eastern huntshow bans assault weapons

chessy

This is like solving a huge fight in your own house and then watching your neigbours start a similair battle in theirs. You really want to help cause you've been there, but sometimes folks have to figure it out for themselves. And truthfully, it is really none of our business. Fortunately lol :)

Edited by Harrison

I'm sure a well armed militia would be beneficial in 1791, but it's 2013... The guys pushing their 2nd amendment rights are as bad as the folks calling for an all out gun ban if you ask me...

There's always room for improvement, but on both sides you've got people that aren't willing to budge at all..

The nature of man hasn't changed. This issue is being highlited by a morally bankrupt governement and elitist types looking to place blame on the shoulders of law abiding gun owners. Why? They truly believe they are superior human beings, while we average Americans are nothing but country pumpkins, nothing but a revenue source. The fact that collectively we represent the largest standing army in the world is is a very real barrier to them furthering their agenda. Two they are completely inneffectual at understanding and dealing with the real root causes of violence in our society, and in fact many of these heretics profit from the culture of violence our children are bombarded with on a daily basis in the form or music, movies, romanticized gang culture, and video games, It's a far better soundbite to just blame "assault weapons" and it serves their purpose. The truth is, what we're seing today is a pretty good analogy as to what occurred in this country while under the thumb of England, the main difference being the government is taxing future generations visa vie out of control deficit spending and quantum easing vs levying unbearable taxes upon the current generation which they know would get them thrown out of office. So no, there can be no "bargaining" with these misquided nincumpoops, they are only demonstrating the wisdom of the founding fathers.

the problem with the gun control debate is that it is perpetuated by the extremists. on one hand you have those with ZERO education regarding firearms who feel that law abiding citizens shouldn't own "weapons". on the other side you have fringe lunatics who think that every effort to curb gun violence is some kind of an affront to their civil rights. realistically both these segments of the population are NUTS, self righteous, and refuse to see any other point of view other than their own. i'd like to think a majority of us sit somewhere in the rational space between the two.

This is bogus. No one on this thread, and no prominent voices in the american media are arguing for banning all guns...no one. One side of this debate is advocating banning certain types of weapons (the other is taking and absolutist, hardline stance that argues the red herring of elite liberals taking the first steps in taking away all the guns.

Art said above about this is a 'gray issue' that will not require black and white solutions...Well, only side is talking in black and white terms here, and that is the side saying 'Outta my cold dead hands...'

Sinclair, you're repeated talk about fully automatic is just another red herring, and a favorite of the NRA types. No one here is talking about fully auto assault weapons. Try to follow along.

The nature of man hasn't changed. This issue is being highlited by a morally bankrupt governement and elitist types looking to place blame on the shoulders of law abiding gun owners. Why? They truly believe they are superior human beings, while we average Americans are nothing but country pumpkins, nothing but a revenue source. The fact that collectively we represent the largest standing army in the world is is a very real barrier to them furthering their agenda. Two they are completely inneffectual at understanding and dealing with the real root causes of violence in our society, and in fact many of these heretics profit from the culture of violence our children are bombarded with on a daily basis in the form or music, movies, romanticized gang culture, and video games, It's a far better soundbite to just blame "assault weapons" and it serves their purpose. The truth is, what we're seing today is a pretty good analogy as to what occurred in this country while under the thumb of England, the main difference being the government is taxing future generations visa vie out of control deficit spending and quantum easing vs levying unbearable taxes upon the current generation which they know would get them thrown out of office. So no, there can be no "bargaining" with these misquided nincumpoops, they are only demonstrating the wisdom of the founding fathers.

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean that 'they' are not out to get you!!!

I've always run my "family": with the same question. "Does that seem reasonable to you??" I own a good 15 rifles for hunting. I love guns and I love hunting. Does it seem reasonable for me to own a gun that's specifically made for war?? Not to me. Would it be cool to have one.. sure, is it reasonable.. no. Not in Canada.. I can drop a deer on the run (lol at least I used to...) with my hunting rifle, so anyone that needs a m-16 type rifle, really just needs more practice..lol.

Our US friends in my opinion are a different matter altogether. We hear the stats that there are more guns in the US than citizens, so its easy for us to judge that they should be more like us, when clearly the situation is very different. I don't know what the solution's are, but Im pretty sure its not MORE guns.

There is a huge US subculture out there that's VERY paranoid about the government taking away their rights and them not being able to defend themselves. In Canada were are very lucky, we can sweep one government out and another in in a landslide in about 6 weeks. Happens all the time.. and i mean landslides sometimes.

Their system is not set up to do that (I'm not saying our system is any better)

The number of guns already available makes the whole situation difficult. BUT there's no point in not trying.. Under the republicans there already was a ban on the sales of these firearms.

Anyway BACK to the topic of this thread...

The show is a private event so Kudos to the organizers for taking a stand against something they obviously do not believe in and kudos to the vendors who disagree and will not attend.

Just like this board, you can CHOOSE not to be a part of the community if it doesn't fill your needs.

And arguing about it... well, if your arguing with someone whose mind you will never change, you're just yelling.

As the OP keeps pointing out, this isn't about assault weapons, it's about customization.

If i put a pistol grip on my shotgun, it's an assault weapon. I'm teaching my kid to shoot so I put a collapible stock on my .22 so he can adjust where the butt sits and all of a sudden that .22 is an assault weapon.

Come on, any semi-intelligent person knows the action makes the firearm, not the accessories.

On a side note I wonder how many people still hunt, or own, Enfields or M-1 Garands, battle rifles desinged with a specific purpose in mind, killing people. The Garand is even semi-auto and would do a lot more damage with it's larger calibre, but since it doesn't have a collapsibe stock or pistol grip, and isn't black polymer, I guess it's not dangerous.

I've always run my "family": with the same question. "Does that seem reasonable to you??" I own a good 15 rifles for hunting. I love guns and I love hunting. Does it seem reasonable for me to own a gun that's specifically made for war?? Not to me. Would it be cool to have one.. sure, is it reasonable.. no. Not in Canada.. I can drop a deer on the run (lol at least I used to...) with my hunting rifle, so anyone that needs a m-16 type rifle, really just needs more practice..lol.

Ok this is beggin for this story---apologies for the sidetrack for a sec

Years ago my boy put an 8 pointer out to me out of a spruce swamp-----he surprised me as much as I him---about 80 yds I had room for one shot----Bang

Nothin??---did'nt see him or hear him run away-----so Off I trudge to see---I thought I missed

I dropped him in a hole---he went zero steps----now his spine was twisted a diff way but I won't gross out the non-hunters

But I learned as a kid how to hit those running deer--and some of the secrets to use

There are practice methods as well

I always taught my son-----Make that 1st one count---it will get tougher after that----so we always worked within that 5 shot arena.---those big mags----not compensation for education

Actually after the war of 1812---my ancestors were retained by the crown to teach new settlers how to hunt---fish and live in this environment

So it kinda is inherited

Over 11000 murders and something like 30000 overall gun deaths(suicide, shot by cop, self defence, accidents) in the US..... Its more than just the issue of the tool that does the deed...why is life so undervalued????

Exactly. We trusted him with hundreds of other types and styles of firearms. What changed when he picked up a semi-auto black rifle? Nothing. He is no more a threat than he ever was.

Why must some folks try to tell me what I need, or what I should or should not own? Why do I even have to state a reason? It is such a simple and hypocritical place from which they operate.

i'm someone who poses ZERO risk to the public, yet i'm considered and treated as a criminal (yes, in canada, you're technically a criminal) and am constantly defending my right to own and shoot firearms. what these people that know NOTHING about firearms don't understand is that making thing's harder for law abiding citizens does absolutely NOTHING to lower firearm's related crimes. something bad happens somewhere and these people somehow think that banning law abiding citizens from owning a certain firearm is somehow going to make the world a better place. a criminal is going to get a gun if he wants one whether the anti gun folks think so or not.

i'd say alcohol causes far more heartache than firearms. go annoy drinkers instead of shooters for a change :D

An AR-15 isn't an assault rifle?

NO!!!!!! it is a SEMI AUTOMATIC firearm. the EXACT same as ANY SEMI AUTOMATIC firearm traditional hunters would use, with a "scary" costume on...

funny. most of us grew up with a single shot winchester cooey.

funny. many grew up with a pen and paper. i guess you better stop using the computer and internet?

assult weapons were developed for war not hunting....

at no point would any resonsable hunter fill its prey full of bullets to the piont of hamberger....

Do you have the right to own guns

YES...

Doo you have the right to own GUNS desighned for millitary use??

No..

Just my 2cents. and yes I did read through the 4 pages...

i really suggest people learn about the topic before commenting. SEMI AUTOMATIC firearms are one of the most common actions that HUNTERS use. in the eyes of "them", all semi automatic firearms should be banned. that means no more semi auto centerfires or shotguns for hunters too.

are any of those 15 rifles you use for hunting a semi automatic? if so, you're the proud owner of an "assault rifle". this is the HUGE thing many hunters who are against "black rifles" are missing. by supporting the ban of "black" semi automatic firearms you're basically setting yourself up for heartache. you may not like those mean looking black guns, but as firearms owners we ALL need to stand together to protect all of our rights.

that said, i have zero black guns and only one semi auto that is a .22lr i inherited. but, i realize that fighting for someone else benefits us all in the end...

the problem with the gun control debate is that it is perpetuated by the extremists. on one hand you have those with ZERO education regarding firearms who feel that law abiding citizens shouldn't own "weapons". on the other side you have fringe lunatics who think that every effort to curb gun violence is some kind of an affront to their civil rights. realistically both these segments of the population are NUTS, self righteous, and refuse to see any other point of view other than their own. i'd like to think a majority of us sit somewhere in the rational space between the two.

There is a lot of truth in that statement. If the government wanted to reduce the overall number of firearms homicides, and a ban was the only way, they would choose to ban bolt actions and shotguns before 'assault rifles' (every rifle you own is a variant of an assault rifle), more people are killed with hunting rifles and shotguns than with AR's. But since this is more about optics than actual effective legistlation we let emotions drive the bus. The point is, ban what you like, people are still going to be shot in droves in the US, oh perhpas a ban will reduce the 5 percent of homicides involving an AR by 10 percent, maybe there will be one less sensationlized story on CNN, and while they cover the next shooting far more people will be shot with a hang gun, and they aren't going anywhere, and more people will be shot with the twelve guage.

Ask yourself, would it have mattered less if those kids, or anyone else, was shot alone or in a group, with a shotgun or an AR, by a guy carrying one gun or four? Does any of that really matter? You don't have to look far to find examples of mass shootings with shot guns, hunting rifles, or hand guns. Do you believe it would have been impossible to shoot those kids, or those firemen if AR's didn't exist? Blaming the type of gun is just a silly emotional argument, i dont really care if they are banned, i dont want to own one, but it isnt going to prevent this from happening again.

Edited by blarg

Our US friends in my opinion are a different matter altogether. We hear the stats that there are more guns in the US than citizens, so its easy for us to judge that they should be more like us, when clearly the situation is very different. I don't know what the solution's are, but Im pretty sure its not MORE guns.

There is a huge US subculture out there that's VERY paranoid about the government taking away their rights and them not being able to defend themselves. In Canada were are very lucky, we can sweep one government out and another in in a landslide in about 6 weeks. Happens all the time.. and i mean landslides sometimes.

The number of guns already available makes the whole situation difficult. BUT there's no point in not trying.. Under the republicans there already was a ban on the sales of these firearms.

Anyway BACK to the topic of this thread...

The show is a private event so Kudos to the organizers for taking a stand against something they obviously do not believe in and kudos to the vendors who disagree and will not attend.

Just like this board, you can CHOOSE not to be a part of the community if it doesn't fill your needs.

And arguing about it... well, if your arguing with someone whose mind you will never change, you're just yelling.

Pretty much the best post so far.

This is one of the most rational posts I've read in this thread. I knew that guns are a hot button issue with so many Americans but I didn't realize it was for so many Canadians.

Maybe Im wrong , (please show me where they are allowed) but I think that fully auto weapons are all ready BANNED . ??????? end of story .. My shot guns have a plug so I can only load 3 rounds , what does it mater what it looks like ?????? Please I'm in no way a "GUN NUT" if you have a FULLY AUTO WEAPON I do not think you need it . But semi's ??? they are and have been used by hunters (bird guys, like me I have owned a shot gun since I was 16 , never shot ANYONE) for as long as I have been on this earth, NO ONE HERE IS SAYING LET US HAVE AUTO'S , just stop takeing guns away from us hunters , and find a way to stop criminals from killing people !!!! Hunters DO not kill people , no matter what their guns look like !! LOST sick people kill people with guns, knifes , clubs ,rocks, their bare hands , where will the ban stop ????? Any mma guy let lose in a high school with the will to do so , can kill a class room full of students as well or even better than a guy with a gun , ban martial arts training .. GET REAL PEOPLE , deal with the problems in the world that make people want to kill others and stop blameing guns ...If someone wants to kill others THEY WILL , do you really think they will go DUUHH I DONT have an ASSULT weapon I guess I wont do it ????

Edited by capt bruce

i really suggest people learn about the topic before commenting. SEMI AUTOMATIC firearms are one of the most common actions that HUNTERS use. in the eyes of "them", all semi automatic firearms should be banned. that means no more semi auto centerfires or shotguns for hunters too.

are any of those 15 rifles you use for hunting a semi automatic? if so, you're the proud owner of an "assault rifle".

One.. an old .22 which id give up in a heartbeat. And it doesn't have a 30 round clip. Never saw it necessary... if you cant crank that bolt action fast enough, then your not familiar enough with your own firearm. All my bird guns are single shot... 'cept for the ol ladys double barrel.. cause shes not as good a shot as me...

Pretty much the best post so far.

Why thank you!

May be Im wrong , (please show me where they are allowed) but I think that fully auto weapons are all ready BANNED . ??????? end of story .. My shot guns have a plug so I can only load 3 rounds , what does it mater what it looks like ?????? Please I'm in no way a "GUN NUT" if you have a FULLY AUTO WEAPON I do not think you need it . But semi's ??? they are and have been used by hunters (bird guys, like me I have owned a shot gun since I was 16 , never shot ANYONE) for as long as I have been on this earth, NO ONE HERE IS SAYING LET US HAVE AUTO'S , just stop takeing guns away from us hunters , and find a way to stop criminals from killing people !!!! Hunters DO not kill people , no matter what their guns look like !! LOST sick people kill people with guns, knifes , clubs ,rocks, their bare hands , where will the ban stop ????? Any mma guy let lose in a high school with the will to do so , can kill a class room full of stundents as well or even better than a guy with a gun , ban martial arts training .. GET REAL PEOPLE , deal with the problems in the world that make people want to kill others and stop blameing guns ...If someone whats to kill others THEY WILL , do you really think they will go DUUHH I DONT a ASSULT weapon I guess I wont do it ????

I agree automatic weapons are already banned - I think the thing that is the real isssue is the magazine sizes.. a semi with a large mag is probably more dangerous than an auto cause you can take your time. You see its time that people need in order to escape these situations. I really don't want to argue.. but that's like saying you may as well remove all the speed limits on the highways so people can all drive as fast as they want to. There has to be a limit. Ya don't see nascar on the highways... Im not saying take away the guns, im saying lets be reasonable about whats necessary to own in a civilized society.

Thats all me has gots to say.

This post is the second best post so far... hahahaha thats me quoting me!!!!

TJ in places in europe they did do away with speed limits , just because we here in north america let UNTRAINED drivers on our roads, we do need speed limits( cars dont kill people , people that should not have been allowed to drive in the first place KILL PEOPLE ) , dont give out drivers permits to people that CAN NOT DRIVE , and as I said limit the size of magazines, I agree with that, I have a plug in all my shot guns , BUT dont take awAY GUNS , an if we are to be considered civilized , LETS TEACH PEOPLE to be so .... The ownership of certin thinks or not oweing those things DOES not make you civilzed , what you do with the things you own DOES !!!!

My trusty old Remington 870 pump gun also has it's mag plugged, but I can remove that plug in a heartbeat.

The only reason that plug is even there is to make the gun legal for migratory bird hunting.

Even so, I like the ability to remove it so I can fill it with slugs for bear defence.

Those extra couple of rounds could make the difference between life and death.

One of the firearms they want to ban in the US are the defence type shotguns with the large mags.

If I didn't already have my 870 and needed a 12 guage for defence I would get Remmingtons Marine Magnum which is one of those pistol gripped large mag shot guns.

If it were legal in canada I would be carrying a S&W .500 pistol when in the bush for bear defence just because of the portability and ease of carrying.

And no I don't plan to kill a bunch of people with it.

TJ in places in europe they did do away with speed limits ,

..and they have the stricktest gun laws on the planet... whats your point?? Only a select few that can drive a race car should have a licence....

dahhh,. I said I wasnt gonna argue lol.

Who wants to take away our guns?

What??? Someone wants to take away our guns??? Who??

Ok OK .. im really done this time... everybodys got an opinion.. you'll have a hard time changing mine.

(Still its been a reasonable thread lol)

this is how you do it in the usa... if we as hunters got together and did something like this when they removed the sale of guns from the show.... wonder where it would be today... this is just a list of companies not attending the show . this list does not include the tv personalities that have boycotted the show

2 Million Bullets
Abner Druckenmiller
Alaska’s Ravencroft Lodge
Angie & Scott Denny – THE LIFE at Table Mountain
Antler Insanity
Appalachian Big Game TV
Arrowhead Outdoors
Athens Archery
Atlantic Tactical
Bangin Redhedz turkey call manufacturers
Bear Archery
Blaine Anthony, The Bear Whisperer
Blitz TV
Bob Folkrod
Bob Mercier
Bohning Archery
Boondock Outdoors
Bow Hunter’s Den
BowHunter Planet
Bowhunting.com
Cabela’s
Camo Addiction
Campbell Cameras
CanCooker
Chris Brackett
Cochrane River Outfitters
Cold Steel Knives
Continental Divide Outfitters
Cross Canyon Arms
Cutting Edge Bullets
Darkwoods Blind
Dead Ringer
Deer and Deer Hunting.com
Direct Action Tactical Firearms
Domari Nolo Defense Consulting
Dominance is Everything Hunting System
Dominator 365
Droptine Outfitters
DuckWater Boats
Eastern Chapter of Wild Sheep
Eastern Chapter Wild Sheep Foundation
Eastern Outdoors
Easton Bow Hunting
Eddie Salter
Excalibur Crossbow US, Inc
Family Traditions TV
Farmland Trophies Outfitting
Firearms Industry Consulting Group
Foiles Migrators, Inc
Forbes Turkey Calls
FOXPRO High Performance Game Calls
Fred Eichler – Fulldraw Outfitters
Full Circle Outdoors
Furtakers TV
Gut N Tag, LLC
Haley Heath
Heartland Whitetails
High Lonesome Outfitters
HookHunt
Hoyt Archery Inc
Hunter Safety Systems
Hunter Specialties w/ Rick White
Hunters and Guides Connection
Hunters Comfort, LLC
Hunter’s Specialties
International Bowhunting Organization
Iron Kin Hunt Club
IScope
J & M Traditions
Jay Gregory
Jim and Eva Shockey
Jim Shockey
Keystone Country Store
King of the Mountain Inc.
Kinsey’s Outdoors
Kodabow
Lancaster Archery Supply
Larry Weishuhn
Lee & Tiffany Lakosky “The Crush“
Major League Bowhunter
Matt Morett
Men in Treestands Productions
Michael Waddell
Midwest Whitetail Adventures
Mindful of Nature LLC
Mountain Dog Chews
Muddy Outdoors
Muskie Moose, LLC
NasHunt Outdoors
Nature Blinds, LLC
Northern Hideaway Outfitters
Northern Outdoor Lodge
Northern Wilderness Outfitters
Open Season TV
Outdoor Channel Outfitters
Outdoor Edge Knives
Outdoor Specialist Grou
Ozonics Hunting
PA Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs
PA Taxidermist Association, Inc
Pat & Nicole Reever
Pipeline Ridge Hunting Preserve
Primal Urge Outdoors
Primos Hunting Calls
Proc’s Huntin Buddy
Radical Hunter
Ralph & Vicki Cianciarulo – Archers Choice
Red Star Arms
Revolution Hunting
Rhino Outdoors
Rougeaux Taxidermy
Savage Outdoors
SecureIt Tactical
Southern Game Calls
Spook Span
Sportsmen of North America TV
Stan Potts
Stay Ready Inc
Stokerized Stabilizers
Susquehanna River Waterfowlers Assoc
Table Mountain Outfitters
The Bear Whisperer
The Outdoor Loop
The State Line Bone Mine a NW Missouri and Iowa outfitter
The Warmbag
Timberline Outfitters
TNT Archery
TNT Archery
Tom Dokken
Tough Country
Tough Country Products
Trent Cole
Trijicon Inc.
Trijicon, Inc
Triple Mag TV
Trop Gun Shop
Trop Gun Shop
Turnbull Manufacturing
U Slide Bow Hunter
Upper Canyon Outfitters
Wallaston Lake Lodge
Watson Air Lock
Whitetail Bosses
Whitetail Freaks
Whitetail Heaven Outdoors
Whitetail Heaven Outfitters
Wired Outdoors
Woodcock Limited of PA
Woodcock Limited of Pennsylvania
Wyvern Creations
X-Stand Treestands
Zook Cabins

This is bogus. No one on this thread, and no prominent voices in the american media are arguing for banning all guns...no one. One side of this debate is advocating banning certain types of weapons (the other is taking and absolutist, hardline stance that argues the red herring of elite liberals taking the first steps in taking away all the guns.

Art said above about this is a 'gray issue' that will not require black and white solutions...Well, only side is talking in black and white terms here, and that is the side saying 'Outta my cold dead hands...'

Sinclair, you're repeated talk about fully automatic is just another red herring, and a favorite of the NRA types. No one here is talking about fully auto assault weapons. Try to follow along.

Dude, dont call out sinclair. He actually believes he's smarter than everyone here and will go to ridiculous lengths to try and prove it.