wall that size doesn't get me the least bit excited from one of the largest inland fresh water lakes in Canada.

People can eat what ever they want, however they want. Personal preferences and tastes are exactly that.

But if your walleye and lake trout taste the same you're cooking one, or likely both, wrong… or using enough Catchup to make a 10 year old gag.

If they're both eating the same forage basically.. no reason they won't taste very similar. On Temagami we bring all species out of the same hole in 78FOW!

I've only eaten lakers from Haliburton, pretty tasteless, a little muddy, with a slight rubbery texture, very different from a walleye up there, same lake/ forage base or not

Edited by chris.brock

I had a Delicous 20" Lake Trout last week. I covered it with butter, spices, and cesar salad dressing and wrapped it in foil. 17 minutes per side on the bar-b-que. Best I have ever had.

cover anything with butter, spices and dressing and it'll be palatable