Soft baits for pike

taper

I just read the article in the Extreme Angler annual about using large soft body jerk baits for pike, have any of you tried them and how did you make out? I am thinking of trying them out. Any suggestions on brand, colour and presentation.

Yes the plastic jerk shad work really well for pike. Look at the Strike King Zulu bait as they are very strong and resist tearing. The new ones from Tiki baits are nice and have some great colours in them for attraction. They are on sale at Fishing World for $3.99 a pack.

I like the slightly smaller ones Mike, like 5-6". I have always done well on soft jerkbaits for pike up north. My fav colours are white, yellow and chartreuse. Fluke super jerks or manns draggin jerk seem to do the trick for me.

I fish them with no weight at all, I can fish them any way I want then, swim them across the surface, or slow down and go deeper with jerks and pauses. I tell you, the pike love em!

I tried 6" yum dingers on my trip to the islands and the lethargic fish did give it a better look and took much longer to decide it wasn't worth it to eat my bait then solid plastic baits. Not a great example but I do think soft jerkbaits and "senko" style stickbaits in the right conditions will outfish solid jerkbaits hands down, I just need to figure out what those conditions are...

RJ

Plastic works great. But torn up pick rubber sitting in a tackle box doesn't have the same charm as a jointed perch patterned pikie with teeth marks.

Rob

LOL, yea, very good point. I was just going through some tackle today and there are no memories in soft plastic baits.

The minnow baits are an altogether different story. Sorting through them tonight brought back many good memories while looking at the battle worn lures.