Would you give up your secret spot?

jedimaster

The honey hole.  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Would you fork over your honey hole?

• yes, my spots aren't secret.
    • for the right price or fame.
    • when I am cold and dead i'll leave you a map, but it won't lead you to my honey hole.

I'd have no problem telling people where my honeyhole is. I just would tell them where to go once they're in the river. I'd warn them its very rocky and you have to know exactly where they would have to go in the river if they don't want to lose their prop. If they can make it there unscathed they deserve to fish there just as much as I do lol.

Not a chance !!!!! I have given a few spots and info away before !!!! And then those people make it sound like they found it !!! Hahaha... Some spots I'm taking to the grave ...... I spent half my life way before GPS and graphs and Internet finding theses spots the old fashioned way by reading paper maps and trial and error and actually putting in the leg work and slugging to get these spots !!!!! Now people can just go online and think they can just ask for the info and spots without doing all their homework !!!!!!!!!!

No, not southern ontario anyway. I have no issues giving up my super hard too get to northern ontario spots because if someone is hardcore enough to fish them those spots deserve to be shared and enjoyed as I can only get to so many spots in a year

Edited by Musky or Specks

I also have a philosophy about secret spots. A secret spot has only you as its friend. Unless you can be there 24/7 when you show up next time it might be gone. Share it as much as you can with many resposible anglers and that way when government/big business try take away your right to fish it/ruin it with economic progress it will have a strong voice. I have seen a few "secret spots" dissappear forever because they had no one protecting them

Edited by Musky or Specks

Nope.

Ask all the people who live on the back channels of Scugog Island what it was like the week after Italo did a spring crappie show.

Garbage, line in the water, people pissing and sh**ing in their back yards....

I don't think Scugog holds a secret spot anyway haha...but I see your point. I would share a spot or two but there not around here anyway..would make for a good show seeing as I fish some funky bass waters

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

These TV shows do a masterful job at flashing senery shots to disguise were they were fishing. Seen ice fishing one last year that must have flashed 20 different areas of Bay of Quinte.

Big for me is who makes the money on this epiosode. The host can tell all the great things that will happen for you.

Money talks, they are being paid by many sources and the faster they get footage the more they make.

Most of these host could fined there own fish, maybe take 3-4 days, you come in but a show in the can in 4 hrs. you deserve cash.

I don't really say much but then again have been followed around in the boat several times when on the kawarthas, have had a crappie spot or so appear on a show but then I knew where it was most people wouldn't .

secret spots ahh not really into sharing most areas I go to relax and not see people i do lots of leg work at times to find those small gems and those spots still produce when i show up, have been shown many "secret spots" those areas remain that way let the person who showed me tell others

Purely hypothetical but lets say you were approached by your favorite TV show about a secret fishing hole and they wanted to do a show and put you on tv with your fishing hero. The catch is you would have to be willing to cough up your most secret and prized fishing hole.

Would you do it?

No

I also have a philosophy about secret spots. A secret spot has only you as its friend. Unless you can be there 24/7 when you show up next time it might be gone. Share it as much as you can with many resposible anglers and that way when government/big business try take away your right to fish it/ruin it with economic progress it will have a strong voice. I have seen a few "secret spots" dissappear forever because they had no one protecting them

I agree with this,well said....however ONLY using responsible anglers, not someone who will publish the spot at the drop of a new decal.

NEVER!!!!!!

EVER!!!!!

EVER!!!!!

NOPE!!!

FORGET IT!!!

AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!!! ;)

Awe comon Dave ...........we live in the middle of BFN we're 18 hours from nowhere I promise I won't tell a soul :tease::tease::tease:

But I agree with lew...... wish I had a secret spot........lol,

Awe comon Dave ...........we live in the middle of BFN we're 18 hours from nowhere I promise I won't tell a soul :tease::tease::tease:

But I agree with lew...... wish I had a secret spot........lol,

South shore Strawberry Island, near Lutsle'Ke, 35 feet...she lives there...seen here 2x...biggest laker I've ever seen.

I feel that crappies have it the worst of all fish species.

Everyone loves to catch and keep 'em, their spots are predicatable and generally don't move off too far year after year.

Then I just found out that basin crappies over the ice are practically 0% survival rates for catch and release for fishing deeper than 25FOW. Glad I wasn't born a crappie... lol.

So hold your crappie spots to your grave! Bass, well general areas aren't too bad... but the specific tree where I like to pluck fish....Good luck. I'm sure my bass spots aren't secrets but I'd like to feel they are.

Edited by EC1

If there is one really good spot on a lake, I guarantee there are others .... and most likely better ones.

I don't watch or care about TV or anyone on it .... but if someone offered me big money to give up a great spot ..... of course I'd do it. And so would every single one of you guys who said you wouldn't. I'd take the money and have a blast fishing new and different water to find fresh spots.

Does everyone really just sit off the same rocky point all the time and catch the same fish over and over. Of course not. There is WAY too much water for a single spot to be all that important.

If we are talking really big money ($25k or more) then it would be foolish not to take it.

I've shared plenty of my spots... But I still have some that are family only spots...

Also... I had a local guy out one time... I took him to 20+ walleye spots that day....we caught plenty of fish... 2 weeks later he called me up admitting that he tried to find the spots and the ones he found he tried to fish... He didn't catch a thing...

So just because someone finds a spot from another angler... That doesn't mean they will be as successful there....

I share with those I trust,and those that will return the favor. If asked not to take anyone to a spot,it,s a done deal. To me,it,S about respect,and maybe, a new spot for me to go,if allowed.

I do remember once,when I was doing the CFT pro/am,I took a pro to one of my spots. I kinda got told,in not so nice way after,,NEVER TELL THOSE GUYS ANYTHING. :ninja: LOL

What did I know,I just wanted to get fish in the boat,cuz,we had none after 6 hours on the water. :rofl2: .

It's kind of a moot point isn't it? I mean, any spot will only be good when you're there at the right time of day, right time of year, and in the right weather conditions. And, if you're using the right stuff.

Telling someone a spot may give them a piece of the puzzle, but it's only one piece. That alone won't put any fish in their boat.