fitting one piece rods in smaller cars?

northernpike56

I got a bunch of money and stuff for christmas so I decided I'm going to spend a bit on a baitcasting setup for pike and bass next year. The rod I want to get will be a st croix mojo bass 7' MH 1pc. I want a shimano curado for the setup but that doesnt matter.

My parents two cars that I will be driving are an 08 bmw 335i and a 2011 mazda 3. the mazdas rear seats fold down but I don't think the bmws do.

Will I be able to fit my proposed rod into my cars safely and comforably (for me and the rod), and if I can fit the rod in, will I still have enough room to take friends along too? I don't want to do it if I will be running the risk of losing an eyeball or something if I ever get in a crash.

Both cars are pretty small, so can anybody who also tries to put 1 pc rods in smaller cars tell me how they do it? and should I get a rod sock to protect my investment?

Thanks,

Matt

PS, if a 1 piece rod can't fit or wouldnt be a good choice, any other reccomendations of good 2 pc rods?

If the seats fold its dead easy, passenger rides with rod tip beside them and you remind them every 3 or 4 minutes not to break it.

I've fit my 7'6" along with 3 other guys and all their gear into my civic, you'll be fine.

I fought this battle a couple years ago with one piece rods and ultimately went with 2 piece rods . The reasons being that the rods would fit into the car/truck but you were always looking at making

them fit around things and watching that you didn't break them . I do alot of traveling by car/truck with my rods and I was finally done with this routine . As well as , my quad adventures were doing

a number on my one piece rods. If you are only traveling a couple times you will be okay but every weekend, it becomes a hassle !

I still have my one piece rods and do use them on trips that i'm not crammed for space but the 2 piecers go everywhere else.

As for quality on them both I have shimano compre's and the one piece does feel/handle a bit better then my 2 piece but not better enough to jam them into a loaded car/truck on a trip :(

Depending on the vehicle, it's often possible to get bungees of the appropriate length clipped into the trim of the roof liner. You can then slide the rods through (rotate so the guides point to the side), and they're up and out of the way. No worries about rod tips getting closed in the door or someone bending a guide.

My Avenger has a nice little drop down spot in the back seat. I just slide my rods through it ,by way of the trunk. It was a selling feature.LOL

I do this on my dads accord too, in my mom's CRV I slide the rods from the trunk along the roof to the passenger seat, they stay snug against the top of the car until you take them out (the only thing you have to remember is when you open the door sometimes they will slide out, watch out you don't crush them when you close it and you'll be fine)

rod soxs are a great way to protect your investments they are cheap insurance and they also keep the rods from getting tangled if you carry a few together already rigged. With sox on I can carry 8 rods in the rod locker and pull then out one at a time.

Art

if the seats don't fold down, put the butt in the front passenger foot well, between the seats and into the driver side corner of the rear windshield, you can gently bend the tips a bit if needed.....rod socks help protect from scratches, dings, etc...but also help reduce noise from rods clacking against the glass or any interior trim

I've also done this in my old car with a rod in a plastic tube and about a foot out the driver side rear window (4 door - not sure what your cars are)...I thought I might get pulled over, not sure if it would get me a ticket, but I was lucky enough for a good year or so

I came up with a system for the rods in my Jeep Patriot this past summer. I took 2 bungee cords, twisted them together, and hooked them across the ceiling at the back. I had some vents back there that they fit into, so I'm not damaging anything.

I then took a ratchet strap for the front, and stretched it tight between the front seat assist handles in the roof liner. I slip the rod butts in the "twists" of the bungee, and the tips rest on the ratchet strap. I then loop an elastic band over the rod and ratchet strap....stretching it snug but not too tight around the nearest eyelet.

Rods ride along the roof, pretty much between the two front seats and never get crushed or in the way of heads, arms, or luggage. I maxed out at around 10 or 11 rods at a time.

Every once in a while while travelling to my dads house without the boat, My buddy and I fit 8 , 1 piece rods with the butt sections at the foot area of the passenger side and the rods between the two seats. My buddy looses some leg room but thats his problem.

You will be fine

if you do not have any passengers this is easy. recline the passenger seat as far down and back it can go. open the passenger door, and place the tip of the as far back behind the driver as you can. then place the handle on the floor mat of the passenger seat, and place the tip all the way to the rear driver's side. i can fit 8ft rods into most vehicles this way

i'm going to be shopping for a new (to me) truck some time this year.

I will have my 10.5' dipsy rods to make sure they'll fit all the way, long way, with no crossing.

my current yukon (2003) allows for 11' rods no issue (not the XL version of the truck either).

have to be able to keep your rods in the vehicle without breaking them down - absolutely!