eastern huntshow bans assault weapons

chessy

Define assault weapons... This is where the line seems to get very blurry.

NY state just did this is for shotguns

S 37. Subdivision 22 of section 265.00 of the penal law, as added by
chapter 189 of the laws of 2000, is amended to read as follows:
22. "Assault weapon" means
( B) A SEMIAUTOMATIC SHOTGUN THAT HAS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING
CHARACTERISTICS:
(I) A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;
(II) A THUMBHOLE STOCK;
(III) A SECOND HANDGRIP OR A PROTRUDING GRIP THAT CAN BE HELD BY THE
NON-TRIGGER HAND;
(IV) A FIXED MAGAZINE CAPACITY IN EXCESS OF SEVEN ROUNDS;
(V) AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE; OR

Define assault weapon.

Here's the problem: The media says "assault", anti-gunners say "assault", and 99% of the time it's because of how the gun looks.

Now, that big long list of vendors - were they planning on showing pre-1986 fully auto weapons? My guess is no.

Lots of the big celebs are pulling out as well:

Larry Weishuhn

Ralph and Vicki

Michael Waddell

Fred Eichler

Pat and Nicole Reeve

Chris Brackett

and Lee and Tiff announced last night that they won't be going either.

Why don't you ask the same of the guys who put M5 kits on old 323i's?

It's the action that makes the gun, not the cosmetics.

Sin and the art of splitting hairs. Manipulating perception just leads to more trouble than its worth concerning this issue. Like automatic weapons, not necessary.

Edited by moxie

It will soon be 40 years I've been hunting---and Have been very lucky/successful over that timeframe

My opinion----and it's field tested

If you need more than a 5 shot clip to hunt----your no good at it and should quit

Never found a reason to hunt with a handgun either----guess it's hard to sell paranoia that way though

Gotta go hide my flies now before the man comes

With all due respect, the founding fathers did not protect our gun rights so that we could hunt deer and squirrels.

So if your not hunting deer or squirrells---what are you hunting??

Or at you at war with someone

Does'nt your military look after homeland protection??---so would'nt guns just be left to hunt deer and or squirrells

It's a hunt show. Why would you need an assault weapon to go hunting?

i suggest learning about firearms before making ridiculous statements like that.

the "assault weapons" the media and other ignorant folks speak of function EXACTLY the same as your grandfathers semi auto hunting rifle or shotgun, but look different. something these ignorant folks are missing is a pump or lever gun can be fired just as quickly as a semi automatic firearm in a skilled shooters hands.

Wait a second...

Are we talking Assault Weapons or "Assault Weapons".

Big difference.

"assault weapons" ya know, the kind that look "mean" and "scary". not true, fully automatic assault weapons.

They are trying to ban firearms that even look the part.

A friend posted a picture on FB that made the point very well.

Have a look at this picture and tell me which firearm they want to ban and which one they don't.

Ban.jpg

Just so you know they are both Ruger semi auto 10-22's.

The bottom one just has different accessories added to it.

They are both just target/squirrel guns.

Can you kill someone with it, sure you can but there are much better choices.

It's like trying to kill an elephant with a fly swatter.

They want to ban anything that looks anything like a military weapon.

Will it stop violence and mass murder, of course it won't.

It just makes some anti gun people happy is all.

it's rather frustrating that these ignorant anti gun folk HAVE ZERO CLUE about firearms and think some should be prohibited simply because of how they look.

here's an idea...LEARN about something rather than relying on media lies before spewing filth about it...

Sin and the art of splitting hairs. Manipulating perception just leads to more trouble than its worth concerning this issue. Like automatic weapons, not necessary.

i suggest you read and understand the difference between semi auto and automatic...

It will soon be 40 years I've been hunting---and Have been very lucky/successful over that timeframe

My opinion----and it's field tested

If you need more than a 5 shot clip to hunt----your no good at it and should quit

Never found a reason to hunt with a handgun either----guess it's hard to sell paranoia that way though

Gotta go hide my flies now before the man comes

that's probably because it's illegal in canada and you have never had the opportunity to hunt with one? here's a few reasons to have a handgun:

-protection from bears/dangerous game where carrying a full sized firearm is not practical. ie. hiking, fishing, etc

-to finish wounded game rather than making a mess with your shotgun or rifle

-an option other than a long gun

-quick follow up shots in tight quarters. ie hog hunting

-shooting at the range with friends and family

just because YOU don't have or see a reason to own something doesn't mean other people should share your opinion.

i think using a fly rod is stupid and unnecessary because you can use a spinning rod to catch the same fish. i guess it's time to ban fly rods?

my point exactly...;)

How is it splitting hairs?

There's a big difference between auto and semi-auto.

But if a gun "looks" auto, then that's just as bad?

I believe how it looks can and does effects interpretation. Combining fiction and reality in this case is a dangerous thing, especially south of the 49th.

Well I've known many excellent outdoorsman throughout the wildest places this country had to offer

None of us ever had a handgun and yet we survived

I've finished off many animals with my rifle----never an issue

Being prepared and life experiences allow you to get by-----I guess it's getting to be a lost skill in Today's Rambo world

i suggest you read and understand the difference between semi auto and automatic...

that's probably because it's illegal in canada and you have never had the opportunity to hunt with one? here's a few reasons to have a handgun:

-protection from bears/dangerous game where carrying a full sized firearm is not practical. ie. hiking, fishing, etc

-to finish wounded game rather than making a mess with your shotgun or rifle

-an option other than a long gun

-quick follow up shots in tight quarters. ie hog hunting

-shooting at the range with friends and family

just because YOU don't have or see a reason to own something doesn't mean other people should share your opinion.

i think using a fly rod is stupid and unnecessary because you can use a spinning rod to catch the same fish. i guess it's time to ban fly rods?

my point exactly... ;)

Just because YOU find an excuse(s) to own something doesn't mean other people should share your opinion or that you should own it.

i suggest learning about firearms before making ridiculous statements like that.

It wasn't a statement: it was a question!

Ref:

http://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=strunk+and+white&tag=msncahydra-20&index=aps&hvadid=56783761&ref=pd_sl_76ir8v1ccm_e

There has not been anything resembling a reasonable answer posted as yet, just some preposterous linkage between assault weapons and fly fishing!!

We all agree murder is bad.

Why can't ch312 have his gun?

Exactly. We trusted him with hundreds of other types and styles of firearms. What changed when he picked up a semi-auto black rifle? Nothing. He is no more a threat than he ever was.

Why must some folks try to tell me what I need, or what I should or should not own? Why do I even have to state a reason? It is such a simple and hypocritical place from which they operate.

How is it splitting hairs?

There's a big difference between auto and semi-auto.

Really? I carried an FN 7.62mm C1A1 for ten years, and in just a few minutes, using nothing more than a piece of paper, I can convert it to full auto. I would almost be willing to bet that I could still do it blindfolded. Depending upon how a rifle's trigger group is designed, there is NOT a big difference.

Edited by Dave Bailey

The constitutional right to bear arms was amended to give the citizens the power to rise against the government if need be.

Which means that citizens should also have the right to own B-2 stealth bombers, Abrams tanks, guided missile destroyers, 105mm howitzers, smart bombs, anti-personnel mines, A-10 Warthog attack aircraft, Trident submarines, cruise missiles, Apache helicopters, Nimitz class aircraft carriers, atomic weapons...

Although I really loath to get into thisconversation again, I think he point has so obviously been missed that I ought to. At no time was I comparing firearms to fishing. Merely describing the art of divide and conquer, as it seems to have escaped everyone. The example of the bait fisherman and the fly fisherman was merely to point you in the direction of how antis use the technique by pitting those within the same community against each other. In our case, the hunters where left alone with their hunting arms, and told "we only want those nasty "assault style guns". When they had them either restricted or prohibited, they then began campaigning to have semi auto duck guns and beloved semi auto deer guns like the remington 11-87 and the 7400 restricted or banned. One only has to look to Australia if you want examples. Here we have managed to beat them back, and set their confiscation plans back, by hunters and sport shooters ( you know the black gun guys) combining efforts, funds and political will. The lesson has been learned in "our" community, except apparently by a few, who probably never put any time or money into the fight anyway. For the most part, it's unlikely divide and conquer will work again with the gun guys, because we know once they have the black guns, they will be comig for the wood and blued ones too! That is all the reference of bait fishing/ fly fishing was getting at. Because mark my words, P3TA would try to use that against the fisherman. What better ally than one within the community your trying to work against!

P3TA is now 30 years into the game and has had zero impact on what I do or how I do it

Continuing to use them as a threat is tiring and ubstantiated--although I would like to meet Pam Anderson

The current talks on assault weapons has obviously come about because of the horrifying incidents at Newtown and Colo etc..etc...etc

Those high capacity mags are the target---if your fumbling to change clips----even a few lives may be saved---or loons may be overtaken

The constitutional right to bear arms was amended to give the citizens the power to rise against the government if need be.

Don't worry Sin, If and when the time comes the people in our neck of the woods will find a way to acquire what is needed as is demonstrated worldwide on what seems to be a more frequent basis these days. We won't need amendments to carry it through. I just hope my kids will never see that day.

P3TA is now 30 years into the game and has had zero impact on what I do or how I do it

Continuing to use them as a threat is tiring and ubstantiated--although I would like to meet Pam Anderson

The current talks on assault weapons has obviously come about because of the horrifying incidents at Newtown and Colo etc..etc...etc

Those high capacity mags are the target---if your fumbling to change clips----even a few lives may be saved---or loons may be overtaken

I guess you never were involved with Ontario's spring bear hunt then. :whistling:

Look what political pressure put on some Southern Ontario politicians by some antis did for it.

It did a lot of damage to a lot of Northerm Ontario businesses and created a lot of nuisance bear issues.

True. Our founding fathers were very, very wise.

I'm sure a well armed militia would be beneficial in 1791, but it's 2013... The guys pushing their 2nd amendment rights are as bad as the folks calling for an all out gun ban if you ask me...

There's always room for improvement, but on both sides you've got people that aren't willing to budge at all..