Lake Nipissing Ice reports

Nipfisher

Hit the hut today with Joeytier around noon and fished from 1pm to 4pm. Got into a few perch at the start and then around 2pm the walleye started to bite. We ended up catching 5 walleye and lost just as many. Caught close to 10 perch and lost a decent pike at the hole.

We kept our 2 walleye each and I took home 2 perch while Joey brought home 3 perch.

SANY0033.jpg

SANY0034.jpg

SANY0031.jpg

Good start to the season.

Big surprise was $17.40 for 3 dozen Emerald Shiners.:wallbash:

Edited by Nipfisher

Great job guys!

Freeze any leftover minnows you have this year. It's not worth throwing the leftovers on the ice anymore.

or... do you have an aerator system for you garage Blair whistling.gif I know you have plenty of minnow traps.

They are all still alive in my Minnow Motel. I do have an aerator system in the garage but nothing works better then keeping them under the ice.

Have you tried Bowman's bait? I don't know what he carries in the winter, but in the summer his prices are great and quality is really high.

Cram, I am pretty loyal to Discount Bait at the corner of Trout Lake Rd. and the by-pass. However, Billy Bob's is selling 3 doz for $10 so I may have to visit Billy when these run out.

The advantage of Discount Bait is they treat me well and I average 15-18 minnows per dozen. They have also permitted me to buy bulk by the pound for our annual GTG.

Great job guys!

Freeze any leftover minnows you have this year. It's not worth throwing the leftovers on the ice anymore.

I thought about grabbing the 2 shiners in the belly of one of the walleye I cleaned. Joeytier will tell you I needed all 3 chances to get the bugger.

A buddy and I hit the hut just before 10am this morning. Fished until 4:30 and ended up icing 11 walleye (kept our 4), 26 perch (kept 9), 1 pike.

Stories for the day are lost a big pike on head shakes when he cut my line. Lost a HUGE walleye for Nipissing when the hook popped out as I tried to drag it up on the ice. My guestimate was between 6 and 7 lbs. based on size of head but never saw the length so could have weighed more. She had shoulders. I tried my best and put my arm in the hole to my elbow and had the fish pressed against the underside of the ice.

All released walleye were 13" or smaller.