Missing ice hut

Big Cliff

Put my ice hut out yesterday on Sturgeon Lake. 90K + winds last night, ice hut gone this morning, guess I didn't anchor it well enough. Tried to look for it but it is blowing and snowing so hard you can't see more than about 50 yards.

Anyone on Sturgeon lake see it please give me a call. Blue, 6X6 numbers on it are PB 2784

My # 705-328-0577

Thanks

Big Cliff

Far shore in the direction the wind was blowing. Happened to me before. You'll be lucky if it stayed upright and slid on the skis. If it hit a rough spot and tipped over there could be some damage.

Could be in Bobcayegon by now. Only problem is my rods and auger are in it. I'll miss the hut but I'd really like to get the gear back.

That really was a nasty blow last night, and it's still howling!

Cliff, with the wind direction, I'm sure it will be between you and the marina - not far. And there are no transients out on the lake - nobody local would touch it, except to secure it and return it. I'm optimistic you'll get it back whole and intact.

Well, found the hut, lots of damage but we'll get it fixed up. At least I know where it is and I can recover my gear.

Going to take next Friday off so my buddy and I will work on it so it is ready for next weekend.

Lew, thanks for the offer, very kind of you! We have 4 guys here ready to help me bring it back home but we are going to wait until this wind dies down, it is still pretty bad out there and the hut isn't going anywhere from where it is now.

Well, found the hut, lots of damage but we'll get it fixed up. At least I know where it is and I can recover my gear.

Going to take next Friday off so my buddy and I will work on it so it is ready for next weekend.

Lew, thanks for the offer, very kind of you! We have 4 guys here ready to help me bring it back home but we are going to wait until this wind dies down, it is still pretty bad out there and the hut isn't going anywhere from where it is now.

Big Cliff - if you would like to know how to securely anchor your hut on new clean ice, send me a pm. I'd be glad to help.

Big Cliff - if you would like to know how to securely anchor your hut on new clean ice, send me a pm. I'd be glad to help.

A little late now LOL. I do know how but didn't think it needed to stand up to 90K winds. Had a rope on it but the rope broke. Oh well, lesson learned. I really do appreciate the offer though!

Well, after having a chance to check out the damage to the hut a little better it looks like it is going to have to be rebuilt pretty much from the floor up. It must have hit the dock doing 80 or 90 k and the dock didn't move. At least all my gear is home. We'll work at getting the hut (or what's left of it back here on Friday.

Thanks for all the replies!

The only dock I could see it going to if it wasn't in moorings , is the rock crib one way in the bay there, that must of been a ride!

Cliff you know where i am if you need a hand, or i can sit there and offer moral support.

with this cold weather this week i could take the seirra out by friday and pull it in let me know

The only dock I could see it going to if it wasn't in moorings , is the rock crib one way in the bay there, that must of been a ride!

Cliff you know where i am if you need a hand, or i can sit there and offer moral support.

with this cold weather this week i could take the seirra out by friday and pull it in let me know

Earnie, she went right into the Moorings and impaild itself on one of the big docks that point out toward the center of the lake. It had flipped up onto it's back which by the time we found the hut, was frozen into the slush. I can get to it easy enough with the ATV but we are just going to have to wait for warmer weather or we'll just destroy what is left of it.

Thanks for the offer though!

My friend's hut blew into the same area. He ended up taking pics of your hut (along with his), thought the description sounded familiar. Looked like a decent amount of damage done to just the one side. Hopefully shes salvagable, monday is looking like it's supposed to hit around -1ºC, so you may be able to get it out if it continues to warm.