NF Wolves

davey buoy

I know wolves can be intimidating ,have seen them very close years ago camping. I always heard there has never been a documented account of a wolf attacking a human. Anyone know any different?. Recently stopped my truck by a coyote standing on hwy #11 south of Barclay. Looked at me and would not move.That's one animal I don't trust.

I have had a coyote that would not back down.

Came by the farm three days in arow

Was not intimidated one bit by my yelling. Even the horses charging it would not scare it off. He has since been properly taken care of.

Never been close to a wolf. However I don't think would trust one.

the myth of never a documented attack against a human is largely spread by P3TA/tree huggers/those that cry when people eat meat, there have been well documented cases and there have also been many other "unconfirmed" cases...the criteria for a documented attack can be questionable and subject to high scrutiny depending on authority involved

there was a large talk about documented wolf attacks at my club several months ago which spilled over into a forum, I will try to dig up some links and post them up here...you may have heard some of the drama involving the big wolf contest in northern BC, I am amazed at how many people are simply out of touch with reality sometimes

I don't support eradicating wolf populations, ie: the algonquin population or coastal wolves in BC(which are genetically unique) but I do support harvesting of healthy populations, many areas of western canada now have large, healthy and borderline troublesome wolf populations....but every now and then a picture of a dead, legally harvested wolf will spurr some tree hugger to go nuts and cry wolf so to say

I had a run in with a fox one day while working on Base Borden. Came right out in front of me so I kind of stomped my foot and yelled at it. Well didn't the little bugger charge me. Came right up to within 5ft then turned and ran off. I almost had to use the "boot wrench" on him. :)

I guess a wild animal....is just that...wild.

I had not heard of any of these events and am a bit surprised.

I too was under the impression there had never been a documented case of any wolf on human atacks.

I know I've had a few cool experiences over the years, one particularily that sticks out happened

3 years ago in Algonquin park. We had a full Pack come through on the lake we were fishing....it was quite amazing to hear them howling from so close(unbeleivably loud)

It was both haunting an wicked cool LOL!!!

Mind you I was in a canoe so...I had zero worries regardless.

I've never really been to concerned about them when camping...nor have I been overly concerned about the Coyotes as far a safety goes BUT...

They have been getting pretty bold lately and I do have a bit of concern for my Dogs and Kids when they are out playing.

Edited by Cookslav

few more links, copying all this quickly, hope I don't duplicate anything

These requirements for documentation negate all historical records

As with rabid wolves, the biologist can say, "There are no `documented' cases of wild healthy wolves attacking humans." In order to be "documented" these criteria must be met:

1. The wolf has to be killed, examined and found to be healthy.

2. It must be proven that the wolf was never kept in captivity in its entire life.

3. There must be an eyewitnesses to the attack.

4. The person must die from their wounds (bites are generally not considered attacks according to the biologists).

It has also been possible to identify two very distinct kinds of aggression against man by wolves:

A) When the attacks have dietary motivations:

o They occur in a rather vast territorial range;

o They are occur homogenously in a long period of time, sometimes even many months;

o They occur principally against young people;

o More than one wolf can be involved;

o If the attack is not interrupted, the victim is transported elsewhere and then dismembered;

o If the attack is interrupted, rabies does not occur in the injured victim.

B) When the attacks are committed by rabies infected individuals:

o The attacks are numerous, concentrated in a small territory, with a behaviour which we can call “bite and run”, and occur in a brief period of time;

o Men, women and children are attacked indiscriminately;

o Unmistakeably committed by an isolated individual;

o The attack never concludes with the transportation of the victim elsewhere or the

successive dismemberment. Hydrophobia is diagnosed in the victim and then his/her

death is recorded."

http://washingtonwolf.info/human_attacks.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenton_Joel_Carnegie_wolf_attack

http://www.vancouversun.com/mobile/news/world-news/Local+hero+56year+woman+Russias+North+Caucasus+axes+wolf+attacked/7539073/story.html

alaska gov't report on Candice Berner, the teacher attack:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/home/news/pdfs/wolfattackfatality.pdf

I couldn't find the full list of historical references, I believe it was a university study sometime ago, this is all I could copy and paste

Father and son, family name Olson

March 7, 1888

New Rockford, North Dakota. The two men started towards a haystack a few yards from the house to shovel a path around the stack when they were surrounded by a pack and devoured alive.[47]

Unknown African American, male

Kentucky, near the Ohio border. While traveling through a heavily forested area, two African Americans were attacked by a pack of wolves. Using their axes, they attempted to fight off the wolves. Both men were knocked to the ground and severely wounded. One man was killed. The other dropped his axe and escaped up a tree. There he spent the night. The next morning the man climbed down from the tree. The bones of his friend lay scattered on the snow. Three wolves lay dead.[47]

James Smith

March 4, 1910

near Springfield, MO [51]. Wolves attacked him whilst he was alone in the woods, waiting for the return of his brother. When the latter returned he found his brother's bones. In the centre of a circle of five dead wolves, was an empty repeating rifle, showing that he had been overpowered before he could reload his weapon.[50]

Trapper and two Natives

Ontario. When a trapper did not return to the post office as promised, two natives were sent to find him. All three were killed by wolves.[28]

Ben Cochrum

Manitoba. North of Fisher river on Lake Winnipeg. The victim's bones were found among the remains of 11 wolves. Seven had been shot and four had been clubbed to death. Only after his rifle stock was smashed did the trapper apparently cease to fight and succumb to the wolf pack.[50]

But wolves still belong in the wild and their strains are unique and are dwindling in numbers the strain in Haliburton are in big trouble cause if breeding with coyotes and loss of habitat the strain is its own breed most people even from hundreds of years ago call the wolf the "devil" it's a bad stereotype !!!! It's us that's their worst enemy .... They are curious but do not hunt humans that's for sure .... They are more afraid of us than we are of them.. We infringe on them not the other way around we all know they need huge territories and they are getting pushed out and made to go where they usually would not I seen a big special on Ontario wolves just over a week ago it was great !! I even made a post here about it....

Let me know where and I'll go take care of it, lol.

X2!

And by the sounds of it Familyfisherman too. And a few others on here.

We should start a Coyote hunting pose.

Drive around in pick up trucks with gun racks! :canadian:

Not sure if this has been posted on the thread yet. There was to many links for me to look at tonight. This is crazy Coyote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVE9qfg7yI

Edited by N.A.W

X2!

And by the sounds of it Familyfisherman too. And a few others on here.

We should start a Coyote hunting pose.

Drive around in pick up trucks with gun racks! :canadian:

Not sure if this has been posted on the thread yet. There was to many links for me to look at tonight. This is crazy Coyote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVE9qfg7yI

Crazy clip!!!!! whats that dude thinking

count me in!

Had two of them interested in my GSP while bird hunting a property in Springwater a month ago.

Going out in the AM with some 3.5 inch 00 dead coyote !!

Take em when you can!

R

Edited by RyanMc

As far as the clip.... Dude is kinda crazy.

Beautiful animal yes, but encouraging it to nip and your hand or chew on your boot is asking for trouble.

Curious animals will always come back. If I was him would have gotten the boot upside the head

I know of 3 that might eventually come to attacking.. 3 of the 4 that were "released" by vandals from the Haliburton wildlife sanctuary.

http://www.haliburtonforest.com/component/k2/item/52-wolf-release

these animals have been born and raised in captivity, and lack the natural instincts required for pack hunting.. and during the toughest time for wolves when the majority of their food sources are in hibernation... and once starvation kicks in, they might become dangerous... what makes matters worse is they have had major exposure to humans and won't be as timid as wild wolves and people could see this as a threat if they linger around property with children or livestock. Such a terrible story for such amazing animals. I hope the culprits are caught and punished sternly.